Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD630 > EVGA GTX 1070 SC2 > AMD Sapphire RX580 Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice build and guide.

I've hit a snag. My multi-card-reader uses the solitary USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. This means that when I get my WiFi/BT card, I wouldn't be able to connect it. Annoyingly, there's an empty USB 3.1 header on the mobo, but I can't find anything like an adaptor or cable that would let me connect a female USB 2.0 8-pin connector to it.

This internal USB hub looks to be a good compromise, if adding more money to the build than I anticipated. It's either that or lose the card reader, which I don't really want to do, as I like the neatness of having it all in the case rather than another external reader.

I've hit a snag. My multi-card-reader uses the solitary USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. This means that when I get my WiFi/BT card, I wouldn't be able to connect it. Annoyingly, there's an empty USB 3.1 header on the mobo, but I can't find anything like an adaptor or cable that would let me connect a female USB 2.0 8-pin connector to it.

This internal USB hub looks to be a good compromise, if adding more money to the build than I anticipated. It's either that or lose the card reader, which I don't really want to do, as I like the neatness of having it all in the case rather than another external reader.
I have an external reader myself since the iMac I have doesn't have any internal readers. I just unplug it when not in use and keep it out of the way... I am guessing you mean SD cards, etc.?

If it's any thing like my Hero VIII there is a 10 pin connector towards the bottom of the board that you can use 2 or 3 pins on it for USB 2. See your manual. This is normally use to connect USB3 and 2 ports to the rear of the case.

This is where my bluetooth/wifi card is plugged into.

I am guessing you mean SD cards, etc.?
Yep. Mainly for my SD cards and occasionally a ProDuo.
If it's any thing like my Hero VIII there is a 10 pin connector towards the bottom of the board that you can use 2 or 3 pins on it for USB 2. See your manual. This is normally use to connect USB3 and 2 ports to the rear of the case.
Alas, the IX has a single USB2.0 header that is part of the ROG_EXT header. Everything I've read suggests there's just no way to use more than one set for USB2.0.

Another alternative is that I get a mini-USB-pin (that which is on the WiFi/BT card) to USB Type 1, and route that through the back of the case and connect it to an external port. Ugly, but cheaper!

Yep. Mainly for my SD cards and occasionally a ProDuo.

Alas, the IX has a single USB2.0 header that is part of the ROG_EXT header. Everything I've read suggests there's just no way to use more than one set for USB2.0.

Another alternative is that I get a mini-USB-pin (that which is on the WiFi/BT card) to USB Type 1, and route that through the back of the case and connect it to an external port. Ugly, but cheaper!
I just looked at your board and it's basically the same as mine. At the bottom of your MB thee is a 10 pin connector. Read your manual about it and it will explain what pins in that area you can use to plug into for USB2.

I just looked at your board and it's basically the same as mine. At the bottom of your MB thee is a 10 pin connector. Read your manual about it and it will explain what pins in that area you can use to plug into for USB2.
On the IX Hero (not Code or Formula) there is definitely only one USB 2.0 header, which is part of the ROG_EXT header. My card-reader is currently using that header, hence why I need to use an alternative method to get my WiFi/BT module up and running.

anyone can make it sleep/wake/shutdown working properly?

On the IX Hero (not Code or Formula) there is definitely only one USB 2.0 header, which is part of the ROG_EXT header. My card-reader is currently using that header, hence why I need to use an alternative method to get my WiFi/BT module up and running.
Ok gotcha. Didn't realize you were using it. :)

anyone can make it sleep/wake/shutdown working properly?
Have you tried the settings in the guide at the beginning of this build? Mine sleeps without many hiccups now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back