Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

How did you guys get multiple monitors working?

That ended up being fixed with updates to WhateverGreen. If you use my EFI, multiple monitors works out of the box with the iGPU with this motherboard.

With that said, with my setup. I leave the HDMI monitor off until I see the desktop on the DP monitor, then I turn it on. I suspect it's because my HDMI monitor is 1440p, so I'm pushing the iGPU pretty hard. Switching inputs can also accomplish the same thing.

Last edited:
That ended up being fixed with updates to WhateverGreen. If you use my EFI, multiple monitors works out of the box with the iGPU with this motherboard.

With that said, with my setup. I leave the HDMI monitor off until I see the desktop on the DP monitor, then I turn it on. I suspect it's because my HDMI monitor is 1440p, so I'm pushing the iGPU pretty hard. Switching inputs can also accomplish the same thing.
What about multiple monitors on the AMD GPU?

What about multiple monitors on the AMD GPU?

That also works. I currently have my RX 560 back in the lower PCI-E slot. Same EFI.

Looks like:

RX 560 - HDMI to 1440p Dell, DP to Asus 1080p RTX 2080 Ti - DP to 1440p Dell, HDMI to Asus 1080p

The Dell is 1440p HDR with up to 166 Hz, so I give it the DP under Windows to take advantage / game.

I did it this way so I'd stop plugging / unplugging cables all the time. Now I just switch monitor inputs to boot to Win 10 or Catalina.

That also works. I currently have my RX 560 back in the lower PCI-E slot. Same EFI.

Looks like:

RX 560 - HDMI to 1440p Dell, DP to Asus 1080p RTX 2080 Ti - DP to 1440p Dell, HDMI to Asus 1080p

The Dell is 1440p HDR with up to 166 Hz, so I give it the DP under Windows to take advantage / game.

I did it this way so I'd stop plugging / unplugging cables all the time. Now I just switch monitor inputs to boot to Win 10 or Catalina.
I got it working. It just required rebooting the computer.

The opencore picker doesn't auto select the Mac OS partition anymore after the default time has passed. Anyone know how to fix this?

The opencore picker doesn't auto select the Mac OS partition anymore after the default time has passed. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hold Control + hit Enter with macOS partition selected, it should "store" it. Also you can use the official Startup Disk application. (as long as you have your nvram setup correctly)

I wanted to post my config if it helps anyone else. (full EFI folder attached)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
CPU: Intel 10900K
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 560 + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti (disabled in config.plist)
Wi-Fi/BT: Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac 1750Mbps Desktop PCi-E WiFi Adapter. (Handoff / Continuity working)
Ethernet: I225-V
Storage: 2x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe
Case: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 500D RGB SE Mid-Tower Case
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

hey man. Thanks for sharing your build!

I have the same exact motherboard that you have.
Installed everything last night. Everything super smooth.

My only thing for now is, the wifi seems really slow. I made to work ethernet so thats cool.

Is Broadcom the internal chipset from the motherboard? And does it work with Wifi 6? Or what should i do to fix this speed wifi situation...

My wifi works flawless on my other Macs and in windows PC :)

Thanks man!

Is Broadcom the internal chipset from the motherboard? And does it work with Wifi 6? Or what should i do to fix this speed wifi situation...

No, I have the built-in WiFi/Bluetooth disabled in the BIOS. The Broadcom is a separate PCI-E card that I bought awhile back because it's natively supported in macOS, and I wanted to get all the "extra" things working like Continuity / Handoff. I have a note in the first post about one of the power management settings that fixes slowness, but that's only after waking from sleep.

Back