Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING - i7 9700K - RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most of you run a video card so this won't apply.
I am running on the native IGPU using the displayPort. My HDMI port displays video right up to the point that the igpu activates acceleration, then the screen turns off. I plug the monitor back into the DP and the video returns. I have used the Intel Framebuffer Patcher (HackinTool) experimenting with all the various ports and types with no joy.
Anyone with the TUF Z390m-Pro Gaming have both Motherboard DP and HDMI ports working?

UPDATE: Found Solution for Asus motherboards.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ack-screen-problem.269149/page-5#post-1889607

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.46.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.46.41 PM.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I know most of you run a video card so this won't apply.
I am running on the native IGPU using the displayPort. My HDMI port displays video right up to the point that the igpu activates acceleration, then the screen turns off. I plug the monitor back into the DP and the video returns. I have used the Intel Framebuffer Patcher (HackinTool) experimenting with all the various ports and types with no joy.
Anyone with the TUF Z390m-Pro Gaming have both Motherboard DP and HDMI ports working?
@Toad are you running dual monitors or just a single one?

I could use some assistance. It's been about 5 years since I've built a hackintosh, and I just put together a new machine.

I'm using this motherboard, with a 9700K, 64GB of ram (16GBx4), a Radeon RX 580, 2 Samsung 970 NVME SSD drives, and the same BCM94360CS2 module in the Asus WiFi Go slot. I can't seem to get the system fully booted, and it just hangs right around the time it finds the WiFi card. I am not using the onboard video or multi-monitor, just a single monitor plugged into the RX 580.

Here are the steps I took.

- Using UniBeast 9.0.0, I installed a clean copy of Mojave.
- Downloaded latest Clover and installed that onto the USB
- Downloaded the latest Lilu, Whatevergreen, and AppleALC kexts and installed that into the kexts/other on the EFI partition of the USB
- Confirmed that I have these selected in Clover Configurator: ApfsDriverLoader-64, AptioMemoryFix-64, EmuVariableUefi-64

I'm using the same BIOS settings as @KriptonSecret, and I also tried his config.plist as well as the Clover default, both hang at the same point.

What am I missing? Did I setup the installer properly? I remember back in the old days you had to do some funky configuration setup for 64GB of memory, is that still the case?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

-F

What am I missing? Did I setup the installer properly? I remember back in the old days you had to do some funky configuration setup for 64GB of memory, is that still the case?

Simplify:
1. Remove 3 of the RAM sticks. Retain the stick in slot B2.
2. BIOS setup by @KriptonSecret is complicated. Clear CMOS and reset BIOS to Step 3 in: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/
3. Reinstall the original Wi-Fi module on the board.
4. Remove Lilu, Whatevergreen, and AppleALC from kexts/Other - RX580 should run without WEG, maybe not well.
5. Reboot from the UniBeast USB stick (select in BIOS Boot Options), not the EFI/Clover on the internal drive.
(System may freeze on shutdown/restart without EmuVariableUefi-64 - no big deal while you troubleshoot Wi-Fi.
Power down to shutdown/restart).

Wi-Fi:
When and only when you have the system booting cleanly again to a Login box, reinstall BCM94360CS2 module in the Asus WiFi Go slot and boot from UniBeast - does system hang as before?
Troubleshooting:
- does BIOS recognize the BCM94360CS2 Wi-Fi module?
- @pastrychef has extensive experience with BCM94360CS2 modules - see post #40 on https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ac-build-w-i9-9900k-amd-vega-56.239969/page-4
- could your BCM94360CS2 module be defective?

NVRAM
When you have resolved Wi-Fi, reboot from internal drive - does system hang as before?

Audio:
Your ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO board uses a new Realtek S1200A audio codec that requires AppleALC 1.3.5 (may not be available in MultiBeast or on Github yet). See post#119 in thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-audio-codec-applealc.264396/page-12 for latest AppleALC (1.3.5 Debug) kext - credit @toleda

Also, for compatibility with AppleALC 1.3.5, download the latest Lilu.kext posted in post #98 in thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-audio-codec-applealc.264396/page-10 - credit @toleda

When you have resolved Wi-Fi, reinstall Lilu and AppleALC kexts in /Library/Extensions (not kexts/Other) using KextBeast (and then repair permissions, caches). Restart and check Sys Prefs/Sound for Output/Input.

Last edited:
I could use some assistance. It's been about 5 years since I've built a hackintosh, and I just put together a new machine.

I'm using this motherboard, with a 9700K, 64GB of RAM (16GBx4), a Radeon RX 580, 2 Samsung 970 NVMe SSD drives, and the same BCM94360CS2 module in the Asus WiFi Go slot. I can't seem to get the system fully booted, and it just hangs right around the time it finds the WiFi card. I am not using the onboard video or multi-monitor, just a single monitor plugged into the RX 580.

Here are the steps I took.

- Using UniBeast 9.0.0, I installed a clean copy of Mojave.
- Downloaded latest Clover and installed that onto the USB
- Downloaded the latest Lilu, Whatevergreen, and AppleALC kexts and installed that into the kexts/other on the EFI partition of the USB
- Confirmed that I have these selected in Clover Configurator: ApfsDriverLoader-64, AptioMemoryFix-64, EmuVariableUefi-64

I'm using the same BIOS settings as @KriptonSecret, and I also tried his config.plist as well as the Clover default, both hang at the same point.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

-F

Just check that you didn’t do stupid things like I did that made this a lot harder. With system hanging, crashing, etc.
1) the manual shows RAM going into slots A2 and B2 for just two sticks. That may be incorrect, depending on your Mac SMBIOS configuration. (it may not have dual channel configuration.) You can even temporarily forget dual channels as you get up and running using A1 and A2. It’s weird I know but Apple systems like it. When system is up and running stable, move RAM to proper dual channel configuration and confirm with boosted Geekbench scores.

Also under BIOS Boot menu - Secure Boot Keys
The BIOS likes to activate Secure Keys. Make sure these are all zero’s.
This screwed with the macOS system causing slow boots and hangs after re-zeroing the keys to disable secure boot. I also had to reformat the NVMe M.2 and reinstall the system. Then reinstall clover for good measure.
You may know all this, but I’m being detailed for others that might need this information.

Cheers

Attachments

• 336369D0-F378-4033-82FA-5A447B87F878.jpeg
    336369D0-F378-4033-82FA-5A447B87F878.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Last edited:
I went to a single memory stick setup, pulled the WiFI card, and tried both BIOS methods. I can boot and install just fine, but when the system goes to boot up post-install, it starts to boot, looks like it's going to finish and then just lands on a black screen indefinitely.

So progress, but still not quite there. I've tried default UniBeast per the instructions, I've tried updating the kexts on the EFI partition of the UniBeast, and I've tried removing the kexts on UniBeast and all produce a similar result. Install works, boot post-install fails and never gets to the point where you setup your account, etc.

-F

Disregard my previous post. After a full nights sleep, I regrouped and started from scratch and have a good working vanilla install of Mojave 10.14.

I did use the latest version of Clover (r4784), I had been using r4775. Also, I used the clover defaults instead of loading KriptonSecret's config.plist. BIOS settings are the same as KriptonSecret's, with the exception of Secure Boot>OS Other.

Working:
  • Wifi
  • Ethernet
  • iMessages/Continuity/handoff
  • Sleep/Wake
  • Shutdown/Restart
  • Lock/unlock
  • Quicklook/preview

Not working:
  • Onboard Sound - ALC S1200A isn't currently working on hackintosh. I use a USB DAC so not a huge issue
  • Bluetooth - partially working? the system sees my bluetooth module and is active, I cannot see any BT device when browsing, but can see the hackintosh from my iMac and my iPhone. Might just be a bad antenna pigtail connection. Update: I was able to connect to my mx master 2 mouse, but the connection is spotty.
  • USB - Partially working. USB2 flash drive connected to a USB 3.1gen1 port on back is working (and hella fast!), but my usb3 drive is not recognized. I need to investigate this and probably map all the USB ports out.
Would love to know the exact steps you took to do the install. Did you UniBeast and then install the newer Clover over the one included with UniBeast onto the USB before installing?

I have identical hardware to you, and I had the same issue you had in your previous post: I get to the post-install and it just black screens. Would love to know what you did to do a vanilla install cleanly.

Thanks!

-F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back