Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

thanks for any help, I have attached the opencore log file in the EFI and the log file from the Big Sur Installer
(as well my EFI)

Attachments

• opencore-2021-01-26-122615.txt
    256 KB · Views: 56
  • Installer Log 26-Jan-2021.txt
    116.2 KB · Views: 37
  • EFI-oc-bigsur.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
@blackberry4311 I've had that issue before and the installer won't even load, fails at boot....his EFI folder is incomplete and his config.plist needs work.

Last edited:
thanks for any help, I have attached the opencore log file in the EFI and the log file from the Big Sur Installer
(as well my EFI)

Looks like you tried to roll your own EFI folder, at first glance you are missing some key kexts and your Device Properties are not correctly setup, there could be other issues as well. Have you tried using the OpenCore config.plist Sanity Checker? Do a web search for it, pretty self explanatory. Hard to say which is causing the installer to fail to load though.

Compare your EFI folder contents to @scope666 and add the pertinent kexts you are missing. Then reference here and change the Device Properties Add to enable ethernet and sound, I would also add the correct Device ID for headless iGPU utilization.

Attachments

• Device ID iGPU Headless.png
    Device ID iGPU Headless.png
    705.2 KB · Views: 43
I removed the M2 and tried to install on the internal crucial mx500 sata and it has the same behavior.....
Also put your M2 drive back in, changes in Big Sur require additional changes to be able to load to a SATA based SSD.

thanks @Leesureone
what I have done so far, M2 is back in, I compared the kext files from @scope666 and add the missing kext in to my EFI and have them in the config.plist via proper tree. Still same issue, I can boot until the Utilities screen, I can format my M2 but if I click on install Big Sur and choose my SSD (M2) installer is not starting....

thanks @Leesureone
what I have done so far, M2 is back in, I compared the kext files from @scope666 and add the missing kext in to my EFI and have them in the config.plist via proper tree. Still same issue, I can boot until the Utilities screen, I can format my M2 but if I click on install Big Sur and choose my SSD (M2) installer is not starting....
What about your Properties section of your config.plist? Did you make any changes there? What about your bios settings? Do you have secure boot turned off?

From the first page

Disable:

• Fast Boot
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(Apparently this is already off on our Asus boards)
Enable:

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB

Last edited:
yes I add the device properties as in your screenshot from dortania,
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>BwCbPg==</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
<data>AAAwAQ==</data>
</dict>

BIOS settings as in the tutorial and secure boot is "setup" (see some BIOS screenshots) maybe not right?
OS type: Windows UEFI

Attachments

• IMG_4995.JPG
    IMG_4995.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4994.JPG
    IMG_4994.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4993.JPG
    IMG_4993.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 41
yes I add the device properties as in your screenshot from dortania,
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>BwCbPg==</data>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>framebuffer-stolenmem</key>
<data>AAAwAQ==</data>
</dict>

BIOS settings as in the tutorial and secure boot is "setup" (see some BIOS screenshots) maybe not right?
OS type: Windows UEFI
All that looks correct...how is your M2 ssd formatted? Are you running Disk Utility before trying to install?

Yes via Disk Utility which I can reach fine, APFS and guid partition

Yes via Disk Utility which I can reach fine, APFS and guid partition
Besides the other issues you had maybe I’m wrong and @blackberry4311 was right. Have you updated the firmware on the drive?

Back