Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

Yes, follow every step in 6.3 when migrate, when windown boot error, I try to check again and find nothing weird.
Also checked with Sanity Check, at the third time, when boot win still fail, I redo every step to gen config.plist again, follow dortania guild.

Currently it's still fail with acpi_bios_error
I did a search for that error and there are other reports of that happening after using OC. The only solution (at least the couple posts I read) was to reinstall windows.

I did a search for that error and there are other reports of that happening after using OC. The only solution (at least the couple posts I read) was to reinstall windows.
I'm thinking about this currently, I'm using win only for gaming so it's not a big deal.

I'm just curious because window boot work like a charm when I'm using 0.6.1, after upgrade to 0.6.3 boot win got error, switch back to 0.6.1 (backup) still got this error

Yes, follow every step in 6.3 when migrate, when window boot error, I try to check again and find nothing weird.
Also checked with Sanity Check, at the third time, when boot win still fails, I redo every step to gen config.plist again, follow dortania guild.

Currently, it still fails with acpi_bios_error

Another thing not related to this issue: intel wifi 6 work when using iltwm kext, bluetooth work like a charm.
Tough to say why but consider what we are doing, I've had plenty of boot related problems where one or the other OS disappears. Here is one of the posts. Happened to one of the moderators too.

Tough to say why but consider what we are doing, I've had plenty of boot related problems where one or the other OS disappears. Here is one of the posts. Happened to one of the moderators too.

Over the many years I've been messing with Hackintosh, I've had that happen a lot. The way I do it now to prevent issues is I keep macOS on it's own drive, and I actually use the UEFI's boot menu option to pick which loader I want. This way opencore doesn't mess with my ACPI data when I boot into Windows, I'm bypassing OC completely. OC only comes into play when I want to boot macOS.

Is Unibeast still applicable? I have yet to do a Z490 install but I have been reading the Dortania guide (my understanding is that 10th gen Intel hacks have to be done via OpenCore) and I don't remember seeing Unibeast as a tool to use there.
OK, I am a total noob here, when it comes to OS X on a PC.

I didn't have a desktop PC (other than in storage), since the 90s. Then a few Dell laptops until I changed to Mac and iOS in 2008. I stopped when it was Windows XP and 7. BIOS, drivers, Windows updates, PCI boards ... all these things are decades behind me.

Trying to catch up.

Yes, I used UniBeast / MultiBeast (didn't get to the latter one yet, obviously). It seems I need to go read all the OpenCore documentation and start over, doing it that way instead. I hope I can get this to work in a stable way.

I will NOT use this computer for my primary tasks like mail, documents and other such daily tasks, but rather for various research (where I need Windows, LINUX as well as OS X, on and off). Each OS will be on it's own drive, and I am planning to have the LINUX on the HDD drive. When away from home, the computer will most likely idle, booted in Windows, which I can then access remotely (while I have Mac OS X with me, in my MacBook Pro)

Since I didn't get a graphics card yet, just using the on board HDMI - which card is recommended for this setup (see below) ?

Here is a list of what I have installed:

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G gaming (Wi-Fi)
  • CPU …………. : i9-10900KA 3.7G LGA1200 (KA = Marvel Avengers limited edition but it’s basically a 10900K with added make-up)
  • Cooling…….…: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
  • Memory……….: Corsair 32G (2 x 16 GB) DDR 3600MHz (can add more later, there are 4 slots)
  • SSD………..…..: 2 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (one for W10, one for OS X)
  • HDD…………….: Toshiba Enterprise 6TB SATA3 128MB (for LINUX, and shared extra storage for OS X)
  • OS……………….: OS X Catalina 10.15.7 and Windows 10 PRO 64bit ENG OEM
  • Power…………..: Corsair RM650-2 80 PLUS GOLD FULLY MODULAR ATX
  • Casing…………: Fractal Design DEFINE 7 white
  • Monitor…………: Samsung 32” C32T550FDCXXK
The most demanding tasks I will be doing are some ray tracing and rendering. Not the most serious stuff, I know. I am not interested in gaming, but since I am otherwise all Mac, I got this computer to be able to run LINUX and Windows natively. To give out that much for a PC, though, I looked into being able to use it for Mac tasks as well.

What graphics card am I looking for then? I want the least trouble, and not spend too much. I am not looking at 144Hz refresh rate, or the highest possible graphic operations per second. I will likely be adding more screens, but at the moment I only have one.

If I can get the system working, and stable, that's my main goal.

Thank you all, for your efforts, I am using your shared experience and will be happy to share mine, if others can benefit. But remember I am a noob!

Since I didn't get a graphics card yet, just using the on board HDMI - which card is recommended for this setup (see below) ?

I would either use the on-cpu 630 if that's an option, or the one in my 1st post of this thread would be my recommendation. It's pretty cheap, doesn't use a PCI-E cable and is pretty compact.

@scope666 I see that you have SSDT-PM.aml in your ACPI, could you please explain a little bit about when you need this file?
Another question, how you can measure the speed of USB port? for me, it's didnt show dev speed the same as your picture in post #5, all Unknown

It's been awhile, but if memory serves that one is to fix power management, so the cpu throttles up and down and reaches all of it's proper frequencies. I'm guessing its contents are very similar to this: https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Universal/plug.html

The speed of each USB port won't show until a device is plugged in. I had plugged in almost every USB device I had to be able to generate that screenshot. (I wanted to show the speeds and that the ports were working)

I would either use the on-cpu 630 if that's an option, or the one in my 1st post of this thread would be my recommendation. It's pretty cheap, doesn't use a PCI-E cable and is pretty compact.

GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 560 + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti (disabled in config.plist)

You mean one of these? I checked my local dealers (online), and it seems these are so old they don't carry them. Newegg says discontinued on the ASRock.

I confirmed with the local agent, as well as the main dealer = ASRock RX560 sold out and discontinued a while ago.

I was going for a ninth gen setup, 9900K and all, Z390 - but trawling through the shops in the "Golden Computer Arcade" in Hong Kong, I gave up and on the spot, looked up the options for 10th gen tech. And here I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been awhile, but if memory serves that one is to fix power management, so the cpu throttles up and down and reaches all of it's proper frequencies. I'm guessing its contents are very similar to this: https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Universal/plug.html
I'm just curious about your config, and clear for now. For OC 6.x, it didn't need this file, I didn't config this file, and the Apple PM go really fine. Could you please try it so that we can confirm it and make the OC for Asus Z490 leaner for another person need.

Second, I've tried your config, and it works really well but I think you can remove your USBPorts.kext, and ACPI file related to this kext to work, keep only
  1. SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
  2. SSDT-AWAC.aml
  3. SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml
  4. SSDT-RHUB.aml
These files from dortania guild or we can gen one.
USBInjectAll works really well for these usb port in Asus mainboard (all port work), bluetooth work.

The speed of each USB port won't show until a device is plugged in. I had plugged in almost every USB device I had to be able to generate that screenshot. (I wanted to show the speeds and that the ports were working)
It fair enough :D, it makes me think about the way to measure the speed of these usb port.

Another question: you have ResetSystem.efi in tool, what does it use for ? In your current setting, of course

Back