Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

Great info. Much appreciated. What's your thought about OC? I tried it on my i9-9900k based build but it ran somewhat laggy in certain situations. For instance, StarCraft Remastered was noticeably showing delays after button clicks.

I everyone, i have a question.
Does someone use the thunderbolt ? I want to use a UAD soundcard (th3) and i need infos if thunderbolt 3 is okay with this motherboard
I have Apple Thunderbolt Display and tried to connect it to ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR card via Apple TB3-TB2 adapter, but it didn't work.

However Catalina recognizes TB hardware, and I tried it with USB-C flash stick. I even could use a display with DisplayPort via Type-C-DP converter. But I don't have any TB3 devices, so I cannot be sure it would work with your soundcard, but I guess it would.

To anyone who interested in Apple Thunderbolt Display: it works with the old ThunderboltEX II/DUAL card and all internal devices (camera, Ethernet, Firewire, speakers) are recognised well, despite the fact the AIC is not connected to TB_HEADER connector due to pin incompatibility. Just enable Thunderbolt in BIOS and it would work.

Great info. Much appreciated. What's your thought about OC? I tried it on my i9-9900k based build but it ran somewhat laggy in certain situations. For instance, StarCraft Remastered was noticeably showing delays after button clicks.
So for any kind of feedback without just guessing you kind of need to be more specific. Your signature is out of date or it lists another system. What Motherboard are you using, what graphics configuration, iGPU, dGPU? If dGPU what card? Outside of hardware questions what boot loader and OS? OpenCore I assume, but what version? Are your Kexts up to date?
With that info provided you might get some suggestions...

I just keep hitting a roadblock with installing OS Catalina.
I have almost the same build as this, except I have the Asus Rog Strix Z490-G Gaming (WiFi) board, and a i7-10700K CPU, Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT, 64Gb of Kingston Hyper-X RAM.
Since this is a new build I don't have access to a Mac OS computer so I'm creating the OpenCore 0.6.4 USB installer via Windows 10. I followed Brandon Yen's "macOS Big Sur Hackintosh Guide - No macOS Required! (Desktop Only)" YouTube video.
The first problem I encountered when booting off of the USB Installer is it wants me to have an internet connection to install Mac OS Catalina. I have IntelMausi.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext but it doesn't want to recognize my ethernet connection. So I find a post online where someone said they had to use a USB Ethernet dongle and that worked for them. So I did that, and now I don't get the "No Internet" error but now I encounter another issue.
I boot to the USB device and choose option #2 "Mac OS Base System (external)", it boots the the "Mac OS Utilities" screen, I choose "Disk Utility", I format the 500 gb drive to APFS, I exit "Disk Utility". Next I choose "Reinstall MacOS", it takes me to the install Catalina splash screen, I hit next, it then displays the "User Agreement", I click "Okay", I then choose the 500gb drive I just formatted, I click next, and it immediately takes me back to the "Mac OS Utilities" window. It just won't install. Does anybody know what the problem is?
No access to a real Mac I'd guess? If you are trying to do this from Windows I'd try the Dortania Install guide

So for any kind of feedback without just guessing you kind of need to be more specific. Your signature is out of date or it lists another system. What Motherboard are you using, what graphics configuration, iGPU, dGPU? If dGPU what card? Outside of hardware questions what boot loader and OS? OpenCore I assume, but what version? Are your Kexts up to date?
With that info provided you might get some suggestions...
Well here's my build
i9-9900k
GA-Z390 Gaming X
AMD Radeon Vega 56
64GB RAM

I tried it with opencore 0.6.5 along with the lastest Catalina. First I tried it with vanilla installation manual via dortania but ended up using this man's EFI

Well here's my build
i9-9900k
GA-Z390 Gaming X
AMD Radeon Vega 56
64GB RAM

I tried it with opencore 0.6.5 along with the lastest Catalina. First I tried it with vanilla installation manual via dortania but ended up using this man's EFI
I'm on my phone but this a different platform so it would be best to search the forum or Google for your specific motherboard. Too many differences between Z490 Comet Lake and Z390 Coffee Lake to be looking for help here. Since you are using PastryChefs EFI folder did you post is his thread?

Last edited:
@blackberry4311 I know I asked before about the onboard HDMI and Display port if they worked. But I'm finally at a point to where I can test them / need to use them. The OS does not recognize anything and if anything is plugged in when the computer boots up it crashes and reboots.

@blackberry4311 I know I asked before about the onboard HDMI and Display port if they worked. But I'm finally at a point to where I can test them / need to use them. The OS does not recognize anything and if anything is plugged in when the computer boots up it crashes and reboots.
I'm sure @blackberry4311 will chime in with something helpful. Beside changing the GPU selection in the bios and removing the agdpmod=pikera from the NVRAM/Add section of the config.plist (to enable your 5700XT Card) are you aware the Device ID needs to be changed? See attached below for the two recommended IDs and reference that section of the Dortania Install Guide under Comet Lake for more information.

Attachments

• Comet Lake Frame Buffer.png
    Comet Lake Frame Buffer.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 64
Here's a build of 0.6.5 with all the latest kexts. It's been run through the validator as usual.

Let me know how it is for you guys, if ok I'll add to 1st post.

Attachments

• EFI 0.6.5.zip
    57.8 MB · Views: 237
Here's a build of 0.6.5 with all the latest kexts. It's been run through the validator as usual.

Let me know how it is for you guys, if ok I'll add to 1st post.

As always: thank you very much for the effort!

Everything works, just – as always – I have no HDMI Audio output with your efi and I have to change it for it…

Back