Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming + i7-9700k + Asus TUF RX 6800 XT + UHD 630 Headless + Big Sur / Monterey + OpenCore 0.7.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can't really hurt to try, he may have created the more simplified version himself using SSDTTime. It's easiest to download the Dortania version and it works, temps don't randomly spike for me. To be safe make the changes on a bootable USB drive first to test and as always make sure your important data is backed up.

Are you using a water cooler for CPU my brand is Captain 240 EX. In your bios have you changed the default set water pump+Control from auto to any other mode. Here are my settings.

Edited:

Doesn't look like SSDT-Plug from Dortania or from OP or SSDT-SBUS-MCHC make any difference it spikes momentarily after about 1 minute doesn't do it again. I keep checking with HwMonitor. I would give that a try to see if you do actually see a spike. You can hear the fans on the cooler speed up for a moment as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Are you using a water cooler for CPU my brand is Captain 240 EX. In your bios have you changed the default set water pump+Control from auto to any other mode. Here are my settings.

Edited:

Doesn't look like SSDT-Plug from Dortania or from OP or SSDT-SBUS-MCHC make any difference it spikes momentarily after about 1 minute doesn't do it again. I keep checking with HwMonitor. I would give that a try to see if you do actually see a spike. You can hear the fans on the cooler speed up for a moment as well.
I have it in an NZXT H1 original case which uses a single 120 mm AIO on default cooling settings, no need for me to change those settings as it performs as expected. Have you tried using the Activity Monitor in Utilities to try and identify what your CPU is doing when temps spike?

I have it in an NZXT H1 original case which uses a single 120 mm AIO on default cooling settings, no need for me to change those settings as it performs as expected. Have you tried using the Activity Monitor in Utilities to try and identify what your CPU is doing when temps spike?

I see Multiple instances of mdworker_shared when temps go up. I think this is an Apple spotlight thing.

The one using a lot of CPU threads is multiple instances of Google Chrome Helper. I do have several tabs open maybe this is the cause. I’ll shut Google down to see if it spikes after boot.

Looks like it’s Google Chrome with multiple tabs open all tabs removed and quit Chrome no spike at boot up any longer.

A quick change in the subject. I just caught this now about Samsung drives boot times and TRIM support, is this still an issue with OC v0.8.0 and Monterey 12.4? I boot a Samsung NVMe 970 Pro, no issues with boot time and I see in OC this is set to -1 for SetApfsTrimTimeout.

Under Catalina I have enabled ThirdPartyDrives.

I see no boot time issues. I do have two nvram boot flags set from this OP not sure if this is for additional trim support or for igpu? Both start with igfx must flags for intel GPU.

I do t know if Vit has solved the issue or not in latest OC v0.8.0.

I know from the past the NVMe 970 ultra did not so well with macOS but the Pro version working fine for me.

The SSD Samsung 850, 860 and 870 also working just fine.

Last edited:
I see Multiple instances of mdworker_shared when temps go up. I think this is an Apple spotlight thing.

The one using a lot of CPU threads is multiple instances of Google Chrome Helper. I do have several tabs open maybe this is the cause. I’ll shut Google down to see if it spikes after boot.

Looks like it’s Google Chrome with multiple tabs open all tabs removed and quit Chrome no spike at boot up any longer.

A quick change in the subject. I just caught this now about Samsung drives boot times and TRIM support, is this still an issue with OC v0.8.0 and Monterey 12.4? I boot a Samsung NVMe 970 Pro, no issues with boot time and I see in OC this is set to -1 for SetApfsTrimTimeout.

Under Catalina I have enabled ThirdPartyDrives.

I see no boot time issues. I do have two nvram boot flags set from this OP not sure if this is for additional trim support or for igpu? Both start with igfx must flags for intel GPU.

I do t know if Vit has solved the issue or not in latest OC v0.8.0.

I know from the past the NVMe 970 ultra did not so well with macOS but the Pro version working fine for me.

The SSD Samsung 850, 860 and 870 also working just fine.
Glad you sorted out the spike. Chrome tends to be resource hungry. Sometimes when I load it up to access a work portal, I can hear my AIO fans spin up hard.

As far as TRIM issues listed here https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/192 that has not been sorted out for Monterey. In Catalina its not an issue but if you do choose to update you will eventually see boot times degrade and potentially do damage to the drive (although there do not seem to be a lot of drive failures reported). I stopped using mine for Monterey.

Glad you sorted out the spike. Chrome tends to be resource hungry. Sometimes when I load it up to access a work portal, I can hear my AIO fans spin up hard.

As far as TRIM issues listed here https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/192 that has not been sorted out for Monterey. In Catalina its not an issue but if you do choose to update you will eventually see boot times degrade and potentially do damage to the drive (although there do not seem to be a lot of drive failures reported). I stopped using mine for Monterey.
I posted mine about average 38 second boot time for all three variations. Maybe over a longer period of time it will get worst who knows?

I posted mine about average 38 second boot time for all three variations. Maybe over a longer period of time it will get worst who knows?
From the OpenCore Boot menu or from the time you push the power button?

From the OpenCore Boot menu or from the time you push the power button?

From the boot logo. I just read that the tests no longer work in Monterey probably explains why my results are all the same.

My question is if every few weeks I format the Samsung NVME 970 pro and then clone a copy from the SDD back to the 970 drive every few weeks would that help prevent any damage over time or with trim not working it would just damage the drive period.

Last edited:
From the boot logo. I just read that the tests no longer work in Monterey probably explains why my results are all the same.

My question is if every few weeks I format the Samsung NVME 970 pro and then clone a copy from the SDD back to the 970 drive every few weeks would that help prevent any damage over time or with trim not working it would just damage the drive period.

That’s a good question but one I don’t really know the answer too. All I can really offer is that is a lot of work to maintain your system. It seems like most users have changed drives instead of risking problems. Eventually it’s possible you may lose data or the drive will fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back