Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD630 > EVGA GTX 1070 SC2 > AMD Sapphire RX580 Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you share how to fresh install 10.12.6? Thanks
I haven't installed 10.12.6 yet, and when I do, I'll be updating rather than clean installing. You should probably check other posts on the forums as there are already some guides by the likes of tonymacx86 on what you need to change (like the FakeCPUID removal and black screen fix etc). I'll be updating this post when I do install 10.12.6.

I have just built a system with specs very similar to yours. A few things different from your build are the Cooler Master 212 LED, Fractal R5 case, and different hard drives. I had a few questions though. I am completely new to this and have never built a computer before. So I apologize if some of the questions are ignorant. I followed your guide the closest. I have read through Stork's and JmunsonII's guides as well.

I have the system running. But I haven't done a few of the steps that you did. I was just wondering if my system is working, do i need to do these steps. It seems as though the tools (MultiBeast and UniBeast) may have been updated since you made your build to take care of some of these steps? Unless I am mistaken... which is totally likely because I am sooooo new.

• Ai Overclock Tuner > XMP
I weird issue with this. I couldn't post after I set this... I read through the forums and someone recommended moving ram sticks from a1/b1 to a2/b2. (I have the same RAM as you but I got the 2x16GB sticks) And it worked!

• USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enable
I updated to the latest bios version and this option was not there. Am i going to run into problems because of this?

When you've booted from the USB stick press the right arrow key to get to the Options menu.
  • Under the SMBIOS menu, change both the Product Name and Board Version to read iMac14,2.
This was already there when I went into the options.
  • Until native Kaby Lake support arrives (hopefully with the 10.12.6 update), in the Binaries Patching menu you'll need to edit the Fake CPUID field to read 0x0506E3 (the Skylake CPU ID). Again, once native support arrives you can delete this.
I think this is done already for me somehow... I might be wrong.

In Clover Configurator, add this change to the ACPI section:
Code:
Change PEGP to GFX0
Find 50454750
Replace 47465830

I don't know how to do this or what it does.... but my card seems to be working. unless I'm missing something. Do I need to do this step?

This SSDT-GFX0.aml file should be installed to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/
These kexts should be installed, and the Fake ones removed.
Reboot to the BIOS. Go to: System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > and set to PEG.

You may need to enter the VoodooHDA Preferences Pane and reconfigure your audio settings.
Again, I don't know how to do this. Is this necessary?

Fixing Power Management

This guide is what you need to follow.

My system, like Heroica, would not stay shutdown, and had persistent sleep issues. These are not fully resolved, but these seem to have helped:

Fixes a wake issue:
Code:
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
Clover Configurator > ACPI > FixShutdown_0004 - helps to keep the system shutdown
Clover Configurator > ACPI > SlpSmiAtWake - could help with sleep issues
Clover Configurator > ACPI > Halt Enabler - could help with sleep issues
Clover Configurator > Boot > Darkwake=8 - could help with sleep issues

I don't seem to be having issues with wake and sleep, yet... knock on wood. Should I still do this step?

Fixing USB Ports
This guide is what you need to follow. It takes time, and a bit of head-scratching, but you'll get there! You'll need to use IO Registry Explorer (that's a downloadable option from your Developer Account once you have XCode installed).

Once you've generated and installed your SSDT for the USB ports, install XHCI-200-series-injector.kext which is part of OS-X-USB-Inject-All.

NOTE: On this board, there are two red USB3.1 sockets. I have no idea if they run at 3.1 speeds, or only 3.0, but these are NOT included in the 15-port-limit you're working through above, as they're on a different controller. They showed up as PRT1-PRT4 in IOReg Explorer for me. You can also use the following to enable charging of devices over those two ports:
Code:
Change EC0 to EC
Find 453305F
Replace 45435F5F

Once you've confirmed everything is working as it should, disable the port limit patch - Clover Configurator > Kernel and Kext patches > AppleUSBXHCIPCI patch.

I think there was an option in MultiBeast that had the 200 series increase max port limit. Will that take care of this step? All my USB ports seem to work, except the type C because I don't have anything to plug into it... I can't seem to get my Linksys USB WiFi adapter to be recognized by the port though...

Change SAT0 to SATA

Clover Configurator > ACPI > DSDT Patches:
Code:
Comment: Rename SAT0 to SATA
Find: 53415430
Replace: 53415441
Reboot after applying the change. You can verify the change in IO Registry Explorer.

Can you tell me what ths step is for? I have no clue... lol

Sorry about this long post. thanks for your patience for this noob hackintosher.

I updated to the latest bios version and this option was not there. Am i going to run into problems because of this?

I did the same and it's now listed as Mouse and Keyboard Simulator , but please don't enable this because the Hackintosh will not boot then.

I have a weird issue. Yesterday I build my system and despite it was already very late, booted, Clover ran, I installed macOs 10.12.6 - and was just excited that it this worked first try *yeay!*. not with the Nvidea drivers yet but well that would be for tomorrow (e.g. today). I ran migration assistant to move all the apps/settings/files from my 2015 macbook pro.
when I woke up today both computers said everything was moved and ready to go :) [I have about 900gb of data]

but then I ran into the famous login bug: I could login to my account but osx would immediately log me out. I've sadly encountered this before - so I don't think its a hackingtosh issue; I just kinda forgot migration assistant is broken.
I was running in circles trying to fix this; and a bit sleep deprived I thought: lets start over!
(I had run the Nvidea installer at this point)

So I formatted the ssd. and now I cannot even get into the installer. I formatted both drives multiple times (using the macbook, I use an older ssd connected to usb2 port as 'usb stick') and even recreated the clover install disk.
I followed the guide posted on this website.

I do not understand why it went so smoothly yesterday and today I cannot even get into the installer? I did not change anything - unless sleepy me did read the nvidea installer and it did something to the card (which I doubt but hey! computers.).

Since then I've updated the bios, changed some power management settings and cpu virtualisation settings. I tried with the option to load nvidea drivers, without it. changing the computer id... to no avail. I'm going to physically remove the gpu now - since I'm using an older monitor to install and use it connected to the hdmi port.

I just cannot understand why I had no issues yesterday while today it just doesn't work. :(
my spider sense says it will be something trivial but .. anyone have an idea?

20:11: hold on! I did some multibeast tweaks as well and it just hit me that my while I DID erase the target ssd with macOS - it might not have been fully erased at all -- causing me to using those wrong tweaks constantly --- ffs: it just booted into the installer. Well then thats solved! should have know that the efi part would remain untouched. sigh
(I disconnected the target ssd and am now greated with the familiar install screen)

//will do some more testing and trying, will update this comment

Last edited:
Ai Overclock Tuner > XMP
I weird issue with this. I couldn't post after I set this... I read through the forums and someone recommended moving ram sticks from a1/b1 to a2/b2. (I have the same RAM as you but I got the 2x16GB sticks) And it worked!
Great! I didn't have an issue with RAM but I'm glad you got yours sorted.

Looks like ralfka64 is suggesting that the new setting for it breaks the install. I can't comment as I've not updated my BIOS yet, sorry.

When you've booted from the USB stick press the right arrow key to get to the Options menu.
  • Under the SMBIOS menu, change both the Product Name and Board Version to read iMac14,2.
This was already there when I went into the options.
  • Until native Kaby Lake support arrives (hopefully with the 10.12.6 update), in the Binaries Patching menu you'll need to edit the Fake CPUID field to read 0x0506E3 (the Skylake CPU ID). Again, once native support arrives you can delete this.
I think this is done already for me somehow... I might be wrong.

Did you install 10.12.5 or 10.12.6? If it was the latter, then the CPU ID spoofing is not required as 10.12.6 is compatible with Kaby Lake processors.

Code:
Change PEGP to GFX0
Find 50454750
Replace 47465830

I don't know how to do this or what it does.... but my card seems to be working. unless I'm missing something. Do I need to do this step?

This is to mimic what the discreet GPU is called in an iMac14 model. It can sometimes help with black screen issues, or sound over HDMI etc. If you experience any of those types of things, then try changing that and see if it fixes it.

You may need to enter the VoodooHDA Preferences Pane and reconfigure your audio settings.
Again, I don't know how to do this. Is this necessary?

Only if your sound isn't working after you've installed those kexts.

Fixing Power Management
I don't seem to be having issues with wake and sleep, yet... knock on wood. Should I still do this step?

Not if you're not having issues with sleep, no.

Fixing USB Ports
I think there was an option in MultiBeast that had the 200 series increase max port limit. Will that take care of this step? All my USB ports seem to work, except the type C because I don't have anything to plug into it... I can't seem to get my Linksys USB WiFi adapter to be recognized by the port though...

You really need to read the guide I've linked to. It explains why you need to do it. Your ports may work with the max port limit increase enabled, but it could make your system unstable or unpredictable. This is done to replicate port numbers that are allowable under macOS.

Change SAT0 to SATA
Can you tell me what ths step is for? I have no clue... lol

Again, it's to replicate what macOS expects your SATA device to be called for the model of Mac you are mimicking. You may find it works without it, but no harm in applying it.

Sorry about this long post. thanks for your patience for this noob hackintosher.
No problem, I'm no expert myself, but hope I've been able to help in some way.

Thanks for your response. I will slowly work at these things as I learn how to do them. I did install 10.12.6.
I have a few more questions if I may...

1. Can you tell me how to do the code part in clover configurator? for example this step you suggested:

Code (Text):

Change PEGP to GFX0
Find 50454750
Replace 47465830

2. also, i have a nvidia 950 card. Can I use this card along with the 1070? is there any advantage to putting that card in along with the 1070? I run mostly davinci resolve, fcp and premiere.

3. migrating. I have read in another part of this forum that I can use migration assistant as long as i uncheck other files and folders. Did you go through this at all? I have a 3 tb and 2 tb drive in my old mac pro tower. they are not boot drives and only contain project files. I was going to just take them out of the mac pro and put them in my new build. I was assuming that I would be able to read the drives from my new build.... is this a correct assumption?

Finally got internet, had to dig out a super long ethernet cable as my linksys wusb6300 is still not being recognized with the build. I will test imessage and report back. Thanks again for this. FYI I bought my components based off your build. Motherboard, RAM, Processor, and even the exact same graphics card lol. I had purchased the r5 case, a different powersupply(cant remember which one, its 750w) and mastercooler 212 back in january because there were some good deals and was slowly thinking of building this thing. But I dragged my feet because it was so daunting. But your post inspired me and made me think that i could do it... lol. So just want to say thanks!

@Namjam: if you can avoid Migration Assistant, don't use it. especially if you already made your user on the new mac, it mess up file permissions pretty bad. (thing is kinda broken that way since El-Captain) I used it b/c I have a lot of configurations and apps (900gb worth) - and even when I used it between genuine macs it messes up.
I hope that pulls through this time but I dunno yet b/c he is still booting on first login (and doing something, maybe file permission check?) will update when I know more!

I've updated my BIOS as well and had the USB keyboard thing disabled. my fault was a faulty leftover Efi partition.

1. Can you tell me how to do the code part in clover configurator? for example this step you suggested:

Code (Text):

Change PEGP to GFX0
Find 50454750
Replace 47465830
It's not exactly code. The ACPI section is the first one in Clover Configurator, and you just need to add the above as a DSDT patch. Like this:
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 09.21.42.png

2. also, i have a nvidia 950 card. Can I use this card along with the 1070? is there any advantage to putting that card in along with the 1070? I run mostly davinci resolve, fcp and premiere.
Definitely a no, you can't SLI a 950 together with a 1070, you would have to use one or the other card, so stick with the 1070.

3. migrating. I have read in another part of this forum that I can use migration assistant as long as i uncheck other files and folders. Did you go through this at all? I have a 3 tb and 2 tb drive in my old mac pro tower. they are not boot drives and only contain project files. I was going to just take them out of the mac pro and put them in my new build. I was assuming that I would be able to read the drives from my new build.... is this a correct assumption?
I have never in my life used Migration Assistant, always believing a manual install / move process to be the most robust. My advice here, too. If the drives are not boot drives, then simply inserting them into the Mac (with the power off, obviously) should work just fine for you. As with any process like this, make sure you have a current backup of those drives before you move them, just in case.

...But your post inspired me and made me think that i could do it... lol. So just want to say thanks!
No problem at all, glad it inspired you, just like JC inspired me!

SLI won't work, but having multiple video cards installed to utilize their GPGPU abilities should be fine. The three apps you listed should all benefit from having the extra compute units.

Yes, you can transplant the drives from your old Mac Pro to the hackintosh. I did the same. As a matter of fact, I even transplanted my boot drive. I just copied a working EFI folder to the old Mac Pro's boot drive, then transplanted it from Mac Pro to hackintosh and everything worked. I did this over one year ago and I'm still using it today.

@bombardier: thanks to your guide I got my new rig up and running, but I cannot get the sound card to work. No devices listed under system>sound. I also have an issue with media playback, VLC works - but iTunes and Youtube in Safari do not playback anything. I've loaded the Realtec fix + 200 fix in MultiBeast - and I have 3 audio devices listed in system settings. Running 10.12.6. Did you get this to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back