Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kexts look OK, though I don't know what NoVPA.jpeg.kext does (I don't have that one). I'm not sure, but, there may be a conflict with the two APTIO efi drivers - I suggest you pick one. I do not have VBoxHFS, but do use HFSPlus. My ApfsDriverLoader is named differently than yours (non-64).

The `NoVPA.jpeg.kext` is just a temporary solution to get quick look and preview working, the other solution is to enable iGPU, which I can do in bios but my system stops booting with the error message I mentioned in one of my the previous replies.

I would rather need a helping hand on the drivers because it's not easy to test their need, because you cannot disable them in clover, and if something is missing the system might stop booting. Furthermore I have no idea which are needed or not. Most of them were probably there when I started building the system. Over the time with the clover issue I added some manually (remember when clover updater deleted some), but I don't remember which one I added. I need to find out which drivers are meant what for and what's the difference between the `non-64` versions. It seems confusing to me that on a 64bit system one would use non-64 versions of the drivers.

Again I have no idea where `VBoxHFS` is from, maybe VirtualBox installed them, which seems quite unlikely since it's inside the clover folder.

In looking through your config, if you are using the current Lilu + WhateverGreen, you should remove the Intel GFX information - no Fake ID and no ig-platform-id. Lilu + WhateverGreen auto-determine this. Also, I don't believe you should have "disablegfxfirmware" boot flag set (I don't).

About the WhateverGreen and Lilu, I read that some people don't use these kexts with an AMD graphics card, but other do. This is quite confusing to me, but I haven't tried disabling them and trying to boot. I will experiment with the other flags and check if they are required or not.

IIRC `disablegfxfirmware` was needed to boot into High Sierra back then, but I'm not sure if it's still required.

Of course, make sure Clover & Clover Configurator are current.

I keep it always up to date, of course after other tested it properly.

---

I would still appreciate if you could share your config file (with removed or re-generated SMBIOS) so I can compare the flags and patches more in depth. ;)

OK.

1. remove the IDs as I had suggested above. Current version of Lilu + WhateverGreen autodetermine those.
2. QuickLook/Preview may very well be tied to the iGPU, so make sure that is enabled in BIOS (which is how I have it).
3. uncheck the "disablegfxfirmware" flag.
4. option: use the non-64 version of APTIO (so you match my setup).
5. remove the NoVPA.jpeg.kext.

You can always adjust some of this at boot time in the Clover menus.

Also, if you create a subfolder in the "drivers..." or "kexts/other" folders, you can dump your unused items in each. Clover won't use anything in those subfolders.

Try that and let us know.

When the patch for 10.14.1 came out, after ensuring Clover, Clover Configurator, Lilu, and WhateverGreen were up to date, installed the patch with no issues. Feel free to check out the patch thread here.

Updated to 10.14.2 today:

1. Backup/clone current system.
2. Update Clover Configurator.
3. Update Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC kexts.
4. Update Clover installation.
5. Backup/clone updated system.
6. Download & run the OS update.
7. System rebooted twice and installation proceeded without any issues.

For those still on High Sierra, have any of you installed the new Security Update that showed up on Dec 5th? On my machine it's known as "Security Update 2018-003 10.13.6"
On a Mojave machine it's part of the 10.4.2 update.

See here

JCMunsonII and friends, I am having trouble with the High Sierra 10.13.6 update. I had followed your recommended build - ROG Max Hero IX, i7700K, GeForce GTX 1070 FTW, NvME 960 Pro M.2, Ballistix Elite 16 GB, and Corsair AX860. It ran decently for 6 months (10.13.1), then progressively worse for 6 months, during which time I made no updates. Now, I cannot boot from the USB containing 10.13.6 without the system crashing before even getting much beyond the Clover screen and selecting boot from the external USB. Oddly too, after the crash (and removing power), my system will sometimes not even boot without removing the power a few times and trying again.
What information can I provide that might help diagnose this problem and getting me running again?

JCMunsonII and friends, I am having trouble with the High Sierra 10.13.6 update. I had followed your recommended build - ROG Max Hero IX, i7700K, GeForce GTX 1070 FTW, NvME 960 Pro M.2, Ballistix Elite 16 GB, and Corsair AX860. It ran decently for 6 months (13.10.1), then progressively worse for 6 months, during which time I made no updates. Now, I cannot boot from the USB containing 10.13.6 without the system crashing before even getting much beyond the Clover screen and selecting boot from the external USB. Oddly too, after the crash (and removing power), my system will sometimes not even boot without removing the power a few times and trying again.
What information can I provide that might help diagnose this problem and getting me running again?
You need to have your hardware profile filled out as per rules (the ones you agreed to when signing up here)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/personal-details

JCMunsonII and friends, I am having trouble with the High Sierra 10.13.6 update. I had followed your recommended build - ROG Max Hero IX, i7700K, GeForce GTX 1070 FTW, NvME 960 Pro M.2, Ballistix Elite 16 GB, and Corsair AX860. It ran decently for 6 months (10.13.1), then progressively worse for 6 months, during which time I made no updates. Now, I cannot boot from the USB containing 10.13.6 without the system crashing before even getting much beyond the Clover screen and selecting boot from the external USB. Oddly too, after the crash (and removing power), my system will sometimes not even boot without removing the power a few times and trying again.
Well, now, that's a pickle... and I'm no MacOS expert by any stretch...

1. Have you performed hardware diagnostics to ensure your hardware is not at fault?
  2. Is the board's BIOS up to date?
  3. Will the system boot to a MacOS installation media without any problems? (I think you implied you tried this, however, I don't want to make assumptions)
  4. Is Clover up to date?
  5. Is Clover Configurator up to date (if being used)?
  6. Are your kexts up to date, and located in the proper places?
  7. Are you running the proper SMBIOS profile? (I recommend 18,3 given your hardware stats)
  8. If "YES" to all the above, attach proper reporting files in your reply - Zipped Clover folder sans themes & scrubbed (eg devoid of S/Ns) config.plist.
  9. Define "progressively worse."

Thanks JCMunsonII! My ASUS Hero IX is on its way back to ASUS for warranty repair!
Meanwhile, could you help with a couple questions?
1. Your build begins with El Cap and upgrades all the way to Mojave. With current Multi-beast, kexts and Alt Nvidia drivers, etc, do I still make your "three changes" for El Cap to the Clover bootloader, followed by all the fixes to on-board graphics, h/w sensors, pwr mgmt, USB ports, etc, or can these be skipped? I imagine hamstringing the new MultiBeast, kexts, etc., by making El Cap changes to bootloader.
2. For stability, should I limit my update from 10.13.2 to 10.13.6, or since I am already making changes, go to Mojave - even if the Alt Nvidia graphics drivers are not yet avail?
Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back