Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

Motherboard
Asus Z490-E Gaming
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Also double check you have the onboard WiFi/BT enabled in the UEFI (BIOS)
yes it is enabled. BT works fine. I'm going to do a temporary install of Windows to see if works or not. If not them it is definitely the board. I also have 3600MHz ram that is on the QVL but it will not POST when I enable XMP. I was able to get it to POST at 3400MHz. If it turns out the wifi also doesn't work in Windows I'll begin the RMA process.

Definitely having issues in Windows too.

I'm getting a replacement board. Wish me luck that the replacement works.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z490-E
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RTX 3080 Ti (Win) / RX 560 (Mac)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I got the replacement board in today and everything works now. Thanks blackberry4311 and scope666 for helping me diagnose the problem.

Awesome! So glad they got you sorted out!.

Motherboard
asus z490-e
CPU
i9-10900k
Graphics
sapphire rx5700xt
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @blackberry4311, although this thread is about a Catalina-build I would like to ask you something about installing Big Sur. As several in this thread also seem to prepare for this. I have no problem or anything, but something puzzles me.

I'm using my Catalina hackintosh for some months and want to first make a switch to Big Sur and then get into my finetuning of usb, wifi and bluetooth which - with all the info here - I'm confident will succeed.

After upgrading to opencore 0.6.3 based on @scope666 latest EFI I succesfully upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. Before this however, I tried to do a clean install of Big Sur with exactly the same OC 0.6.3 EFI. Each time the install broke off at 12min remaining. I wonder whether you have any idea what difference causes a clean install to fail and an upgrade to succeed?

I still have several CCC bootable copies and in time will repeat the process to find out how to get a clean install working. I will also look better at the differences with your EFI (which I need to do anyway for my wifi and bluetooth).

Anyone's ideas about this are welcome BTW.

Motherboard
Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
CPU
i7-4770k
Graphics
intel graphic HD
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
you better enable the verbose mode with keepsys=100 and give me the log, at least we can see what happened there

just remember: plz don't enable any itlwm related and intelBluetoothFw when clean install

Last edited:
Motherboard
asus z490-e
CPU
i9-10900k
Graphics
sapphire rx5700xt
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
you better enable the verbose mode with keepsys=100 and give me the log, at least we can see what happened there

just remember: plz don't enable any itlwm related and intelBluetoothFw when clean install
Thanks already, I will redo with verbose and without any wifi or BT kexts and post my .log.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z490-E
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RTX 3080 Ti (Win) / RX 560 (Mac)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @blackberry4311, although this thread is about a Catalina-build I would like to ask you something about installing Big Sur. As several in this thread also seem to prepare for this. I have no problem or anything, but something puzzles me.

I'm using my Catalina hackintosh for some months and want to first make a switch to Big Sur and then get into my finetuning of usb, wifi and bluetooth which - with all the info here - I'm confident will succeed.

After upgrading to opencore 0.6.3 based on @scope666 latest EFI I succesfully upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. Before this however, I tried to do a clean install of Big Sur with exactly the same OC 0.6.3 EFI. Each time the install broke off at 12min remaining. I wonder whether you have any idea what difference causes a clean install to fail and an upgrade to succeed?

I still have several CCC bootable copies and in time will repeat the process to find out how to get a clean install working. I will also look better at the differences with your EFI (which I need to do anyway for my wifi and bluetooth).

Anyone's ideas about this are welcome BTW.

I would definitely look at the known issues for Big Sur here. In particular the broken SATA support, and any other quirks that have to be enabled in OC: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/big-sur/#known-issues

Motherboard
asus z490-e
CPU
i9-10900k
Graphics
sapphire rx5700xt
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Asus Z490-E Gaming
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
@blackberry4311 have you had any success mounting an external hard drive? I'm trying to mount one that was used to transfer some files from another Mac but it's not being detected in Disk Utility.