Contribute
Register

SUCCESS: Asus prime Z370-A MK II + i5-9600K + Sapphire Pulse RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
ProperTree does not search online for available kexts, and their updates, but with its snapshot feature, it will scan your OC folder, and compare the kexts present to the entries in config.plist. If there are any kexts that are present in OC/KEXTS, but do not have an entry in config.plist, ProperTree will automatically create an entry for them, as to ensure they are loaded. To update kexts, the easiest way is to use hackintool.
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 5.57.49 PM.png
From the above screenshot, all kexts present in my EFI folder are up-to-date. When outdated, the highlight around the kext name will be red. To grab the latest version, simply check off each kext you wish to update, and click download; this will create a desktop folder called Hackintool_Kexts. Once downloaded, it is simply a matter of mounting your EFI partition, and placing the kexts in the correct location. Updating kexts won't require you to re add their entry in your OC config, as the name is probably still the same. Hackintool has a graphical interface for mounting EFI partitions, and by extension, eliminating the need for clover configurator (if that's the only thing you're using it for).
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.09.15 PM.png
In the event hackintool's kext updater falls behind, each kext name under the required kexts section contains an embedded link that'll take you to the releases section of the original developer's github page for said kext.

I plan to add a significant amount of additional OC information, as there seems to be a lot of demand for it, as well as some extra information about ACPI. Of course, the clover section isn't going away anytime soon, but I plan on overhauling the folder, as to trim out any unnecessary config options (especially those which do not have a direct OC equivalent). All updates will of course be reflected in the main thread, as I don't want to have the comments section of this thread turn into a series of bumps.

Hope this helped!

Oh, I notice you have a fake EC. I was looking into this as the OEM DSDT has both a Device (H_EC) and Device (EC0). H_EC is returning zero, but there is an EC0 that appears active, which leads me to believe a fake EC SSDT is not needed. Not finding a lot of info on this, but on my setup I didn't put a fake EC, simply renamed EC0 to EC, and things seems to be fine... unless I'm messing something up under the hood :silent:

@squirrelzone
Excellent build!
As for using a fake EC, I chose this option over a standard rename due to issues with AppleACPIEC. While this is needed for laptops, it is not compatible with desktop builds, and as such, you don't want it to load. For this motherboard, AppleACPIEC attaches to EC0 (even when renamed to EC). The variant of SSDT-EC I used for this build serves to main purposes.
  • Creates the necessary fake EC device
  • Ensures that the ACPI device EC0 is not initialized by macOS
That last part is key, as AppleACPIEC would still attach itself to EC0 if it were to be initialized by macOS. I know I'm missing a lot of details, but the issues concerning EC on hackintoshes is something that really deserves its own dedicated thread.

@squirrelzone of course!
I'm kind of surprised that most general purpose install guides don't mention anything about the EC device until USB mapping.

Hi Aldaro. I have a very similar build: Asus Prime Z370-A (1st) + i5 9600K + 32GB RAM + RX 560.

Are you able to use USB 3.1 gen2 at full speed?
Plus, are the onboard usb ports activated?

Do you think that if I use your OC folder I would have any problem?
What are the big differencies that you are experiencing between Clover and OC ?

Many thanks

Last edited:
My OC folder should work very well for your build; however, I recently noticed that my 3.1 gen 2 ports are only running at gen 1 speeds (5 Gbps). The biggest difference I've noticed with OC over clover is OC's better handling of optical drives. With clover, if the optical drive gets "spun down" by macOS (i.e it puts it in the same power saving state as it would a SATA hard drive) the system will lock up. From what I've gathered, this is a general issue with Catalina overall, as support for SATA optical drives has been significantly reduced now that the Mac Pro 5,1 is no longer supported. As for the ASMedia USB controller, I will look into what caused the speeds to be reduced, and I will provide an update once that problem has been resolved.

Many thanks for the quick reply :)
I didn't notice any problem with my DVD-BR player (it eventually spinned every 10mins, but now it's not doing it anymore).

So, I just have to switch the EFI folder in my EFI partition and cross fingers :lol:

Yeah, I don't have any Gen2 peripheral in order to try. It's just that is labeled as 5Gbps ( my note 10+ even goes at 480mbps on all USBs ) so I won't be able to see the difference if I manage to get them recognized as Gen2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back