Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Prime Z390-P + i5-9600k + Sapphire Nitro+ RX VEGA56 8G HBM2 Headless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z390-P
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Farfabello's Build:
ASUS Prime Z390-P | Core i5-9600K | Sapphire Nitro+ RX VEGA56 8G HBM2
[edited on 2020.01.24]

Components

Asus PRIME Z390-P Intel Z390 ATX
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07HS7C646/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

Intel Core i5-9600K processor 3,7 GHz
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07HHLX1R8/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

Sapphire Nitro+ RX VEGA56 8G HBM2 (price has dropped by almost 100€ from the first days of December o_O)
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0785VKSXC/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

Kolink Stronghold White - Case Mid-Tower ATX
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07MZG2LKN/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

Corsair RM750x Modular, 80 Plus Gold, 750 Watt, EU, RMX, White
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07GY3VFW8/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

Cooler Master MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B075YPG52N/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

2x Crucial CT500P1SSD8 P1 500GB, SSD 500 GB, 3D NAND, PCIe, NVMe, M.2
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07J2WBKXF/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

Corsair Vengeance LPX, 16 GB (2 X 8 GB), DDR4, 3200 MHz
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

Comments

This is my second attempt to build an hackintosh: the first time I did it, four years ago, it was as simple as drink a glass of water. This time I encountered many difficulties - like everyone else of course.

I'm not an expert on the subject, I still need a lot of help to fine-tune my machine, but I still want to share my work since - apparently - the machine works quite well.

Optional

I've installed Windows 10 on a second M.2 SSD. I'm actually dual bootin' my machine because I like play games too. If you want to have a dual boot too, please follow the guide linked at the Credits section.

Installation Notes

IMPORTANT:
this guide refers to a motherboard with the BIOS updated to version 2606, I cannot guarantee that it works with an ASUS Z390-P motherboard with different firmware versions.

I've connected my dGPU to a smart TV via HDMI. I haven't tried display ports but they are supposed to work. Luckily, HDMI works on my system.

When I created the USB installer, I did it with UniBeast 9.1, and I suffered of many major issues due mainly to the Clover version installed by UniBeast. I didn't tried UniBeast 9.3. It doesn't matter, anyway, since I suppose that you'll use the EFI content that I've attached here.
Last but not least, inside my EFI zip file there is that USBPorts.kext provided by @poles (thanks, oh, thanks) that solved my problems with USB ports and probably will solve yours. You should keep an eye on that kext since you'll not find it elsewhere.

What works, what doesn't, what I don't know

iBooks, iCloud, iMessage, App Store, iTunes Store, NightShift are working flawlessy out-of-the-box.
Audio (HDMI out -> LG Smart TV speakers, Internal speakers -> line out; line in)
USB ports are working all (no kexts, SSDT patched for Apple's 15 ports limit).
Sleep, reboot, power nap, power off are working correctly.
VDA Decoding works.
HW Acceleration works.
DRM playback works.

Fixed:
I've experienced a common issue of Finder's preview - and Preview app - with jpegs not working (spinning wheel), fixed with suggestions in the "Post-installation" section.
I've experienced also a weird LAN behavior, also fixed with suggestions in the "Post-installation" section.

Not tested:
I haven't connected any Bluetooth dongle but an old Logitech adapter for MX5500 cordless desktop that works out of the box.
I don't need WiFi since I'm on LAN.
AirDrop not tested.

BIOS Settings
  • Load optimized defaults;
  • Ai Overclock Tuner -> XMP I;
  • Vt-d -> Disabled;
  • Above 4G Decoding - Disabled;
  • Primary Display -> PCIE;
  • iGPU Multi-Monitor -> Enabled;
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 128M;
  • SATA Mode Selection -> AHCI;
  • HD Audio -> Enabled;
  • Serial Port Configuration -> OFF;
  • ErP Ready -> Enabled;
  • Legacy USB Support -> Enabled;
  • XHCI Hand-off -> Enabled;
  • Network Stack -> Disabled;
  • OS Type -> Other OS.

Before you start

As written above, I'm not an expert tweaker, and I tweaked enough to forget part of the work. So don't expect from me an explanation of what I did.
The most is a fork of the work of @poles, @ModMike and @Averett firstly. I did a very little of my own.

You should download UniBeast and Clover Configurator. Then go on reading my guide.

Creating the installer

Download the Mojave installer from the Apple Mac App store.

Follow the guide to create the installer.

Once UniBeast has finished its job, the USB EFI partition should be already mounted. If not, launch Clover Configurator and mount it.

Erase the Usb EFI content (or back it up somewhere if you prefer). Download My Efi.zip attached, extract it and copy EFI folder into your usb EFI.

Copy Clover Configurator app onto the USB drive.

Installation

Disconnect the machine from any network first to avoid weird freezes once Mojave has been installed!

Since I suppose that you're installing a fresh copy of Mojave, you can follow tonymacx86's guide except for the drive format. Once you launched Disk Utility, go to View tab and select "View all devices (cmd+2). Then format your destination drive as APFS. Then, let the installer do all the job. Nothing weird should happen. The system should reboot twice automatically without freezes. When system reboots, probably you should select UEFI USB as boot device, and from USB's Clover you should pick "Boot from Mojave" HDD or SSD.
NOTE: if for some reason, the system will freeze at 2 minutes or 14 minutes until the end of installation process, you can reset the PC and boot clover from USB drive, then select your SSD as boot disk.

Post-install

Once Mojave has been correctly installed, you should boot once again the usb drive and select Mojave HDD/SSD as boot disk. Go on with the first configuration of the system, skip the network configuration and iCloud configuration, and once into the desktop copy Clover Configurator from the USB drive into Applications folder. Launch it, mount both EFI partitions (USB and HDD/SSD), then copy the USB EFI content into your internal drive's EFI.

Then, open the config.plist in your internal drive's EFI, go to SMBIOS menu, generate a new serial number and a new SmUUID.
Then, go to System Parameters menu, click on "Get it from system" button under the Custom UUID tab.
Save your config.plist file, and reboot.
You can now connect your machine to the network.
Login with your Apple ID/iCloud ID.
Enjoy.

• Fix Finder's preview of jpegs not working (spinning wheel)

Thanks to @Averett, there's more info here.​
I'm supposing that you have configured your machine in SMBIOS as iMac19,1. So, follow @Averett 's instructions and search for "Mac-AA95B1DDAB278B95". Delete the section as he suggests. Reboot and enjoy.​

• If your LAN doesn't work when you turn on the machine, and you have to disconnect and reconnect the LAN cable
Thanks to @poles , more info here.​
Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist, preferences.plist, com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist, com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist.​
Then reboot in recovery mode, launch the terminal, type​
csrutil disable . You have disabled SIP protection.​
Reboot the machine.​
Launch Terminal, then type separately the following commands:​
  1. sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
  2. sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
  3. sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
  4. sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
  5. sudo kextcache -i /
Reboot the machine to take effect.​
You should reboot once in recovery mode and re-enable SIP protection:​
Launch Terminal again and type​
csrutil enable.​
Reboot the machine, the network issue should have been fixed.​

Benchmarks

Credits and references

I haven't created something new. I have already thanked some members for their work.
Here the threads that helped me.

The basis
Other help and knowledge
Dual Boot Mac Os / Win 10
Preview Fix

Conclusion

If you liked my guide and you want to help me with many minor or future issues you're welcome!

Attachments

• EFI headless.zip
    25.7 MB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Did you ever get an NVMe assert failed error? 83369778_558438085016398_1944553731823501312_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I did. Are you using my EFI as starting point?
What hardware you have?
Which HDD/SSD are you using?
If you have an Asus Z390P, what firmware version does it have?
I was able to get rid of that error and freeze using an ACPI patch and two drivers, OsxAptioFix3Drv and EmuVariable.

I'm pretty sure the problem was caused by my m.2 SSD EVO 970 Plus seems to have comparability issues which i hadn't checked beforehand. :) The error is now gone when I unplugged it

How do i check which firmware I have, BTW?

Although I still have a problem with my ports (Appleusbxhci unsupported speed mantissa), and waiting on <dict id=0 .... etc.).

Attachments

• 83995716_462399887771615_891366921222488064_n.jpg
    83995716_462399887771615_891366921222488064_n.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 163
I'm pretty sure the problem was caused by my m.2 SSD EVO 970 Plus seems to have comparability issues which i hadn't checked beforehand. :) The error is now gone when I unplugged it

How do i check which firmware I have, BTW?

Although I still have a problem with my ports (Appleusbxhci unsupported speed mantissa), and waiting on <dict id=0 .... etc.).
You can see which BIOS version you have entering the BIOS, the main page shows you the version (upper left)

I have read that some Samsung SSDs could be problematic.

I've read some other posts from you. If you think having weird RAM, try to enable MEMOK from the motherboard, (There's a switch somewhere. Please refer to the manual.)
Anyway you should be able to set the RAM to XMP I

These are my BIO settings:

AI Tweaker -> Ai Overclock Tuner -> XMP 1;

CPU Configuration -> Intel Virtualization Technology -> Disabled;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> VT-d -> disabled;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Above 4G Decoding -> Disabled;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Primary Display -> PCIE;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> iGPU Multimonitor -> Enabled;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 128M;

PCH-FW Configuration -> Intel Platform Trust Technology -> Disabled;

Onboard Devices Configuration -> HD Audio -> Enabled

Onboard Devices Configuration -> USB power delivery in Soft Off state -> Enabled;

Onboard Devices Configuration -> Serial Port Configuration -> Serial Port 1 -> OFF;

APM Configuration -> ErP Ready -> Enabled (S5);

USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support -> Enabled;

USB Configuration -> XHCI Hand-off -> Enabled;

Network Stack Configuration -> Network Stack -> Disabled;

Boot -> Boot Configuration -> Fast Boot -> Disabled;

Boot -> Boot Configuration -> POST Delay Time -> 5 sec;

Boot -> CSM Module -> Disabled;

Boot -> Secure Boot -> OS Type -> Other OS

You can see which BIOS version you have entering the BIOS, the main page shows you the version (upper left)

I have read that some Samsung SSDs could be problematic.

I've read some other posts from you. If you think having weird RAM, try to enable MEMOK from the motherboard, (There's a switch somewhere. Please refer to the manual.)
Anyway you should be able to set the RAM to XMP I

These are my BIO settings:

AI Tweaker -> Ai Overclock Tuner -> XMP 1;

CPU Configuration -> Intel Virtualization Technology -> Disabled;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> VT-d -> disabled;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Above 4G Decoding -> Disabled;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Primary Display -> PCIE;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> iGPU Multimonitor -> Enabled;

System Agent (SA) Configuration -> DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 128M;

PCH-FW Configuration -> Intel Platform Trust Technology -> Disabled;

Onboard Devices Configuration -> HD Audio -> Enabled

Onboard Devices Configuration -> USB power delivery in Soft Off state -> Enabled;

Onboard Devices Configuration -> Serial Port Configuration -> Serial Port 1 -> OFF;

APM Configuration -> ErP Ready -> Enabled (S5);

USB Configuration -> Legacy USB Support -> Enabled;

USB Configuration -> XHCI Hand-off -> Enabled;

Network Stack Configuration -> Network Stack -> Disabled;

Boot -> Boot Configuration -> Fast Boot -> Disabled;

Boot -> Boot Configuration -> POST Delay Time -> 5 sec;

Boot -> CSM Module -> Disabled;

Boot -> Secure Boot -> OS Type -> Other OS

IGPU Multi monitor prevents my computer from booting somehow. i have have matched all other bios settings, i am on the latest bios update 2606 and i am using your EFI folder. xmp 1 works fine because i changed ram a week ago. The two issues are still:

*(Appleusbxhci unsupported speed mantissa), and *waiting on <dict id=0 .... etc.).

seems like the usb port kext isnt working or something like that. im a using a usb 3.0 thumstick could that also cause issues?

Ty for being so kind and helping me.

Attachments

• 83995716_462399887771615_891366921222488064_n.jpg
    83995716_462399887771615_891366921222488064_n.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 129
@gustavlykke1, for sure if you try to use a 3.0 USB port you'll be in trouble. Also, not all pen drives are working well for the installation (I used a 16Gb Kingston DataTraveler USB 3.0 plugged into an USB 2.0 port).
Our mobo has no USB 2.0 ports onboard, but you can add them as showed in the manual
Moreover, you have a CPU and a graphic card different from mine, I don't know how much that could impact on your installation.
Here attached there's the first EFI and config.plist with which I've managed to start the Mojave installation, AND reach the end of the installation with no freezes. It contains some ACPI and USB patches, no DSDT, and an USBPorts.kext.
You should try to change your USB EFI content with that.
If you can complete the installation, you'll have a working hackintosh with some bugs, but it will be a good starting point for fine-tune your machine :)
Let me know if that works ^__^

USB 2 Z390-P.jpg

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 232
IGPU Multi monitor prevents my computer from booting somehow. i have have matched all other bios settings, i am on the latest bios update 2606 and i am using your EFI folder. xmp 1 works fine because i changed ram a week ago. The two issues are still:

*(Appleusbxhci unsupported speed mantissa), and *waiting on <dict id=0 .... etc.).

seems like the usb port kext isnt working or something like that. im a using a usb 3.0 thumstick could that also cause issues?

Ty for being so kind and helping me.

Hurrah!! I fixed it myself by disabling all the USB ports I wasn't gonna use,.

I booted and installed macOS on my SSD. and only need the post install section and Ethernet work around now :) will try to do that in the coming days. Thanks again <3

If you need help write :)

HI,
We looking at building our 3rd Hackintosh using all the sames specs. Will the efi work on a Catalina install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back