Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 560 + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti (disabled in config.plist)

You mean one of these? I checked my local dealers (online), and it seems these are so old they don't carry them. Newegg says discontinued on the ASRock.

I confirmed with the local agent, as well as the main dealer = ASRock RX560 sold out and discontinued a while ago.

I was going for a ninth gen setup, 9900K and all, Z390 - but trawling through the shops in the "Golden Computer Arcade" in Hong Kong, I gave up and on the spot, looked up the options for 10th gen tech. And here I am.
You can use the rx5000 series, like me, Catalina supports it really well. I'm happy to share it with you or at least help you make your system work.

Just a note to remember, don't use MSI, this thing will make macOS install stuck (even we can use it normally after install and can bypass these stucks when install but this will take more effort).

You can find more info here about what card in rx5000 series up and working in this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/list-of-amd-radeon-navi-cards-in-catalina-that-work.285432/

Last edited:
You can use the rx5000 series, like me, Catalina supports it really well. I'm happy to share it with you or at least help you make your system work.

Just a note to remember, don't use MSI, this thing will make macOS install stuck (even we can use it normally after install and can bypass these stucks when install but this will take more effort).

You can find more info here about what card in rx5000 series up and working in this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/list-of-amd-radeon-navi-cards-in-catalina-that-work.285432/
Great, thank you, blackberry4311. Would it be better to get a graphics card BEFORE I install, or is it better to get it going, then add the card later?

Great, thank you, blackberry4311. Would it be better to get a graphics card BEFORE I install, or is it better to get it going, then add the card later?
totally the same, u can install macos when having no card, using only hd630, and 1 monitor plugged, or using card with a little bit mod in boot args and dont need to care about have many monitors plugged when install

totally the same, u can install macos when having no card, using only hd630, and 1 monitor plugged, or using card with a little bit mod in boot args and dont need to care about have many monitors plugged when install
I am looking at that card you seem to have, Asus ROG Strix 5700XT OC. It's around 500 USD here locally and since I am not gaming I think it could be a bit overkill for me. Rendering and raytracing is what I mainly need ...

I am looking at that card you seem to have, Asus ROG Strix 5700XT OC. It's around 500 USD here locally and since I am not gaming I think it could be a bit overkill for me. Rendering and raytracing is what I mainly need ...
5500/xt or 5600/xt work well, you have 6 options to choose from in this 5000 series, and to think about it, u can use the only UHD630 without any problem.

Edit: I'm not using this computer for gaming as well. I have macOS for work and window for the game but just 1 2 small games I play with my friend, I use this card because as u know, this is a processing unit same as CPU (even better in some task) so I can use it to process something I need.

Last edited:
My advice is stay with the iGPU and see how it performs for you. If you end up thinking you need an upgrade its easy to add later. As @blackberry4311 says either the 5500XT or 5600XT are more reasonably priced cards and only require a small tweak to the config.plist to run.

I'm just curious about your config, and clear for now. For OC 6.x, it didn't need this file, I didn't config this file, and the Apple PM go really fine. Could you please try it so that we can confirm it and make the OC for Asus Z490 leaner for another person need.

Second, I've tried your config, and it works really well but I think you can remove your USBPorts.kext, and ACPI file related to this kext to work, keep only
  1. SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
  2. SSDT-AWAC.aml
  3. SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml
  4. SSDT-RHUB.aml
These files from dortania guild or we can gen one.
USBInjectAll works really well for these usb port in Asus mainboard (all port work), bluetooth work.

It fair enough :D, it makes me think about the way to measure the speed of these usb port.

Another question: you have ResetSystem.efi in tool, what does it use for ? In your current setting, of course
@blackberry4311 you are correct that we do not need the SSDT-PMC.aml file for Comet Lake, see attached from Dortania, but the the other files you mention are already being used just with a slightly different name. You may already be aware of that.

The USBPorts.kext define which ports work and is designed to keep the total number of ports at or below 15. That's done to match the way Apple designed most versions of OSx. Without properly configuring the USB ports and relying only on USBInjectAll.kext by itself your computer will probably not sleep/ wake correctly and device speeds and performance can be affected. Running more that 15 ports can also supposedly cause Data Loss but I've never had that be a problem.

Attachments

• ACPI.png
    ACPI.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 46
@blackberry4311 you are correct that we do not need the SSDT-PMC.aml file for Comet Lake, see attached from Dortania, but the the other files you mention are already being used just with a slightly different name. You may already be aware of that.

The USBPorts.kext define which ports work and is designed to keep the total number of ports at or below 15. That's done to match the way Apple designed most versions of OSx. Without properly configuring the USB ports and relying only on USBInjectAll.kext by itself your computer will probably not sleep/ wake correctly and device speeds and performance can be affected. Running more that 15 ports can also supposedly cause Data Loss but I've never had that be a problem.

Thanks, I was about to reply but you explained it well.

I'm probably going to start over clean for 0.6.3 following the OC guide, as there are probably things lingering since I started this on 0.5.9 and then upgraded.

Thanks, I was about to reply but you explained it well.

I'm probably going to start over clean for 0.6.3 following the OC guide, as there are probably things lingering since I started this on 0.5.9 and then upgraded.
I've said it before but great job on this thread!

gotcha, thank mate.

Back