Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

Hello guys!

First of all thanks for all the info you gave @scope666, you rocks!

I'm a newbie at this... I can't boot opencore on my pc, it says something like "no schema for disabledLinkedJettison at 2 index, content <Quirks>:" and then it shows a hard disk logo where it says windows below and then start windows automatically.

Any thoughts?
You can boot but you are only seeing the Windows partition, sounds like you need to recreate the Catalina installation media on your USB drive, assuming that is what phase you are at.

You can boot but you are only seeing the Windows partition, sounds like you need to recreate the Catalina installation media on your USB drive, assuming that is what phase you are at.

Thanks for reply!

I already created with gibMacOS. I tried to create it on my mac and recently with an windows pc, with no luck...

I suppose that there is something more to do... I create the catalina installation and just paste efi folder that scope did on the usb? Is that right?

Im going to try with a different usb drive...

Thanks for reply!

I already created with gibMacOS. I tried to create it on my mac and recently with an windows pc, with no luck...

I suppose that there is something more to... I create the catalina installation and just paste efi folder that scope did on the usb? Is that right?

Im going to try with a different usb drive...
I hide the EFI partition on the flash drive but I think you already did. Maybe try the “create media” method, search for it if you are unsure what I mean. OS X create media

I hide the EFI partition on the flash drive but I think you already did. Maybe try the “create media” method, search for it if you are unsure what I mean. OS X create media

Yep, I know is hid on Mac, but in windows isnt. I follow several guides, including dortania, still cannot boot catalina media installer :think:

Yep, I know is hid on Mac, but in windows isnt. I follow several guides, including dortania, still cannot boot catalina media installer :think:
This won't help if you don't have access to a real Mac on prehacked PC. I've never used the windows method so I can't be of much help there.

I wanted to post my config if it helps anyone else. (full EFI folder attached)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
CPU: Intel 10900K
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 560 + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti (disabled in config.plist)
Wi-Fi/BT: Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac 1750Mbps Desktop PCi-E WiFi Adapter. (Handoff / Continuity working)
Ethernet: I225-V
Storage: 2x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe
Case: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 500D RGB SE Mid-Tower Case
OpenCore: 0.5.9

About the only thing not working is Apple TV+ DRM content (fixed), but Netflix / Prime / Apple trailers work fine. The DisplayPort output on the motherboard works with acceleration via the IGPU, but as of yet the HDMI does not. This is why I added the Radeon RX 560 as I have two monitors. If you have a single monitor you can probably just use the iGPU without the Radeon GPU. The same EFI will work with either iGPU DisplayPort or an RX 560 (or similar)

View attachment 489670

View attachment 473938

View attachment 477195
View attachment 477660

Video of case:

What's left to fix: iGPU HDMI, this is a bigger problem than just Z490 from what I've been reading, Wake from sleep via keyboard or Wake on Lan (I have to press the power button, at least it STAYS asleep which is nice). A better driver for the Ethernet I-225V (for me it seems to drop packets although internet tests don't confirm, others say it's fine)
Slow Wi-Fi after sleep: Resolved by unchecking "Wake for network access" in System Preferences > Energy Saver

Other than that everything works and it's ROCK solid!

Note: Use OpenCore Configurator to generate UUID, MLB and Serial number for iMac 19,1. I enter my real MAC address in the ROM field, these are all important to get iMessage / FaceTime working.

EDIT 06.14.2020 - Cleaned up ACPI, added front USB C port (only working at 2.0 speeds, not sure why yet)

EDIT 06.20.2020 - Clean up kexts, fix on-board audio (thanks hemon!), fix intel hdmi audio, included better USBInjectAll kext, not enabled by default, but can be should you want to do your own USB map.

EDIT 07.01.2020 - Removed ALCID from boot-args now that audio is fixed, remove CPU mask spoof as no longer needed as of 10.5.5

EDIT 07.18.2020 - Fixed HDMI black screen, both monitors now working with iGPU. For now I have removed the Radeon card so my RTX 2080 Ti can run at PCIE x16 in Windows.

View attachment 480884

EDIT 08.03.2020 - Added EFI-0.6.0.zip containing OpenCore 0.6.0 that was released today, along with all of the updated kexts that the same team also put out today. I added all of the new 0.6.0 keys and ran it through the online validator. Going to keep the original EFI.zip (version 0.5.9) attached here for now incase 0.6.0 introduces any problems that I'm not aware of.

EDIT 09.09.2020 - Added EFI 0.6.1.zip containing OpenCore 0.6.1 along with all the updated kexts that came with it. This version requires you to be on 10.5.6 Supplemental Update, 19G2021 or later. It has the iMac 20,2 system definition for the 10900K CPU. Removed the slow front USB C and enabled the rear at full 10 Gbps speed. I had to generate all new serial, MLB, UUID, etc. for iServices to work.

Special thanks to @xiaoviejiang who gave me a lot of pointers early on and helped get me up and running.
Hi @scope666, I've been messing around with Big Sur on a separate drive to get as ready as possible for the final release. This configuration was working perfectly until yesterday I updated to Beta 10. I started getting Kernel Panics at boot which was a head scratcher, turned out to be any easy fix (which I can't take credit for).
All I had to do was change the config.plist entry under Misc/ Security/SecureBootModel from Default to Disabled. That was it. It was also recommend to clear the NVRAM after updating the config.plist.

The other thing I found was after changing the system definition to iMac20,2, which is the newest recommendation fr0m Dortania for Comet Lake Platforms, I lost bluetooth and USB was funky. It turns out the reason was the the USBInjectAll_v0.7.5_z490.kext didn't have the updated iMac20,1 or iMac20,2 system definitions in the Info.plist.

It wasn't loading the kext until I added those entries. For those interested I've attached the updated version of the kext, I left the name as is which could be confusing but feel free to change it to whatever.

Cheers

Attachments

• SecureBootModel.png
    SecureBootModel.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Platform Info.png
    Platform Info.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 38
  • USBInjectAll_v0.7.5_z490-p.kext.zip
    20.3 KB · Views: 29
Hi @scope666, I've been messing around with Big Sur on a separate drive to get as ready as possible for the final release. This configuration was working perfectly until yesterday I updated to Beta 10. I started getting Kernel Panics at boot which was a head scratcher, turned out to be any easy fix (which I can't take credit for).
All I had to do was change the config.plist entry under Misc/ Security/SecureBootModel from Default to Disabled. That was it. It was also recommend to clear the NVRAM after updating the config.plist.

The other thing I found was after changing the system definition to iMac20,2, which is the newest recommendation fr0m Dortania for Comet Lake Platforms, I lost bluetooth and USB was funky. It turns out the reason was the the USBInjectAll_v0.7.5_z490.kext didn't have the updated iMac20,1 or iMac20,2 system definitions in the Info.plist.

It wasn't loading the kext until I added those entries. For those interested I've attached the updated version of the kext, I left the name as is which could be confusing but feel free to change it to whatever.

Cheers

Hi, in my latest EFI (0.6.1), the key you mentioned is already set to Disabled:

1603035460413.png

Also my EFI is designed that you normally AREN'T loading USBInjectAll_v0.7.5_z490.kext. You're loading a pre-built map, or you're creating your own map. I can see your updated kext being useful for those who want to make their own map. (want different ports enabled than what I have)

Hi, in my latest EFI (0.6.1), the key you mentioned is already set to Disabled:

View attachment 492264

Also my EFI is designed that you normally AREN'T loading USBInjectAll_v0.7.5_z490.kext. You're loading a pre-built map, or you're creating your own map. I can see your updated kext being useful for those who want to make their own map. (want different ports enabled than what I have)
Gotcha, should have read your update from September. I started with your 6.0 version and have been building my own since to get to 6.2. As far as USB configuration goes after I changed system definitions to iMac20.2 nothing worked being neither the USBPorts.kext or the USBInjectAll.kext tweaked version was configured for the newer model iMac. At least thats what made it work for me, I also changed the port configuration while I was at it.

Gotcha. I started with your 6.0 version and have been building my own since to get to 6.2. Glad you already had made that switch, I wasn’t aware you had. As far as USB configuration goes after I changed system definitions to iMac20.2 nothing worked being neither the USBPorts.kext or the USBInjectAll.kext tweaked version was configured for the newer model iMac. I also changed the Port configuration while I was at it.

That would explain it. I had completely rebuilt the USB map in 0.6.1 but since you started with an earlier version you didn't get those changes. :)

PS I haven't built 0.6.2 yet because most of the changes I saw revolved around compatibility with earlier versions of macOS.

Back