Not open for further replies.
TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING + i7 9700K + RX 580

Components

ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119160

Intel Core i7-9700K BOX
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHN6KBZ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117958

MSI Gaming Radeon RX 580 256-bit 8GB GDRR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready CFX Graphics Card (RX 580 ARMOR MK2 8G OC)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NX4GCF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137290

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4 21300) C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0123ZC44Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233834

Intel SSD 660p Series (1.0TB M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x 4 3D2 QLC) 2 2281" (978350)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GCL6BR4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167462

Antec Truepower Gold Tp-650G Atx12v & Eps12v Power Supply "Prod. Type: Cases & Power Supplies/Power Supplies 600W & Over"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URY0BVC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

Already Owned

Lenovo LI2821 28-Inch 4K LED-Lit Monitor

Comments

To make my build work, I got a lot of hints from this forum. So, hope this helps someone.
Now my build is working almost perfectly, including sleep/shutdown on Mojave(10.14.1). As long as I have tested, the only thing that's not working is onboard audio. I saw a thread here that the audio chip on the motherboard is not compatible yet, but it won't be a big problem as USB audio is perfectly working including Hi-Res.

Installation Notes
To run Mojave, you have to update (just from App Store) from High Sierra. Don't try to install Mojave from scratch. It would be a wast of time :)

UniBeast Settings
1. Download UniBeast 8.3.2
2. Follow the instructions and make a bootable USB stick
3. Download Clover Configurator
4. Mount the bootable USB stick from Clover Configurator and load config.plist
5. Select the Boot tab and check Fixshutdown
6. Select the Install Drivers and install AptiMemoryFix-64 and EmuVariableUefi-64
7. Save the config.plist, then install macOS.

EDITED: Mojave jpeg problem
I realized that the preview app hangs when it tries to open a jpeg file. It is a know issue and there are solutions for the issue such as NoVPAJpeg.kext, but NoVPAJpeg.kext didn't work for me(I used NoVPAJPeg v1. As it's an active repository, if there is any update, you should try the kext first as it's the easiest solution.).
In case NoVPAJpeg.kext doesn't work, follow the instructions originally posted on a repository issue thread(https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg/issues/2).

1. Clover Configurator and open config.pllist
2. Click SMBIOS and edit following fields
Product Nam: iMac18,3
Bios Version: IM191.88Z.0058.B00.1705091711
Board-ID: Mac-CF21D135A7D34AA6

As a consequence, somehow the ethernet driver is broken after the SMBIOS update. Simply re-installing the driver by MultiBeast worked for me and now everything is working properly.

UEFI Settings
1. To access UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Use the search function, and type 4G
4. Enable 4G Decoding

MultiBeast Settings
Post installation is easy, as this board doesn't require a DSDT. Just install IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0 from the Drivers/Network.

Updating to Mojave from High Sierra
1. Download UniBeast 9.0.0
2. Make a bootable USB stick following the UniBeast Settings above(You need to check Fixshutdown, and install AptiMemory and EmuVariableUefi-64)
3. Download and start upgrading from the App Store
4. Once your build restarts, boot from the USB stick with UniBeast 9.0.0 and launch NOT the installer in the USB stick BUT the installer from your build's HD. Always boot from the USB stick as your build will restart a few times during the update.
6. After the update to Mojave, update your EFI on your build's HD to the EFI on the USB stick.

Last edited:
How is your build holding up? I am thinking of doing something very similar to yours.
Sorry for the late reply. There is no problem at all for my build so far. In addition to the original post, a USB bluetooth dongle is now working with a bluetooth headphone and MagicTracpad 2. If you don't care the onboard audio, this combination would be great.

Mount the bootable USB stick from Clover Configurator and load config.plist
1. Where can I get the config.plist for the TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING?
2. At what step should I load from the bootable stick and install Mac OS?

Last edited:
1. Where can I get the config.plist for the TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING?
2. At what step should I load from the bootable stick and install Mac OS?

1. You don't need to get config.plist. UniBeast makes it and it should work if you follow the UniBeast settings.
2. Do the 1 to 7 steps at first, then install macOS.

Got Mojave on this MB from scratch. Including HD 630 full hardware acceleration: Quick Sync, HEVC, JPEG quick preview - all ok:

BIOS:
Ai Tweaker:
  • Ai Overclock Tuner: XMP I (just for speed)
  • ASUS MultiCore Enhancement: Auto
Advanced:
  • Platform Misc Configuration (lower temperature of Radeon):
    • PCI Express Native Power Management: Enabled
    • Native ASPM: Enabled
    • PCH DMI ASPM: Auto
    • ASPM: Auto
    • L1 Substates: L1.1 & L1.2
    • PEG - ASPM: Auto
  • CPU Configuration:
    • Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology: Enabled
    • Hyper-Threading: Enabled
    • CPU-Power Management Control:
      • Intel SpeedStep: Enabled
      • Intel Speed Shift: Enabled
      • CFG Lock: Disabled
  • System Agent (SA) Configuration
    • VT-d: Disabled
    • Above 4G Decoding: Disabled
    • Graphics Configuration (Radeon rx580 GPU + Intel HD 630 iGPU hardware acceleration):
      • Primary Display: PCIE
      • iGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled
      • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 32M
      • RC6(Render Standby): Disabled
  • PCH Configuration
    • IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Enabled
  • PCH Storage Configuration
    • SATA Controller(s): Disabled (if you have SDD NVMe)
  • Onboard Devices Configuration
    • HD Audio: Disabled (there is no drivers for S1200A)
    • Serial Port Configuration
      • Serial Port: Off
  • USB Configuration
    • Legacy USB Support: Enabled
    • XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
  • Network Stack Configuration
    • Network Stack: Disabled
Boot:
  • Boot Configuration
    • Fast Boot: Disabled
  • CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
    • Launch CSM: Disabled
  • Secure Boot
    • OS Type: Windows 10 WHQL
    • Key Management: do Clear Secure Boot Keys

UEFI drivers: ApfsDriverLoader-64, AptioMemoryFix-64, EmuVariableUefi-64, VBoxHFS-64.efi
Kexts: Lilu, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, USBInjectAll, IntelMausiEthernet

The very important part:
Created NEW EMPTY config using Clover Configurator. No Unibeast, no Multibeast – they kill GPU+iGPU.
To get working iGPU hardware acceleration – it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT not to use any injects, patches, fixes, device-ids, flags etc. Choose iMac18,3 in the SMBIOS and WhateverGreen will take care of all the rest necessary things. My config.plist in the attachment

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,080
I am running into an issue, that I can repeat consistently, so I must be doing something wrong. I have tried installing Mojave natively by first installing High Sierra and then upgrading from the app store. After Mojave installs, I get a black screen. It seems like I have booted into the Mac desktop.

My most recent attempts to install Mojave is a vanilla install like @KriptonSecret suggests above. But I also tryed installing High Sierra (successfully and everything was working, Ethernet, WiFi, video acceleration, etc.), and then upgrading to Mojave. But the results are the same black screen when booting into Mojave.

UEFI drivers: ApfsDriverLoader-64, AptiosMemoryFix-64, EmuVariableUefi-64 and VBoxHfs-64.
Kexts: AppleALC, FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet, Lilu, Whatevergreen.

All the kexts manually installed in kexts\other\ latest versions from github

I have an MSI RX 580 8GB, and I am connected to it via HDMI.

I have searched here and elsewhere and cannot seem to find what I am doing wrong.

Attached is my config.plist

And if it helps a video of the system booting, and where it goes to the black screen. I'm not seeing any obvious errors on the screen. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lmn0all509no1u/IMG_0504.mov

Last edited:
Disregard my previous post. After a full nights sleep, I regrouped and started from scratch and have a good working vanilla install of Mojave 10.14.

I did use the latest version of Clover (r4784), I had been using r4775. Also, I used the clover defaults instead of loading KriptonSecret's config.plist. BIOS settings are the same as KriptonSecret's, with the exception of Secure Boot>OS Other.

Working:
  • Wifi
  • Ethernet
  • iMessages/Continuity/handoff
  • Sleep/Wake
  • Shutdown/Restart
  • Lock/unlock
  • Quicklook/preview

Not working:
  • Onboard Sound - ALC S1200A isn't currently working on hackintosh. I use a USB DAC so not a huge issue
  • Bluetooth - partially working? the system sees my bluetooth module and is active, I cannot see any BT device when browsing, but can see the hackintosh from my iMac and my iPhone. Might just be a bad antenna pigtail connection. Update: I was able to connect to my mx master 2 mouse, but the connection is spotty.
  • USB - Partially working. USB2 flash drive connected to a USB 3.1gen1 port on back is working (and hella fast!), but my usb3 drive is not recognized. I need to investigate this and probably map all the USB ports out.

Last edited:
Disregard my previous post. After a full nights sleep, I regrouped and started from scratch and have a good working vanilla install of Mojave 10.14.

I did use the latest version of Clover (r4784), I had been using r4775. Also, I used the clover defaults instead of loading KriptonSecret's config.plist. BIOS settings are the same as KriptonSecret's, with the exception of Secure Boot>OS Other.

Working:
  • Wifi
  • Ethernet
  • iMessages/Continuity/handoff
  • Sleep/Wake
  • Shutdown/Restart
  • Lock/unlock
  • Quicklook/preview

Not working:
  • Onboard Sound - ALC S1200A isn't currently working on hackintosh. I use a USB DAC so not a huge issue
  • Bluetooth - partially working? the system sees my bluetooth module and is active, I cannot see any BT device when browsing, but can see the hackintosh from my iMac and my iPhone. Might just be a bad antenna pigtail connection. Update: I was able to connect to my mx master 2 mouse, but the connection is spotty.
  • USB - Partially working. USB2 flash drive connected to a USB 3.1gen1 port on back is working (and hella fast!), but my usb3 drive is not recognized. I need to investigate this and probably map all the USB ports out.

Hi there.

Yes, the BT problem is probably a case of where the adapter or antenna are located. I now use a desktop antenna for this and it works fine. Previously, either in the rear panel or top port under the desk, the signal would drop out regularly.

For USB - yes, you need to map those ports for correct operation. Use the USBInjectAll.kext and the Port-Limit Removal patch to enable them all. Run IORegExplorer to see which ports are being recognised. From there decide which ones are realistically going to be used (for example only one motherboard port for me to feed the BT and two for the USBs on the top panel. All the others are unused.) When aiming for 15-ports remember that some ports are USB 2 and USB 3 capable, so one physical port can equal two port configurations.

(The USB-C port will probably show up as "RP##" or USR# in the port table. It doesn't figure in the other config but still counts as a port.)

:thumbup:

Hi there.

Yes, the BT problem is probably a case of where the adapter or antenna are located. I now use a desktop antenna for this and it works fine. Previously, either in the rear panel or top port under the desk, the signal would drop out regularly.

:thumbup:

Yeah the BT (apple BCM94360CS2) connectors are a pain in the rear to connect. The PCI-E adapter I bought had the wrong size pigtail connectors (plus they were too short), so I bought a set of pigtails with the what I think is the correct size connectors from Amazon and I still have issues getting them connected.

Update: I swapped from the PCIE adapter to the onboard M.2 conncetor for wifi. I had to remove the plastic shrouding covering the IO ports as the apple card is a tad bit taller than the stock card. This means the metal shielding for the wifi module wouldn't fit either. I used some thin, large washers as shims and screwed the wifi/bluetooth coax cables to the back of the case/io shielding, then I used the included asus shark fin antenna and now wifi is even better and blue tooth is solid. I spent almost an hour getting those stupid pigtails to latch onto the apple wifi card, then a spot of super glue and some strapping tape and they shouldnt go anywhere. The rear fan on my case rubs up against the wifi module but I think it will be ok in the short term. By not using the pcie wifi adapter, I can use my bottom case fans now too. Win/Win.

I have glanced through Rehabman's SDST guide for USBInjectAll and it seems a tad confusing. I will have to sit down and work through it later to get all my usb ports works.

So far I am really stoked about how well the system is working so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back