Contribute
Register

[Success] ASUS Prime Z370-A+i9-9900k Pro Audio Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which BIOS version are you on and do you have a rev. 1 or 2 card? Maybe this makes a difference? I'm totally stumped. And obsessed. Thank you for all of your help so far, truly.
I'm on the current BIOS, and I believe this is a rev A card but could be wrong. I don't think it should matter though.

Do you have a spare drive you can do a clean install of macOS on?

I'm on the current BIOS, and I believe this is a rev A card but could be wrong. I dont think it should matter though.

Do you have a spare drive you can do a clean install of macOS on?

Son of a gun - Windows reinstall did it.

I had previously installed Windows after OpenCore, but I had kept the OC HDD plugged in. Windows created a Microsoft folder that it stuck in my EFI folder. Without that folder I couldn't boot Windows. But I am nearly positive it was conflicting with my OC EFI (it had to have - it was in the same EFI Folder...). Hence the ACPI error message when I applied your patches. And when I had applied your patches, I hadn't added back the Microsoft folder (which I thought was put there by OC).

In short - if you are multi-booting with Windows on a separate HDD - I strongly, strongly recommend disconnecting the OC/Clover Drive (honestly I'd disconnect all other drives). Maybe this is common knowledge, but it sure would have saved me some headaches.

Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: I don't have enough posts to message you, but if you have music out there, would love to hear/support. Can't thank you enough.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.38.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.38.10 PM.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 41
Son of a gun - Windows reinstall did it.

I had previously installed Windows after OpenCore, but I had kept the OC HDD plugged in. Windows created a Microsoft folder that it stuck in my EFI folder. Without that folder I couldn't boot Windows. But I am nearly positive it was conflicting with my OC EFI (it had to have - it was in the same EFI Folder...). Hence the ACPI error message when I applied your patches. And when I had applied your patches, I hadn't added back the Microsoft folder (which I thought was put there by OC).

In short - if you are multi-booting with Windows on a separate HDD - I strongly, strongly recommend disconnecting the OC/Clover Drive (honestly I'd disconnect all other drives). Maybe this is common knowledge, but it sure would have saved me some headaches.

Thanks again for your help!
Man excellent to know! Sorry I wasn't much help. I'll keep this in mind for my machine!

Man excellent to know! Sorry I wasn't much help. I'll keep this in mind for my machine!

Update: I am getting a "acpi_bios_error" when I try to boot Windows from OC. However when I return to OSX, Thunderbolt is still working.

But now something very interesting is happening. I booted to Windows from BIOS and the UAD Twin connects, but the Thunderbolt control panel does not show any device is connected. I do a full shutdown (unplugged for 15 seconds) and return to OSX.

Thunderbolt no longer recognized.

So something is happening when Windows boots once Thunderbolt is recognized in OSX. It's somehow changing the way the card works. Not sure where even to start with this, but I would imagine it's something in the BIOS. It seems Windows is seizing control of the card at an early stage.

I'm going to uninstall/reinstall TB on Windows and see what happens.

Update: I am getting a "acpi_bios_error" when I try to boot Windows from OC. However when I return to OSX, Thunderbolt is still working.

But now something very interesting is happening. I booted to Windows from BIOS and the UAD Twin connects, but the Thunderbolt control panel does not show any device is connected. I do a full shutdown (unplugged for 15 seconds) and return to OSX.

Thunderbolt no longer recognized.

So something is happening when Windows boots once Thunderbolt is recognized in OSX. It's somehow changing the way the card works. Not sure where even to start with this, but I would imagine it's something in the BIOS. It seems Windows is seizing control of the card at an early stage.

I'm going to uninstall/reinstall TB on Windows and see what happens.

Right. So if I'm reading this right.

You can cold boot to Windows from BIOS and Thunderbolt works fine.

You can cold boot to macOS from OC and Thunderbolt works fine.

You cannot go from macOS to Windows or vice versa and retain Thunderbolt.

Right. So if I'm reading this right.

You can cold boot to Windows from BIOS and Thunderbolt works fine.

You can cold boot to macOS from OC and Thunderbolt works fine.

You cannot go from macOS to Windows or vice versa and retain Thunderbolt.

Cold booting to Windows from BIOS AFTER getting full TB functionality in macOS results in Thunderbolt not being fully recognized in Windows.

Once TB is not recognized in Windows, it's not recognized in macOS either.

macOS in some way is dependent on Windows properly configuring and recognizing TB.

I uninstalled the TB drivers in Windows and the UAD still connects and works in what I assume is some kind of PCI functionality. So now I am going to troubleshoot this on the Windows side and see if I can regain TB3 functionality and see if that translates over to macOS. I have a hunch that it does.

Cold booting to Windows from BIOS AFTER getting full TB functionality in macOS results in Thunderbolt not being fully recognized in Windows.

macOS in some way is dependent on Windows properly configuring and recognizing TB.

I uninstalled the TB drivers in Windows and the UAD still connects and works in what I assume is some kind of PCI functionality. So now I am going to troubleshoot this on the Windows side and see if I can regain TB3 functionality and see if that translates over to macOS. I have a hunch that it does.
God speed. I do think theres something more to it too.

I've noticed that if I boot into macOS with the patches and SSDT on then of course I have a beautiful full Thunderbolt Bus including the correct device names (DSB1, DSB4, etc...). On that same boot, if I disable all patches and SSDT, then restart, I will have the full thunderbolt bus but the names will be wrong because the SSDT isn't there.

So whatever is going on is staying in tact during reboots and therefore a boot into windows from macOS would trip it up. Also, inversely.

In fact, before this was all dialed in we needed to boot to windows first then warm boot to macOS.

There's a BIOS feature that I need to investigate that deals with enumeration and has a timer. I’m going to do a few tests to see if I can find the magic number for how long it takes to reset the TB controller fully on a warm boot.

Ok so here's what I think you should try.

Well, first, replace your ACPI with the ones attached here. Some of mine were missing OSI methods. I'll update the EFI on the guide after 067.

1) Cold boot into macOS and confirm Thunderbolt has loaded.

2) Warm boot to OC boot menu, press spacebar, reset NVRAM. Boot Windows (from OC if possible, if not bios is fine). Confirm that Thunderbolt is working in Windows.

3) Warm boot from there to OC boot menu, reset NVRAM, boot into macOS and confirm Thunderbolt there.

Attachments

• ACPI.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 49
Ok so here's what I think you should try.

Well, first, replace your ACPI with the ones attached here. Some of mine were missing OSI methods. I'll update the EFI on the guide after 067.

1) Cold boot into macOS and confirm Thunderbolt has loaded.

2) Warm boot to OC boot menu, press spacebar, reset NVRAM. Boot Windows (from OC if possible, if not bios is fine). Confirm that Thunderbolt is working in Windows.

3) Warm boot from there to OC boot menu, reset NVRAM, boot into macOS and confirm Thunderbolt there.

Unfortunately cold-booting into macOS with your updated ACPIs does not result in Thunderbolt being recognized.

Unfortunately cold-booting into macOS with your updated ACPIs does not result in Thunderbolt being recognized.
Those were more so just an update.

So, how are you getting back to working Thunderbolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back