Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

No, I have the built-in WiFi/Bluetooth disabled in the BIOS. The Broadcom is a separate PCI-E card that I bought awhile back because it's natively supported in macOS, and I wanted to get all the "extra" things working like Continuity / Handoff. I have a note in the first post about one of the power management settings that fixes slowness, but that's only after waking from sleep.
Ok thanks man. I’ll try an ASUS wifi card I have.

Speaking about BIOS, the last thing is the motherboard shows a “post” error during boot that is due to some insecure boot option and suggest me to press F1. To run the setup.

I removed that F1 press from the bios but do you know how to fix that error? (Still shows but I don’t need to press f1 thankfully now.

Thanks.

Ok thanks man. I’ll try an ASUS wifi card I have.

Speaking about BIOS, the last thing is the motherboard shows a “post” error during boot that is due to some insecure boot option and suggest me to press F1. To run the setup.

I removed that F1 press from the bios but do you know how to fix that error? (Still shows but I don’t need to press f1 thankfully now.

Thanks.

I have the "F1 Fix" in my EFI, make sure you haven't deleted it and that it's set to enabled.

As always: thank you very much for the effort!

It works, I just receive at the boot an error: "failed to calculate..." - it is too fast and I cannot see what exactly.
This error is because of a change for the UEFI > Audio > PlayChime from Boolean to String. Just change this one to:
<key>PlayChime</key>
<string>Disabled</string>
You can also use Auto. I don't have Audio files in my EFI so I have it set to Disabled.

Ok, THAT was painful. I've successfully updated to OpenCore 0.6.1 using the iMac20,2 System Definition. I had to generate a new serial, MLB, UUID, etc. and do that whole dance. I also had to regenerate my USBMap from scratch. Bonus is I got the USB C in the rear working at the full 10 Gbps. Also you HAVE to install the Supplemental Update for 10.5.6 first or you WILL NOT BOOT. I'll update the first post shortly.

View attachment 487543

View attachment 487544

PS per the updated Vanilla OC guide:

"For this Comet Lake example, we'll chose the iMac20,1 SMBIOS - this is done intentionally for compatibility's sake. There are two main SMBIOS used for Comet Lake:

• iMac20,1 - i7-10700K and lower
  • iMac20,2 - i9-10850K and higher" (I have 10900K so I used this)
Can you help me get USB Type C running please.

Hey scope666, thanks so much for posting this! I have a Z490-F (roughly Z490-E minus the Intel WiFi) and 10700K, and this totally works!

However my Kingston DDR4 16GBx2 3200 memory is only recognized as DDR4 2400 MHz in the system information. How did you get 3200 MHz to work?

Also I’m curious to learn how the special USBInjectAll.kext for Z490 works, I looked around online for the patch in source code but couldn’t find it. Where did the build come from and do you by any chance have the source code around?
Hello @phil8471 could yo share your EFI files? I have been trying without any success to get Z490-F to work - I don't even reach the installer screen.

Hello @phil8471 could yo share your EFI files? I have been trying without any success to get Z490-F to work - I don't even reach the installer screen.
@phil8471 is using the EFI folder @scope666 created on page one. I'm thinking Scope666 isn't getting notifications or is away for the time being. If that wasn't clear then hope this helps, if it was clear and it isn't working check your bios settings. Secure boot disabled and USB XCHI Hand Off enabled.
Disable:

• Fast Boot
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(Apparently this is already off on our Asus boards)
Enable:

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB

You may also be having issues because his config.plist is not configured for an AMD XT graphics card (5500, 5600 or 5700), if so you can change the bios to enable the iGPU and try installing that way. Its easy enough to switch over to dGPU later if that is the issue.

It requires changing the iGPU device ID and adding the boot argument "adgpmod=pikera"

See Device Properties here for more info on changing the iGPU ID: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/comet-lake.html#deviceproperties

Can you help me get USB Type C running please.
Can you please be more specific, there are two USBc connectors. One on the back IO shield and one intended for the case. I am pretty sure he has his USB configuration setup for the IO Shield connector on the back.

Back