Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
the loss of keyboard/mouse... perhaps I never had that issue as I always had dart=0 checked...

Yea, I followed your original instructions and had VT-d disabled, until someone suggested I change it to ENABLED to solve a contiguous memory issue. I wasn't even able to do that without dart=0. Not sure if @pastrychef can chime in here. He was the one who suggested that I ENABLE Intel Virtualization. I know the two (VT-d and Virtualization) are somehow related but I haven't dug deep enough to understand the differences or the similarities or what dart=0 does even.

Yeah, I'm not versed on exactly what VT-d is. Intel Virtualization has more to do with running virtual machines AFIAK, but may indeed influence memory issues. I believe VT-d also has a role in VMs, but can't say for certain at this moment.

Yea, I followed your original instructions and had VT-d disabled, until someone suggested I change it to ENABLED to solve a contiguous memory issue. I wasn't even able to do that without dart=0. Not sure if @pastrychef can chime in here. He was the one who suggested that I ENABLE Intel Virtualization. I know the two (VT-d and Virtualization) are somehow related but I haven't dug deep enough to understand the differences or the similarities or what dart=0 does even.

VT-x is for enable/disable virtualization. VT-d is for direct I/O in virtualization. As far as I know, macOS has no support for VT-d.

However, Parallels does require it if I am not mistaken (I use Parallels and I am pretty sure I had to turn that on for it to function - been a while...).

However, Parallels does require it if I am not mistaken (I use Parallels and I am pretty sure I had to turn that on for it to function - been a while...).
I'm running Parallels 10 on Mojave with VT-d disabled, but VT-x enabled.

I'm running Parallels 10 on Mojave with VT-d disabled, but VT-x enabled.

'Course, now you are going to make me reboot so I can see if I have that enabled as well (if there is such a choice for this board). Bear in mind you do have a different board than we do.

And so I rebooted, and there is no VT-x in the BIOS for this board, only VT-d that I could see.

@pastrychef @Stork @JCMunsonII and anyone else who cares - please read through at least last few pages of thread below. Long story short - I had to ENABLE VT-d AND remove the dart=0 boot flag to be able to get my Thunderbolt Audio device to work. In the process, I loose USB ports, not sure yet why, but this has something to do with the driver for this particular device requiring a portion of the first 256MB of the physical memory. IDK enough about it, but @joevt certainly seems to. Anyway, while you may not care about my particular application, at issue is certain kexts that are programmed to require physical memory space prior to initialization.

Using a Presonus Quantum Thunderbolt 2 Audio Interface...HELP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back