Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again! Sorry to post back in this thread, but after a weekend of hammering away at it, my build is complete, and I'm nearing the end of the initial setup. I've followed all of the instructions in @Stork's Hero build guide, and all of yours here, @JCMunsonII. I can't thank you both enough for making my first build much easier than it could have been!

There were a few head scratching moments of WTF am I doing wrong, but with mercifully quick realisations to correct my errors!

No doubt I installed some kexts that I didn't need to (like the emulated NVRAM mobo one - not sure whether or not I needed this for the Maximus IX), and no doubt I've bodged some of it, but it seems to be working!

I had a couple of questions though if I may?

1) I ran the power management script, and the SSDT was put in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED - do I need to do anything else? AppleIntelInfo.kext had this max states line at the end of my output:
CPU P-States [ (8) 13 14 16 18 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 42 45 ]
I assume that's OK. Is it right, though, that in the Energy Saver preferences pane I don't have the usual 'Computer Sleep' slider though? I just have a 'Display Sleep' slider with a 'Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off' checkbox underneath. I don't have that on my Mac mini - no cause for alarm though? There seems to be no discernible difference in fan speeds when powered up either - should there be? Admittedly I've done nothing so far to put the computer under load. Just seems louder than I'd like.

1a) Related to the above, potentially, in my BIOS setup, I was unable to change the CPU Fan settings. Well, I could, but I could not apply them (other fans I could) - did you have that issue?

2) USB 15 port limit SSDT: I've done the port investigation (I'm curious, which did you turn off?!) and am ready to create my SSDT. Would you mind sharing yours with me please? I will build my own, but it would be really useful for me to learn by comparing it with yours?

I'm sure there will be more questions, but that's it for now, and thanks again.

1) Your PM SSDT is working as it should. I, too, don't have the computer sleep slider, but I don't use sleep much anymore. So, no big deal.

1a) I have a Corsair H55 liquid processor cooler with a Fan Control Header that plugs into the HERO VIII motherboard. Never had a temperature problem and, truthfully, I can hear the fan. But, I'm old. :lol:

2) I have procrastinated in making the SSDT-USB.aml. I'm almost done with notating all the USB information for my HERO VIII. So, maybe in the next coming weeks, I'll publish my notes and SSDT in my thread. I'm following pastrychef's method which I reference in my Gene build description.

1) I ran the power management script, and the SSDT was put in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED - do I need to do anything else? AppleIntelInfo.kext had this max states line at the end of my output:
CPU P-States [ (8) 13 14 16 18 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 42 45 ]
I assume that's OK. Is it right, though, that in the Energy Saver preferences pane I don't have the usual 'Computer Sleep' slider though? I just have a 'Display Sleep' slider with a 'Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off' checkbox underneath. I don't have that on my Mac mini - no cause for alarm though? There seems to be no discernible difference in fan speeds when powered up either - should there be? Admittedly I've done nothing so far to put the computer under load. Just seems louder than I'd like.
Instead of the "power management script," (I assume you mean the ssdtPRGen.sh), follow the "Native Power Management" thread and implement that instead. I updated my build with that on 5/26/2017 - in the updates sectin. Much more efficient in this case.

1a) Related to the above, potentially, in my BIOS setup, I was unable to change the CPU Fan settings. Well, I could, but I could not apply them (other fans I could) - did you have that issue?
Unfortunately, with this board, we have limited fan settings. Set it on "Silent" in the Fan Control. There are two fan control modes (I'm not in front of the machine ATM) in the top right corner of the Fan Control screen - set it to the other mode to enable the Silent mode. You'll have to set that mode for each fan/group you have in place. But, yes, they are not quiet though better than previous generations of fans. For stock fans I think they're pretty good. Would be nice to lower the fan curve, but, Silent is the best you can do with this motherboard.

USB 15 port limit SSDT: I've done the port investigation (I'm curious, which did you turn off?!) and am ready to create my SSDT. Would you mind sharing yours with me please? I will build my own, but it would be really useful for me to learn by comparing it with yours?
I can tell you I left the front ports ON (they are dual USB3 (5 & 6?), & USB 2 ports 1 & 2), after that I'll have to consult my notes which I'm not in front of, so I'll get back to you on that one. It really is a trivial thing to figure out which are which and completely up to you which you want turn off.

I turned off ports HS03/SS03, 15300000, and 14300000. Looking at the board in its flat position, that's the top USB 2.0 port, and the top USB 3.0 port. I believe the others were two other ports listed at the bottom of the IOReg list that I had no idea what they went to and neither did RehabMan.

Thanks! Did the native power management this morning, and that all seems to be working. Real test will be letting it sleep overnight tonight (it woke last night, but I had Power Nap enabled - I've since turned that off, and also changed my Darkwake setting). If you shared your SSDT for the USB sockets with me, would I be able to use MaciASL to edit that to replace the disabled ports? I'll have a slightly different list to you as I've installed an internal multi-card reader on a mobo USB2 header that uses two ports (seemed to work out of the box though which I was delighted about!).

I can't even launch MaciASL at the moment though, as I'm presented with this error:

Decompilation Error:

iASL returned:

Loading Acpi table from file iASLvpGz4Y.aml
Acpi table [DSDT] successfully installed and loaded
Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

I click OK and the message disappears, but nothing opens.

I'm a bit stuck as to where to go with getting that SSDT generated, hence asking for yours to edit!

Thanks for all of your help so far - loving this build at the moment. Benchmarked almost the same as yours :)

The rattling grille saga continues... The paper shims no longer did the trick, so I wrote Corsair about it. In the meantime, I left the shims in and removed the two screws that secured the grille to the case. The grille isn't going anywhere, so that's not a problem. The grille has ceased its rattling. I removed the screws as I noticed earlier removing them to remove the grille stopped the excess rattling. They must have relieved some sort of pressure which may have caused undue buckling in the grille components (nothing to do with the shims), hence the rattle. So, for now, it isn't rattling. We'll see what Corsair has to say on the subject.

Sadly, the HDCP issue doesn't appear to have been fixed after all. Darn you Amazon!!!

Hey JCMunsonII, just wanted to say you have a great build. I've really enjoyed reading all the details of your build (not to mention many of the other great user builds on this forum).

I have a question for you: As I prepare to build my first hackintosh, I'm looking at very similar specs compared to yours. What determines how closely one can follow a user build? I can assume it would largely depend on the mobo, cpu, and gpu... but maybe I'm wrong? If I were to have almost all the same components as you, but say instead of a hero went with an Asus Prime z270a (or a gigabyte board, etc.), could I still follow your build?

Hey JCMunsonII, just wanted to say you have a great build. I've really enjoyed reading all the details of your build (not to mention many of the other great user builds on this forum).
Thanks!

I have a question for you: As I prepare to build my first hackintosh, I'm looking at very similar specs compared to yours. What determines how closely one can follow a user build? I can assume it would largely depend on the mobo, cpu, and gpu... but maybe I'm wrong? If I were to have almost all the same components as you, but say instead of a hero went with an Asus Prime z270a (or a gigabyte board, etc.), could I still follow your build?
In my view, the further one departs from a given "build," the more likely one will encounter "stuff" not documented. The main part of the build is the motherboard - each one's BIOS settings/screens may be a little different and also the way it behaves relative to the installation of MacOS. After that, the processor is not as consequential, and neither is the graphics card - as long as the same family is adhered to. NVMe vs SSD/HDD do make a difference - I didn't use NVMe and that requires a different supporting procedure. RAM, as long as it is a compatible variety, shouldn't make any difference at all.

Likely if you were to use the Asus Prime, and everything else was the same, you could follow this build guide, or Stork's, without trouble.

However, if you are using Gigabyte or MSI, your best bet is to use a different guide that follows the family of motherboard chosen.

rjsounds, the biggest difference is the motherboard's audio and Ethernet chipsets which will require the appropriate driver choices in MultiBeast. If you decide on a motherboard that is not in the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, make sure those two chipsets are supported in MultiBeast. (See the MultiBeast Features document which comes with MultiBeast or at MultiBeast.com.)

Additionally, Kaby Lake as of this date/time is not yet supported by macOS. To make life simpler, wait for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 is released as it will have support for the Kaby Lake processors.

As for M.2 SSDs, the AHCI (SATA) versions are supported OOB. However, for NVMe M.2 SSDs, you'll need to create a special SSDT and kext per RehabMan's [Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof. I worked through this mod in my Gene system build (see link in my signature block). But, I used a M.2 AHCI (SATA) in MyHero build.

Note: Apple's new macOS High Sierra, due out in the Fall, is rumored to have support for the standard NVMe SSDs, but the latest rumor is that NVMe SSDs are only supported as data drives. Stay tuned for more information after the High Sierra 10.13 Public Beta is released (any day now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back