Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD630 > EVGA GTX 1070 SC2 > AMD Sapphire RX580 Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added an update to explain why I took this build back to HFS+.

Installed most up-to-date USBInjectAll.kext in preparation for 18,3 System Definition changeover

I was curious as to why you switched over to 18,3. Do you find any advantages in doing so since you changed over?

I was curious as to why you switched over to 18,3. Do you find any advantages in doing so since you changed over?
The switch was prompted by a discussion about it here, and mainly because the 18,3 definition contained support for the Kaby Lake processor family, which we're using. It's just more aligned with the hardware this system is pretending to be! Ad for noticeable advantages, it's difficult to say. I certainly didn't degrade performance in any way.

Just discovered that even though sound out of the line out socket at the rear of the case is working, my front panel headphones and mic sockets no longer work. Not entirely sure how to fix this one!

My system is definitely not as stable or functional after upgrading to High Sierra. I'm almost considering a from-scratch installation at some point. I don't want to spend any more money on it so not going to change GPU and thus remain on High Sierra.

I didn't think I'd ever upgrade this again, but with the prospect of me buying Apple hardware once again once the transition to ARM-based silicon is complete, and the EOL of High Sierra with the release of Big Sur, an Intel-free future for Apple has meant I want to eek a couple of more years from this Hack. I've bitten the bullet and bought a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. I know it's not as powerful as the 1070, but I didn't want to spend too much money. I'm undecided if I'll keep the 1070 for Windows (I dual-boot) or just sell it so that I come out even-money.

I have a couple of main decisions, now:

1) Do I upgrade my (pretty-much fully functioning) High Sierra install, or go for a clean install?

2) Regardless of which I choose for (1), do I go for Mojave as it's relatively bug-free, or go for what I perceive to be a worse OS in Catalina?

I guess if I upgrade, Mojave makes more sense as it's still mostly the same as HS. I also haven't done ANY research on which of my apps may be 32-bit yet, so that could be a bar to going with Catalina anyway.

If @JCMunsonII or @Stork want to chime in I'd be very happy to hear your opinions, as I value them highly as the inspirations for this build.

Things I'd like to fix post-install would be:
a) Front-panel headphone socket not working (worked with VoodooHDA in Sierra, doesn't with Lilu/ALC in HS, although haven't tried every layout-id).
b) Fenvi wireless card wouldn't connect to any WiFi networks so I removed it (I use wired ethernet as primary), and I do have a USB dongle for WiFi that works, so not critical
c) Sleep issues (again!)

@bombardier

I have a Catalina disk with which I'm playing/testing. Most of the time I boot into my Mojave disk, mainly because I have sooooo many 32bit apps to go through and upgrade/delete/replace.

I am using Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics cards on my newer systems, and they work OK/great for my needs. I don't play games nor use apps that require a top of the line graphics card - just some personal audio recording/editing.

My case's Front Panel audio connections work. I'm using the latest AppleALC audio kext as found in MultiBeast. I haven't change the audio layout-id; IIRC, it's "1".

My Fenvi WiFi/BT card works as it should. Make sure you are using the motherboard USB Header #1. (I think it's labeled like that.) Additionally, your USB 15 point limit might need updating. I've converted to a SSDT-USB as created by using Hackintool which I've documented in several of my build descriptions. See this post as an example of using Hackintool.

For your sleep problems...have you tried adding the darkwake parameter to your config.plist's Boot sequence? I'm using darkwake=0 for MyHero II system. Some users have used darkwake=10 with good results.

Good luck. Be sure to backup your High Serra system before updating.

I didn't think I'd ever upgrade this again, but with the prospect of me buying Apple hardware once again once the transition to ARM-based silicon is complete, and the EOL of High Sierra with the release of Big Sur, an Intel-free future for Apple has meant I want to eek a couple of more years from this Hack. I've bitten the bullet and bought a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. I know it's not as powerful as the 1070, but I didn't want to spend too much money. I'm undecided if I'll keep the 1070 for Windows (I dual-boot) or just sell it so that I come out even-money.

I have a couple of main decisions, now:

1) Do I upgrade my (pretty-much fully functioning) High Sierra install, or go for a clean install?

2) Regardless of which I choose for (1), do I go for Mojave as it's relatively bug-free, or go for what I perceive to be a worse OS in Catalina?

I guess if I upgrade, Mojave makes more sense as it's still mostly the same as HS. I also haven't done ANY research on which of my apps may be 32-bit yet, so that could be a bar to going with Catalina anyway.

If @JCMunsonII or @Stork want to chime in I'd be very happy to hear your opinions, as I value them highly as the inspirations for this build.

Things I'd like to fix post-install would be:
a) Front-panel headphone socket not working (worked with VoodooHDA in Sierra, doesn't with Lilu/ALC in HS, although haven't tried every layout-id).
b) Fenvi wireless card wouldn't connect to any WiFi networks so I removed it (I use wired ethernet as primary), and I do have a USB dongle for WiFi that works, so not critical
c) Sleep issues (again!)

1) Depends on how much work/effort you want to go through. I went from HS to Mojave to Catalina (over time) and it wasn't too bad. This is documented in my build.

2) Catalina only runs 64-bit applications (as you point out later), so you first need to check that out. That being said Catalina runs very well on my system (I'm using an MSI Radeon card though as Nvidia + Apple = 0).

a) I don't use headphones with standard jacks, my speakers are attached the rear port, and the headphones I do have are USB-based, so I can't speak to whether the port works on my system.

b) My Fenvi card works just peachy, and it's in the furthest slot from the CPU (whatever number that is).

c) Not much help there I'm afraid. Stork very probably has it right.

What's this about Apple going to ARM??? Not that I'm paying attention, but maybe I need to...

Last edited:
What's this about Apple going to ARM??? Not that I'm paying attention, but maybe I need to...
See the Apple News forum section. A couple of good long threads talk about the Apple Silicon (ARM) transition.

Thanks both for your replies - I knew I could count on you!

I think I'll go to Mojave (ensuring I have the apfs.kext in place as I'm still on HFS+). Seems to be the least painful route, and I think upgrading in-situ will be the first thing I try. I'll have two complete clones before I start!

My case's Front Panel audio connections work. I'm using the latest AppleALC audio kext as found in MultiBeast. I haven't change the audio layout-id; IIRC, it's "1".
I'll run Multibeast after I've upgraded and see if it fixes it. Layout-id '1' worked for me for the rear sockets, just not the front panel. Neither did 3, or 7. Loads more to try, though!
My Fenvi WiFi/BT card works as it should. Make sure you are using the motherboard USB Header #1. (I think it's labeled like that.) Additionally, your USB 15 point limit might need updating. I've converted to a SSDT-USB as created by using Hackintool which I've documented in several of my build descriptions.
I have a custom manual SSDT-USB set up from my original install, but I'd been looking at Hackintool and may use that instead. Could be that something got screwed up in the upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra I guess. I'll look at your builds for Hackintool advice. The Fenvi card was identified fine, it would just never actually connect to a WiFi network.
b) My Fenvi card works just peachy, and it's in the further slot from the CPU (whatever number that is).
Good call on trying it in a different slot, could have been an issue I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back