Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

Hi @blackberry4311, although this thread is about a Catalina-build I would like to ask you something about installing Big Sur. As several in this thread also seem to prepare for this. I have no problem or anything, but something puzzles me.

I'm using my Catalina hackintosh for some months and want to first make a switch to Big Sur and then get into my finetuning of usb, wifi and bluetooth which - with all the info here - I'm confident will succeed.

After upgrading to opencore 0.6.3 based on @scope666 latest EFI I succesfully upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. Before this however, I tried to do a clean install of Big Sur with exactly the same OC 0.6.3 EFI. Each time the install broke off at 12min remaining. I wonder whether you have any idea what difference causes a clean install to fail and an upgrade to succeed?

I still have several CCC bootable copies and in time will repeat the process to find out how to get a clean install working. I will also look better at the differences with your EFI (which I need to do anyway for my wifi and bluetooth).

Anyone's ideas about this are welcome BTW.

you better enable the verbose mode with keepsys=100 and give me the log, at least we can see what happened there

just remember: plz don't enable any itlwm related and intelBluetoothFw when clean install

Last edited:
you better enable the verbose mode with keepsys=100 and give me the log, at least we can see what happened there

just remember: plz don't enable any itlwm related and intelBluetoothFw when clean install
Thanks already, I will redo with verbose and without any wifi or BT kexts and post my .log.

Hi @blackberry4311, although this thread is about a Catalina-build I would like to ask you something about installing Big Sur. As several in this thread also seem to prepare for this. I have no problem or anything, but something puzzles me.

I'm using my Catalina hackintosh for some months and want to first make a switch to Big Sur and then get into my finetuning of usb, wifi and bluetooth which - with all the info here - I'm confident will succeed.

After upgrading to opencore 0.6.3 based on @scope666 latest EFI I succesfully upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. Before this however, I tried to do a clean install of Big Sur with exactly the same OC 0.6.3 EFI. Each time the install broke off at 12min remaining. I wonder whether you have any idea what difference causes a clean install to fail and an upgrade to succeed?

I still have several CCC bootable copies and in time will repeat the process to find out how to get a clean install working. I will also look better at the differences with your EFI (which I need to do anyway for my wifi and bluetooth).

Anyone's ideas about this are welcome BTW.

I would definitely look at the known issues for Big Sur here. In particular the broken SATA support, and any other quirks that have to be enabled in OC: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/big-sur/#known-issues

@blackberry4311 have you had any success mounting an external hard drive? I'm trying to mount one that was used to transfer some files from another Mac but it's not being detected in Disk Utility.

No, external hard drives via USB. Like flash drives work, but all external hard drives connected via USB do not. I've searched online and this is a common problem.

I've had this problem, but only when I'm trying to boot from one, like a backup created by CCC.

Back