Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD630 > EVGA GTX 1070 SC2 > AMD Sapphire RX580 Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you mind having a look at your BIOS for me and see what setting your AIO is on in Monitor > Q-Fan Configuration please? I've changed it that many times that I can't remember what the default was! I 'think' it was Disabled, but not sure. Thanks!

Would you mind having a look at your BIOS for me and see what setting your AIO is on in Monitor > Q-Fan Configuration please? I've changed it that many times that I can't remember what the default was! I 'think' it was Disabled, but not sure. Thanks!
You cannot change the AIO pump as it manages itself.

However, I'll look on Monday for you, as you asked about monitoring.

You can though - you can change PWM settings in that section of the BIOS, so you can control the AIO and WPUMP headers, unless I'm missing something?

You can though - you can change PWM settings in that section of the BIOS, so you can control the AIO and WPUMP headers, unless I'm missing something?
Interesting, I can't on mine... Are you sure you have it plugged into the AIO header? Do NOT use the WPUMP header...

You should plug the fans into the CPU_FAN headers though.

I'll have a look at it on Monday to be certain.

Last edited:
Interesting, I can't on mine... Are you sure you have it plugged into the AIO header? Do NOT use the WPUMP header...

You should plug the fans into the CPU_FAN headers though.

I'll have a look at it on Monday to be certain.
Yep. It took me a long time (and a lot of reading) to discover the page on the BIOS. If you go to the Monitor tab, then scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll find Q-Fan Configuration. Then about halfway down there is AIO_PUMP/W_PUMP+ Control, and that's where you can change it to PWM and alter values. I think it is defaulted to 'Disabled', which would then imply AIO_PUMP is set to its default of 100% max. duty cycle. The same settings are universally applied to AIO_PUMP and W_PUMP+, so it wouldn't actually matter which you plugged into I don't think (except for the fact that the Pump cable from the CM240 wouldn't reach the W_PUMP+ header!). And yes, my radiator fans are plugged in to CPU_FAN and are much quieter now.

Yep. It took me a long time (and a lot of reading) to discover the page on the BIOS. If you go to the Monitor tab, then scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll find Q-Fan Configuration. Then about halfway down there is AIO_PUMP/W_PUMP+ Control, and that's where you can change it to PWM and alter values. I think it is defaulted to 'Disabled', which would then imply AIO_PUMP is set to its default of 100% max. duty cycle. The same settings are universally applied to AIO_PUMP and W_PUMP+, so it wouldn't actually matter which you plugged into I don't think (except for the fact that the Pump cable from the CM240 wouldn't reach the W_PUMP+ header!). And yes, my radiator fans are plugged in to CPU_FAN and are much quieter now.
Ah - I see. Thanks for pointing that out.

However, I think the reason I did not look further is that, from my research, the CM240 is not a variable pump design, so is meant to run full tilt through its life cycle. If you find different, do let me know - cannot claim expertise with that.

Hey bombardier,

This was your first hackintosh build you said right? And what about for a first time building a computer? I'm just curious what your thoughts are now that the machine has been up and running for a little while. Was there as much tinkering as you had first thought? Once you get past the initial setup of the drivers, kexts, and making all the necessary tweaks, does the machine really run without a hitch? I'm asking because a couple of my buddies who've built PCs before are trying to steer me away from the hackintosh build for a couple of reasons:

1. I've never built a computer before, let alone a hackintosh, and

2. They think it's going to be months or years of constant headaches, worrying, complaining, etc. every time there's an update to be made or if something "breaks" and stops working.

I know this largely depends on the components and what build you follow, but from what I understand in the months of research is that many people and first time builders do end up with very reliable machines. Now I've pretty much got all my components picked out and I was planning on following the hero builds that you, JC and Stork did, but to be honest I'm still a little hesitant to go for it. I really think the overall experience will be worth it but I really do worry about what's to come in the future, if I will regret it because of things not working or breaking.

The reason why I'm here is because it all came down to money - I was unwilling to spend the insane amount of money on decent spec'd iMac, but still need a new audio production rig to run Logic Pro X. And to make my choice more difficult, I now have one of my buddies telling me he can get me an iMac tax free here in Canada (first nations have status card and they don't pay tax for stores in certain locations). That definitely helps quite a bit.... like $400 savings roughly.

I'll still save around 6 - 700 dollars if I build myself (since I still have to factor in taxes and shipping for the parts) but am wondering if I should just shell out the extra cash for something that I won't ever have to worry about. Ahhhh!! I'm so split in the middle right now... just looking for a bit of advice or maybe for someone to mention some pros or cons I've never thought of. I'm sorry for the slight rant if it sounds like it, but as this is a completely new experience for me I hope you can understand the fear I have with going the hackintosh route. From the short time I've been here I know what an amazing community this is... can a hackintosh really be something you can forget about and just enjoy for many years if you're not planning on upgrading to the latest and greatest software or OS or updates?

Thanks in advance guys.

Speaking as a first-time Hackintosher - do it.

Yes, a first build and first Hackintosh can be a bit overwhelming. Everyone who attempts this has some anxiety over their first build. What you can do is find an experienced PC builder locally, could be a friend or a Pro that will either build it for you or guide you through the process. With the hardware ready for install you're half way there. Then follow one of the Golden/User builds here step by step and it won't take too long to be up and running. It's a process that takes patience. If the hundreds of thousands here that have had success could talk to you personally, most all would say it was worth it to try this.

rjsounds,
We all have to start sometime. I made my first hackintosh back in 2010 using a tonymacx86 CustoMac mATX build. I have since put together approximately one a year since then. I learned as I went along. So, do your research on how others choose their components for their requirements by reading the User and Golden Build descriptions and Sierra Desktop Guides. pastrychef's build is a mATX motherboard based system for his prosumer tasks; he has a very good build description in the Golden Builds forum section.

Good luck! ...and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back