Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD630 > EVGA GTX 1070 SC2 > AMD Sapphire RX580 Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you've ended up with a build you like! I'm really happy with mine, and thanks for contributing your findings - I'm intrigued that you got dual monitors working first time - do they survive a reboot? The changes I made largely sorted sleep issues (as noted in the updates section). Oh, and in case you haven't found it yet, Utilities/Activity Monitor is your Task Manager equivalent ;)

I benefitted a LOT from @JCMunsonII doing this before me, who in turn benefitted from @Stork et al. so it's nice to see that being paid forward! Welcome to the Hero Club!

Glad you've ended up with a build you like! I'm really happy with mine, and thanks for contributing your findings - I'm intrigued that you got dual monitors working first time - do they survive a reboot? The changes I made largely sorted sleep issues (as noted in the updates section). Oh, and in case you haven't found it yet, Utilities/Activity Monitor is your Task Manager equivalent ;)

I benefitted a LOT from @JCMunsonII doing this before me, who in turn benefitted from @Stork et al. so it's nice to see that being paid forward! Welcome to the Hero Club!

Hey, thanks.

Yeah, I'm just as surprised as you are. both monitors were plugged in, but only the left one woke up during boot, installation, first setup and first time on the desktop. then I went through the MultiBeast + Nvidia drivers step, restarted, and when it came back up both monitors lit up, with main one set to the right one. It's interesting because this is exactly the same behaviour with Windows installation. And as usual, first thing I do after installation is to swap monitors around as I use the left one as main.

On a side note, as I mentioned in my previous post I was going to give High Sierra a go. I went with it as if I was installing Sierra. I created the installation disk with UniBeast, rebooted, got to installation screen, created an image of my system disk, cleaned the drive and went on with the installation. Again with everything connected. Only this time installation rebooted 3 times. Got to the desktop and only left monitor was on, then ran MultiBeast, installed Nvidia and restarted. After boot both monitors lit up again, and again they were swapped around (have I been using it wrong? is the right one supposed to be the main one?) So I went and installed the funny character crash update, it rebooted a couple times, then I'm back on the desktop and only left monitor is on. Nvidia driver pops up telling me to update drivers. I do. Rebooted. Back again with both monitors on.

I'm actually awed by how easy this process is being. Last time I tried the whole hackintoshing thing about 4 years ago I almost had a stroke LOL :-D

My experience with dual monitors is that both monitors only light up if the nVida drivers are properly installed. If I use the Mac OSX default drivers then only one of my monitors lights up.

BTW- the monitors work all the way through the boot process. Well, only one monitor does but that's all I need a boot time.

I've used NVidia Web Drivers from day one - still can't get the machine to boot at all if more than one is connected at startup!

I wonder if that's an HDMI vs DP thing?

I only have the one monitor, so I can't test the theory.

I have two connected via Display Port and one via DVI. Haven't managed to get any permutation of those connections to work, although I've not tried any connected via HDMI. Not a bad idea.

I don't think you'll get 4k (if you are even using that) out of HDMI - you may need DP for that. I had forgotten about the DVI...

Biggest I'm using is 2560 x 1440, the other two are 1920 x 1080 and 1440 x 900, so they'd be fine over HDMI, except both of them would have to be using an adapter as they don't have native HDMI sockets!

Well, then I suppose that kills that test... ;)

My two are both 4K though I don’t run them at that resolution. Both are connected via DP to the GTX1080Ti.

Edit: I should state that they actually do work at 4K if I set them to it. I reserve 4K for FCPX work. The rest of the time I run them a lower resolution so my eyes don’t go on strike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back