Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stork , is it really ACHI, or is it AHCI? I get them confused...

@Stork , is it really ACHI, or is it AHCI? I get them confused...
I get confused, too. The good news is that the acronym starts with an "A" and ends with an "I" and is associated with SATA. :)

I get confused, too. The good news is that the acronym starts with an "A" and ends with a "I" and is associated with SATA. :)
LOL! :lol:

Likely if you were to use the Asus Prime, and everything else was the same, you could follow this build guide, or Stork's, without trouble.

However, if you are using Gigabyte or MSI, your best bet is to use a different guide that follows the family of motherboard chosen.

Fantastic. With every post I read, you guys are really helping make this first time builder a heck of a lot more confident :)

The maximus IX hero has a ton of USB ports compared to a lot of other mobos. Just out of curiosity, are you using most of these, or are there other reasons why this particular mobo was chosen?

Additionally, Kaby Lake as of this date/time is not yet supported by macOS. To make life simpler, wait for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 is released as it will have support for the Kaby Lake processors.

I have no problem waiting a couple months if it will make the overall process a bit simpler. I've still got some more research to do before I complete my component list.

Interesting note about the NVMe SSDs - can you elaborate on what is meant by "they may only be supported as data drives" (as opposed to being use for storage)? I don't want to hijack the thread so if I have more questions I'll post elsewhere.

I have no problem waiting a couple months if it will make the overall process a bit simpler. I've still got some more research to do before I complete my component list.
Just to chip in here - as an absolute beginner with Hackintosh, and someone who followed JC's build (and am in the process of doing my own write-up) don't necessarily let that stop you. A FakeCPUID and system name is all that's really required to get this up and running. Everything else in this build would have to be done with Skylake, too. If you're waiting because of speccing your parts that's another matter though. I just wanted to voice that Kaby Lake doesn't appear a barrier at this stage.

The maximus IX hero has a ton of USB ports compared to a lot of other mobos. Just out of curiosity, are you using most of these, or are there other reasons why this particular mobo was chosen?
Actually, I'm using all but two given the 15-port limit. However, that is of no real consequence as I have a 7-port Sentey USB 3.0 powered hub I've got plugged into a rear USB 3.0 port. I don't have any USB C/Thunderbolt devices with which to play.

As for choosing the motherboard, that's @Stork 's fault - his build went flawlessly (though a 170 series), and I figured a 270, just really being an "update," would go equally well, and for a beginner it went really smoothly. Yes, I did have a couple panic attacks - especially when the kexts didn't register correctly, but a deep breath and some searching fixed that problem rather easily. My kext issue may have been due to El Capitan being initially installed as Stork went with Sierra (which I could not do at the time).

As @bombardier notes, that's not really necessary - a FakeCPUID is all that's needed for Kaby Lake chips to function.

Interesting note about the NVMe SSDs - can you elaborate on what is meant by "they may only be supported as data drives" (as opposed to being use for storage)? I don't want to hijack the thread so if I have more questions I'll post elsewhere.
I believe Stork means simply that those drives could not be booted from (natively) - they could only be used as storage.

Haha, that darn Stork! Well heck, these last few posts have really helped clear the mud when it comes to my decision (and anxiety) in choosing a motherboard. Thanks guys - I think I might end up joining the hero club!

I believe Stork means simply that those drives could not be booted from (natively) - they could only be used as storage.

Ah, ok thanks for clearing that up.

good guide~~thx
i will buy i7-7700K too.

@JCMunsonII,

Your monitor can wakeup when keystrokes on the keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back