Contribute
Register

[Success] ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS - i9-10850K - Saphire Radeon RX590 Nitro+

Hi @GeraldB !
Today I had some spare time and I installed two hackintoshes. One in my friend desktop (Asus TUF Gaming H470-PRO WIFI) where I used your EFI of your previous post with this config (I had to replace AMLs with his own ones generated in windows) and one in my own brand new desktop (Asus TUF Z490 TUF gaming Plus WiFi) where I used again your current EFI. On my desktop, I had to replace AMLs with mines in order to be able to boot... Otherwise I was not even seeing the opencore menu.

Weird thing on my friend's desktop is that even after installing twice the system, we were not getting an EFI partition and therefore not able to copy the EFI from the pendrive to the SSD for booting purposes. I have created an EFI partition manually but new install is pending to check if this sorted out the problem...

Concerning my install, it seems I have an issue generating SMBIOS for iMac20,2... I tested this like 20 times and when checking in the apple website it says serial is not ok. Any idea...?
I am using genSMBIOS from GITHUB (dortana guide):

Thanks!

Hi @GeraldB !
Today I had some spare time and I installed two hackintoshes. One in my friend desktop (Asus TUF Gaming H470-PRO WIFI) where I used your EFI of your previous post with this config (I had to replace AMLs with his own ones generated in windows) and one in my own brand new desktop (Asus TUF Z490 TUF gaming Plus WiFi) where I used again your current EFI. On my desktop, I had to replace AMLs with mines in order to be able to boot... Otherwise I was not even seeing the opencore menu.

Weird thing on my friend's desktop is that even after installing twice the system, we were not getting an EFI partition and therefore not able to copy the EFI from the pendrive to the SSD for booting purposes. I have created an EFI partition manually but new install is pending to check if this sorted out the problem...

Concerning my install, it seems I have an issue generating SMBIOS for iMac20,2... I tested this like 20 times and when checking in the apple website it says serial is not ok. Any idea...?
I am using genSMBIOS from GITHUB (dortana guide):

Thanks!
For the creation of SMBIOS I usually use OpenCore Configurator. Select the wanted Mac below and click a few times on Generate for a new serial and UUID. The EFI partition will be created automatically when you format the drive with disk utility to APFS. It's not visible but you can use "EFI mounter 3.1" or also OpenCore Configurator to mount it from macOS.

For the creation of SMBIOS I usually use OpenCore Configurator. Select the wanted Mac below and click a few times on Generate for a new serial and UUID. The EFI partition will be created automatically when you format the drive with disk utility to APFS. It's not visible but you can use "EFI mounter 3.1" or also OpenCore Configurator to mount it from macOS.

Hello, concerning EFI partition, I know it is supposed to be created automatically, however, this did not work twice in my friendd's desktop. It did it well in mine but not him's.

Concerning OpenCore Configurator, I tried that too....
Put "iMac20,2" in the "product name" and then when clicking on generate on the serial number nothing happens... it does generate it well for the UUID but not for serial number...
What am I missing?

Hello, concerning EFI partition, I know it is supposed to be created automatically, however, this did not work twice in my friendd's desktop. It did it well in mine but not him's.

Concerning OpenCore Configurator, I tried that too....
Put "iMac20,2" in the "product name" and then when clicking on generate on the serial number nothing happens... it does generate it well for the UUID but not for serial number...
What am I missing?
In OpenCore Configurator. Select Platforminfo > DataHub - Generic - Platform NVRAM tab on the top. You should be able to select an iMac20,2 with the buttons below right > Model Lookup. Then you will have the necessary fields automatically filled in. The press Generate next to the Serial number field to get a different number.

For the Mac of your friend, make sure you clean the full disk before formatting or wiping it in Disk Utility. Make sure you see Devices not only Volumes. That might help you to see whats going on.

In OpenCore Configurator. Select Platforminfo > DataHub - Generic - Platform NVRAM tab on the top. You should be able to select an iMac20,2 with the buttons below right > Model Lookup. Then you will have the necessary fields automatically filled in. The press Generate next to the Serial number field to get a different number.

For the Mac of your friend, make sure you clean the full disk before formatting or wiping it in Disk Utility. Make sure you see Devices not only Volumes. That might help you to see whats going on.

Sorry to disturb, my intention was not to involve you in a troubleshooting...but I now I have a bigger issue and I don’t really understand where it is coming from.
When booting it randomly fails.... See image attached.
Just have to power off / power on and works again...

Attachments

• 98F32E14-E2EE-4522-AB28-2CA0EBD74EB2.jpeg
    98F32E14-E2EE-4522-AB28-2CA0EBD74EB2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I hope you did also check your BIOS configuration with the list in my OP.
Do you use the latest OC6.8_Z490.zip I have shared in OP?
Did you change anything else in the plist.config than the System serial, SystemUUID, ROM and MLB?
When you have edited the config with OpenCore Configurator (it has to be the latest version!) please check if it has changed the Processor type to anything else than 0. Usually it does set to 4105 without asking. May be it's a good idea to compare the config.plist again? When you use a different SMBIOS than 20,2 than you also need to edit the plist in the USBPMap.kext. The version of the Mac is written in their twice. A few ports are disabled on you PC as I only have enabled the ones I need to keep them below 15. I'm not all the time behing the Mac but I could also have a look on your config if you doesn't succeed.

2021-05-08: Updated to OpenCore 6.9 and updated Kexts and drivers too.

Kexts updated:
AppleALC.kext
Lilu.kext
VirtualSMC.kext and Tools

I did switch back to iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS again because of it also does support drm. If you use the USBMap.kext from my EFI please edit the plist in it to match your SMBIOS. It's written twice in there. The new EFI is updated in OP again.

Another update:
I have bought a Mac mini with M1 CPU. I was really interested to see how it does perform and how Virtual machines do perform on ARM. With Parallels 16.5 I have Windows ARM and Debian running nice on an external NVMe drive with TB 3.
My first experience is that it really works well. I miss nothing at all. The performance is great, only graphics performance is not on par with a Radeon RX590. But I only see that when I open very high resolution pictures. That isn't a problem for me. I also don't play games anymore.

Time will tell if I keep hacking my Pc or will sell it.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback between the two systems. Thanks to your thread I have had a working Hackintosh for several months. Little issues with my setup like waking up of two displays and bluetooth hiccups have me looking towards an m1 based setup as of late. I too have dependencies on VMs (fusion and Multipass VMs) and do not not need to game.

First - a big THANKS to GeraldB for a great outline of the process!

I have been running a hackintosh for years - since Mountain Lion, that being said, I did as little as possible to get the job done and ran with what I had as long as it could still stand on it's own two feet. Minor upgrades over the years and a couple reinstallations as needed... but I really didn't take the time to learn more than the basics.

Your guide was clear enough in conjunction with the OpenCore documentation (which is surprisingly robust) gave me the direction I needed to finally bear-down and learn more of what was going on under the hood. I have a long way to go, but I have covered a lot of ground in the last week as I rolled out a new system. Like so many others, I was stuck at High Sierra with Nvidia support holding up the show. blah blah blah... you get the idea.

So:
Asus Gaming TUF Z490 Plus (wifi)
Intel i9-10850K Comet Lake
16gb Trident Z Neo CL16 3600
WD Black SN750 1tb NVMe m.2
PowerColor Red Devil RX 6800XT
Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO
Corsair AX850 PS
WD Black 6tb HD

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 8.08.04 PM.png

I used your EFI initially, but ran into immediate black screens with the 6800XT in place
OpenCore 6.9
Big Sur 11.4

Boot Arg agdpmod=pikera solved the black screen issue

Three issues I am trying to work through:
  • Wifi - Best I can tell, without spoofing it as a NIC and using a daemon to connect, the included wifi is useless. I don't need it, but decent BT would be nice. Thinking the FV-T919 would round out the system.
  • Sleep issues... it doesn't. It wakes from a forced sleep fine - so far, but it never initiates sleep on it's own, if it is, it's popping right out of it. More investigation required. Sleep always seems to be a sticking point for hackintosh, so unless someone has a quick direction to point me in, I will have to start that research from scratch.
  • SATA Performance is abysmal. The PCIe m.2 is really fast (3500 R/W), maybe I'm just spoiled now, but the benchmark is pathetic, not sure where to start looking - open to suggestions. BIOS?
Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 8.27.11 PM.png

Attached my EFI if anyone with more knowledge than myself cares to take a peek (Serial\UUID redacted)

TIA!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
@GeraldB Well, something went south, not sure what...

do all your USB ports identify as 3.x? Mine do not, they all come up as 2.0. I started working with the USB mapping without success when the system became unbootable (empty progress bar under the apple logo) - the only way I was able to get back in was to remove my 6800XT and boot with onboard video.

I assume it has to do with the 15 port limitation, but I can't seem to fully understand how to get the USB mapping to take hold - even with ports disabled. I can do what I need with a couple ports disabled - but 3.0 devices dont identify under 2.0... and needless to say, the 6800XT is a must back in the system at some point. lol

Any help is appreciated.

FYI, this all started with the addition of the Fenvi card - but even with it removed from the system, same exact results.

Code:
#######################################################
 #                Discover USB Ports                   #
#######################################################
    ----- XHC@14 Controller -----
 1. AppleUSB20XHCIPort | AppleUSB20XHCIPort | 01000000 | 14100000 | -1
    - USB2.0 Hub
        - AppleUSB20Hub
            - USB2.0 Hub
                - AppleUSB20Hub
                    - easystore 2647
            - USB3.0 Card Reader