Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD630 > EVGA GTX 1070 SC2 > AMD Sapphire RX580 Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early days, but the move to 18,3 seems like it was a good one, too. I haven't noticed the graphical glitches I was getting, nor the odd momentary pause or slowdown.
I had to "fall back" to the iMac14,2 because 10.13.4/5 somehow does not permit the use of my RX 580 graphics card's DP ports. Strange. Good olde iMac14,2. BTW, power management is very good at 14,2, too. :thumbup:

Shame it didn't work out for you. My Mac slept overnight last night and woke with no problems this morning, and I'll do the same tonight (I usually just put it to sleep every night). Having said that, I'm still on 10.12.6 (and have no plans to go to 10.13).

I had to "fall back" to the iMac14,2 because 10.13.4/5 somehow does not permit the use of my RX 580 graphics card's DP ports. Strange. Good olde iMac14,2. BTW, power management is very good at 14,2, too. :thumbup:
I realize we're getting little sidetracked off the main thread, but isn't it funny how the "card" MacOS is supposed to natively support doesn't work quite so well, yet the NVidia card, not supported, seems to work just fine.

I wonder if there is a technical difference between the Apple AMD cards & the standard market (aka PC) versions? I mean that Apple's version is a fork on the tree.

I guess that’s possible. Maybe it’s because the ports are effectively ‘external’ as far as an iMac is concerned. Could it be that once the card is recognised it invokes code that just doesn’t have those port descriptors in or something?

Strange USB problem since updating to the last security update (10.12.6 (16G1510) - every so often my mouse pointer will stop moving for a second or two, or the left button acts as if it's still held down. Haven't done any troubleshooting yet (i.e. port swapping the keyboard (mouse is plugged into it). Will do that but it's pretty annoying!

What sort of mouse? Where is is plugged in to?

Logitech LS1 laser wired mouse, plugged into the right hand socket of the extended Apple wired keyboard, plugged into a rear USB socket on the machine. Tried a different mouse, same result. I've just changed the USB socket it's in and will try that, then I'll try the mouse directly into a machine socket if I still have the same problem. Hard to rule out a software update of an application having an effect, but as certain as I can be that it was introduced after the security update.

Old mouse or new mouse? If new, definitely try it in a dedicated port. I'd forgotten about the pass-through keyboard ports. I think I tried using them with wired mice before and had strange behaviors until I plugged it into a dedicated port.

Old mouse started exhibiting the behaviour so bought a brand new one which did the same thing! Never had an issue withe the keyboard ports before, but a first time for everything I guess! I'll monitor what's happening now I've switched machine ports this afternoon and cross my fingers that it solves it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back