Contribute
Register

[Success] ASUS ROG Strix Z490-G + i7-10700K + RX 580 + OC [now runs 12.3.1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jeipiika, Some of your links in Post 1 are incorrect/broken. Please fix.

I just wanted to follow up with another success report. I have Big Sur 11.1 running on my system which uses the same motherboard as the OP's. I followed Dortania's guide and used Opencore 0.6.4 and most things went smoothly. I only had one hitch during the initial install which was getting the built-in ethernet to work. Dortania's suggested setting a different PciRoot path but that was only half the solution. The other half was adding the FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_I225_V kexts, which was easy to figure out when I compared my EFI folder contents with the ones posted on this thread. The only other significant difference I noticed between our configs was I had to set DisableRtcChecksum to false in order to have the system avoid a "posted safe mode" from the BIOS after every reboot.

I have not tested everything (I don't use WiFi on this, don't stream DRM video, etc), but all the applications which are important to me work flawlessly so far.

My thanks to Jeipiika for sharing his info/references.

I just keep hitting a roadblock with installing OS Catalina.
I have almost the same build as this, except I have the Asus Rog Strix Z490-G Gaming (WiFi) board, Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT and 64Gb of Kingston Hyper-X RAM.
Since this is a new build I don't have access to a Mac OS computer so I'm creating the OpenCore USB installer via Windows 10. I followed Brandon Yen's "macOS Big Sur Hackintosh Guide - No macOS Required! (Desktop Only)" YouTube video.
The first problem I encountered when booting off of the USB Installer is it wants me to have an internet connection to install Mac OS Catalina. I have IntelMausi.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext but it doesn't want to recognize my ethernet connection. So I find a post online where someone said they had to use a USB Ethernet dongle and that worked for them. So I did that, and now I don't get the "No Internet" error but now I encounter another issue.
I boot to the USB device and choose option #2 "Mac OS Base System (external)", it boots the the "Mac OS Utilities" screen, I choose "Disk Utility", I format the 500 gb drive to APFS, I exit "Disk Utility". Next I choose "Reinstall MacOS", it takes me to the install Catalina splash screen, I hit next, it then displays the "User Agreement", I click "Okay", I then choose the 500gb drive I just formatted, I click next, and it immediately takes me back to the "Mac OS Utilities" window. It just won't install. Does anybody know what the problem is?

Hi, nice work !
I have the same configuration and i was able to create the stick to install Mac OS Catalina.
But if i want to copy the EFI Folder from Stick to the hard disk, i get a CPU panic error at the boot process.
I think, my processor Corei3-10300 could be the Problem.

Have somebody the same experience, or an idea how i can fix it?

Thanks a lot!

Fixed the DisplayPort out on the RX580 by using MacPro6,1 in the config.

I just built a new machine - but this is the major issue I can't solve.... DP dont work :(

I tried your solution MacPro6,1 - but I guess it's for older machines as I get error on load (not supported)

any ideas on what can help me here?

Is it related to black screen issue known for RT 580 ?

... I simply don't know what to do as I need to work and already spent 4 days trying to resolve it :(

Hi Everyone I have an ASUS ROG Z490-G and I am using the EFI below on BigSur. Everything is working fine but I have only one display. Could not get any display from Thunderbolt or DP. Can you please help? Using onboard GPU

Have a look on the Graphics thread. There is a lot of information how to solve that problem. In Hackintool you need to assign ports.

Hi Jeipiika! I'm very new to this hackintosh thing and was wondering if you could help me out? I'm planning on installing on a similar build as yours (except I have i9 1085K and Radeon RX570). Will I be able to use the same EFI folder that you created? Or will I have to change some stuff? If so, what would I have to change?

Hi @Jeipiika thanks for your work!
Did you get any news regarding the internal drive detection issue? I'm planning a similar build (with same motherboard), but I need to use several internal nvme+sata disks.

Hi @Jeipiika thanks for your work!
Did you get any news regarding the internal drive detection issue? I'm planning a similar build (with same motherboard), but I need to use several internal nvme+sata disks.
Not personally, but another Z490 build confirms the problem is linked to Intel RST/Optane configuration throwing them out of the spec macOS expects/needs:
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580 | tonymacx86.com

Moral: Don't install the RST drivers in Windows. If you do do this, I suspect the workaround/resolution lives somewhere in the BIOS, but in my case I can live with the current configuration. The Sabrent dock works just fine, and has been a proverbial lifesaver this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back