Contribute
Register

[Success] ASUS Prime Z370-A+i9-9900k Pro Audio Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice guide and build! Im looking to buy almost the same hardware, i8700k, 580 nitro 4gb, and same motherboard. Im gonna be using it with TB3 and audio cards. I see you have a wifi card, but no bluetooth? Wondering about airdrop and hand-off, does it work on your hackintosh?

The BRCM4331 is out of an iMac and has Bluetooth :) Everything works!

I'd do some double checking on the Nitro and make sure it works easily. I know the Sapphire is completely native and at this point Whatevergreen automatically handles all you need with it in an iGPU setup.

The thunderbolt portion can be a pain so let me know if I can help along the way. I don't have Hotplug working but I did find a way to be able to restart and reconnect my Apollo instead of the old "unplug, power, replug" nightmare.

Also I suggest the Prime 370a II. It'll give you enough power to run a 9900k or a more hungry processor in the future.

Im actually running a Zen Studio USB and my Apollo now. Flawless and fast.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have ordered this Fenvi card: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33031773766.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.12104c4d7T7zqq - I have built two hackintoshes before and they have worked great but it has taken some time to figure out, I want to build something that is tested by others and works! Maybe I will go for the z390 Designare motherboard instead, which has TB3 built in - its more expensive but when you say that you have had "trouble" with the TB3.... My graphic card is Sapphire Radeon RX580 4gb nitro. Im just looking for the "best" and most easy to install motherboard that will give me TB3.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have ordered this Fenvi card: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33031773766.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.12104c4d7T7zqq - I have built two hackintoshes before and they have worked great but it has taken some time to figure out, I want to build something that is tested by others and works! Maybe I will go for the z390 Designare motherboard instead, which has TB3 built in - its more expensive but when you say that you have had "trouble" with the TB3.... My graphic card is Sapphire Radeon RX580 4gb nitro. Im just looking for the "best" and most easy to install motherboard that will give me TB3.

Totally understood. Congrats on the builds, it's so freaking fun right? And working in Pro Audio without computer restrictions (or fewer) is a great experience.

My build is super simplified which has been my goal over the last year. No Rename patches, all power management (EC, X86, AGPM). Moving to Open Core has helped me get it even further simplified. Still not sure which I prefer; Clover or OC.

I like the 370 myself but I think you're right on Z390 Designware. If you want to go that route I suggest checking out @CaseySJ's guide on his. He's done a ton of testing and helping others myself include.

As for the Thunderbolt, it's actually quite easy now. There are two patches (DTPG.aml + SSDT Hotplug.aml), and you're good to go. The only tricky part is you might have to update the firmware for the card via Windows. Also you've got to turn on the Thunderbolt device then power on the computer. If you don't see you need to shut down and unplug your computer until the power drains (usually when the lights inside turn off around 15 seconds) then turn on the TB device then plug in computer then turn on. That took so long to figure out. I don't have to do that anymore though, phew.

A note on the M.2 drives. The Intel 660p works great as a session drive but I'm not sure about it for the OS. Very affordable though. Recommend whatever is most talked about like a Samsung.

Yes it is fun, when it works! M.2 drives - some say its best to go for a regular SSD drive for OS - why? Wouldnt it be faster with a NVMe / M.2 drive? Why are you not sure about it? Also, you say TB3 is easy, but you can´t hotplug on you´re machine?

Oh it's definitely faster. The 660p uses a different tech involving a cache and when you go over it it throttles. In the case of a session drive I don't see any negative effects and I'm almost doubtful I would as an OS really. Check out this video on it and maybe you can get a better understanding than me.

Definitely go with one or two!!!

The hardest part is knowing when you've got a good setup and leaving it alone. I can't stop tinkering.

Hello.
I used your EFI, but could not install the system, stuck in +++++++++++++. Can I get a BIOS version and related settings? I am using 8700K and UHD 630.

Hello.
I used your EFI, but could not install the system, stuck in +++++++++++++. Can I get a BIOS version and related settings? I am using 8700K and UHD 630.

We have two different motherboards, therefore different BIOS. However I found this. Should be good to go with this EFI and guide.

Oh,Sorry, I am installing macOS on Asus Z370-A +8700K. I will update my information.

Not a problem.

Try this. I generated a complete SMBIOS for you and removed my devices. Likely part of the issue.

New EFI attached.

Attachments

• Clover EFI-2.zip
    18.1 MB · Views: 306
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back