Contribute
Register

[Success] ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS - i9-10850K - Saphire Radeon RX590 Nitro+

It should be enough to use OC Kernel Quirk DisableRtcChecksum and set to Yes like I have written in OP. I do myself too. Nothing more is really needed. Also your audio should not be needed to add to DeviceProperties. Just AppleALC.kext is enough with using the boot-argument like I have written earlier. May be you do a compare of my config.plist and yours? The zipfiles with my EFI are in OP. The only thing which I don't have in my config is the UHD 630 as I use my Radeon. For the rest it should be fine. With a valid ROM and MLB Apple services will work too.

Nevertheless, I have created an EFI for you. Backup yours first and replace your EFI map with the one I shared with you. Don't forget to Clear NVRAM with first boot. Please let me know what it does for you.

Attachments

• EFI_OCV6.7_ASUSZ_490_IntelGraphics.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
2021-04-06: Updated to OpenCore 6.8 and updated Kexts and drivers too.

Kexts updated:
AppleALC.kext
Whatevergreen.kext
Lilu.kext
VirtualSMC.kext and Tools

I stopped using NVMeFix.kext as it adds no real benefit to my build. Also I did switch back to iMac20,2 SMBIOS because of the performance hit with my Radeon RX590. If you use the USBMap.kext from my EFI please edit the plist in it to match your SMBIOS. It's written twice in there. The new EFI is updated in OP again.

Hey @GeraldB !
Thank you for this amazing job and constant updates. I've been investigating for weeks now for a totally compliant Motherboard that could work with no major strange tweaks as my current Asus B360m-A + Core i9400 does.
I considered first "Gigabyte Vision G" as many success but realized there was a lot of commented issues around ethernet port so I was looking for an alternative but don't want to spend more than 200€. Ideally less...

I've just seen your post and it encourages me. Could you be so kind to answer to a couple of general questions:

1) Don't know the ram you have but any issue setting up XMP profile in the BIOS? (I've seen some issues with Gigabyte Z490 UD for example...)
2) Do you consider this ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS is enough to handle a 10850K? I am considering a 10900 (no k). Well I guess yes, the previous one you had no so sure though... (TUF H470-Pro). Seeing your comments and profile, you seem to be the guy investigating this a lot before going for it. Plus, you maintained an Asus Mobo setup...I guess there is a reason for that.
3) Any particular strange tweak you had to do? you recommend this Mobo?
4) I guess no issues with ethernet ports or strange stuff.... is your wake-on-lan working?

Thanks!

Hey @GeraldB !
Thank you for this amazing job and constant updates. I've been investigating for weeks now for a totally compliant Motherboard that could work with no major strange tweaks as my current Asus B360m-A + Core i9400 does.
I considered first "Gigabyte Vision G" as many success but realized there was a lot of commented issues around ethernet port so I was looking for an alternative but don't want to spend more than 200€. Ideally less...

I've just seen your post and it encourages me. Could you be so kind to answer to a couple of general questions:

1) Don't know the ram you have but any issue setting up XMP profile in the BIOS? (I've seen some issues with Gigabyte Z490 UD for example...)
2) Do you consider this ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS is enough to handle a 10850K? I am considering a 10900 (no k). Well I guess yes, the previous one you had no so sure though... (TUF H470-Pro). Seeing your comments and profile, you seem to be the guy investigating this a lot before going for it. Plus, you maintained an Asus Mobo setup...I guess there is a reason for that.
3) Any particular strange tweak you had to do? you recommend this Mobo?
4) I guess no issues with ethernet ports or strange stuff.... is your wake-on-lan working?

Thanks!
Hi lubalu,

The board is definitely enough for a setup with a 10850k or 10900. I use ASUS for years as the boards are stable and also do support CFG-Lock. And yes, you could spend 500 Euro on a board, but it only needs to be stable. With Gigabyte you have to flash beta BIOS to get that. Yeah, and beta is far from stable I think.
Wake on LAN will work, but usually, it also can create sleep problems. I'm used to leave the PC always on and only wake it to work with it. I love the steady sleep of my build. XMP is working really well with XMP 1 or XMP 2. As I like benchmarks results as well, I keep it on XMP 2. But you should have a look on the recommended memory list on the ASUS site for that board. My experience is that Corsair memory somehow always is supported by ASUS and also behaves very stable. There are no troubles with Ethernet as it's an Intel I219-V, which is long time supported with Intel Mausi kext and macOS. I hope I could help you with making a decision.

Hi lubalu,

The board is definitely enough for a setup with a 10850k or 10900. I use ASUS for years as the boards are stable and also do support CFG-Lock. And yes, you could spend 500 Euro on a board, but it only needs to be stable. With Gigabyte you have to flash beta BIOS to get that. Yeah, and beta is far from stable I think.
Wake on LAN will work, but usually, it also can create sleep problems. I'm used to leave the PC always on and only wake it to work with it. I love the steady sleep of my build. XMP is working really well with XMP 1 or XMP 2. As I like benchmarks results as well, I keep it on XMP 2. But you should have a look on the recommended memory list on the ASUS site for that board. My experience is that Corsair memory somehow always is supported by ASUS and also behaves very stable. There are no troubles with Ethernet as it's an Intel I219-V, which is long time supported with Intel Mausi kext and macOS. I hope I could help you with making a decision.

Thanks for the feedback mate.
I just received the i9 10900 + Asus TUF Z490 Plus.
I'll be mounting/upgrading my PC this weekend.

My biggest concern is on how "hot" this CPU is and make sure it work correctly and keeps cool enough.

I've bough a Be Quiet! Dark Rock pro 4 to cool the system which is supposed to be the best Air Cooling system with the Noctua NH-D15.

Can you share some temperatures of your machine (Iddle/Medium/loaded) to compare once I set this up?

Success and much pleasure with putting the pieces together :cool:. The Dark Rock will be enough to keep that best cool and quiet. My memory didn't allow that cooler for me. Usually my CPU is not more than around 32 degrees on idle, and around 50 degrees on normal load. I have not seen temperatures above 70 degrees. It's a lot cooler than my previous i7 8700k build.

Success and much pleasure with putting the pieces together :cool:. The Dark Rock will be enough to keep that best cool and quiet. My memory didn't allow that cooler for me. Usually my CPU is not more than around 32 degrees on idle, and around 50 degrees on normal load. I have not seen temperatures above 70 degrees. It's a lot cooler than my previous i7 8700k build.

Thanks for the ecouragements.

I have a lot of concerns on the temperature of this CPU as there was a lot of "discussion" when it came out. But I think with a good cooler is not worse than others with same amount of power....
Checking my current I5-9400 I see around 27-30C Iddle and like 60C when working with some VMs (like 6 or 7). Cinebench multicore ~85C

Unfortunatelly my Mobo is KO. No screen signal. I tested everyhing: Different PSU, different ram modules, external GPU, etc... this unit must be faulty...
So I asked for an RMA but took the chance to go for the "Wi-Fi" mode as it was only 20€ more... I know it won't work on hackintosh but can be interesting as I am planning to move out and pretty sure it will take a while until I get cabling up to the office.
I hope disabling the Wi-Fi card in the BIOS is enough in order to not create conflicts with Hackintosh.... Please say yes... I didn't have time to ask you before but I've read with your previous Mobo(H470Pro-Wi-Fi) you added a Fenvi PCIe afterwards so I guess somehow you disabled the internal one.

Too bad that the new Mobo is a DOA. I hope you will have the new one soon.
The same temperatures as you write I have experienced with my i7 8700k too with running Geekbench or VMware machines. It was then slightly overclocked to 4,9 Ghz. With the new CPU there is no need for overclocking anymore.
It's is indeed possible to disable the WiFi in the BIOS. It's even possible to use it, but the Bluetooth is far from stable. That's why I have bought the Fenvi card at that time. If you don't load the kexts for Intel Bluetooth it will not be seen by macOS. So it won't give problems.

Too bad that the new Mobo is a DOA. I hope you will have the new one soon.
The same temperatures as you write I have experienced with my i7 8700k too with running Geekbench or VMware machines. It was then slightly overclocked to 4,9 Ghz. With the new CPU there is no need for overclocking anymore.
It's is indeed possible to disable the WiFi in the BIOS. It's even possible to use it, but the Bluetooth is far from stable. That's why I have bought the Fenvi card at that time. If you don't load the kexts for Intel Bluetooth it will not be seen by macOS. So it won't give problems.

Hi Mate.
PC Up & Running. This Mobo is ok now. Actually quite good to have the Wi-Fi as I can use it for some VMs in my labs.
So my Iddle is around 32ºC, haven't tested yet working but it seems around 50ºC and my Cinebench went up to 90ºC and even 95ºC when doing the third or fourth rendering. What do you think?
Still on windows, but now it's time to Hackintosh :)

You know what? I am just thinking about directly loading with your EFI as I have the same hardware. My graphics is AMD 5500XT Nitro+ which should have the same kexts and boot args as your RX590 more or less?

It would be more straight forward :p

Nice to hear that you have got a new mobo and that the PC finally works. I think it's indeed a good idea to use the EFI. But you need to create a SMBIOS with OC Configurator or with help of the Dortania Guide. The only issue I could think about is may be the USBmap.kext as I have disabled a few ports. Also think about if you really need the UHD630, I would definitely choose iMacPro1,1 for a start.

Back