Contribute
Register

[Success] Asus P5E WS Professional (X38 chipset)

Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
151
Motherboard
ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Edit 2: I have to dump this setup due to changing the graphics card and start from scratch. A new write up is here.


Edit: This graphics card appears to suffer from the Fermi issue covered here. I am still trying to figure out a solution.

The Asus P5E WS Professional is an older board with an X38 chipset, but it is still going strong, so I wanted to upgrade the OS.

I have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti and a 2.84 GHz Quad Core CPU.

The fist step was to buy Mountain Lion via my 15" MacBook Pro (retina display no less - the best computer I have ever used).

The second step was to put a work horse drive in my system (I have two hot swap bays so, I used one of them, regardless of what you use, do not do the install onto your working drive).

Once you own ML, use Unibeast to make a bootable install USB flash drive and follow the instructions (from your current 10.7 install or some other mac you have access to). To boot, I had to interrupt the boot process and instruct the system to boot with PCIRootUID=0.

After the system was up and running, I was able to boot into it using the Unibeast flash drive. I had downloaded everything else needed onto another flash drive and did the install as noted:

On first boot I used Carbon Copy cloner to clone the new system to another work drive so I could try different combinations of kexts without having to repair or reinstall if things went wrong.

After making a backup of the install, I used Multibeast and selected only User DSDT as I had a DSDT from my 10.72 build. Note that this ultimately failed and I ended up not using my prior DSDT, so read on if you don't have one. I also selected FakeSMC and 3rd Party SATA. Rebooted.

This installed the boot loader and the drive/partition could boot on its own, with the PCIRootUID argument.

Next I installed Kext Wizard, which I have found is a great tool.

Using Kext Wizard, I installed kexts for the Marvel Ukon Ethernet ports. Rebooted.

I then ran Multibeast again and installed a patched AppleHDA for the Realtek888 codec. You must select

1. Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx//Patched AppleHDA/ALC888_v100202
2. Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts & Enablers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/Non-DSDT HDAEnabler/ALC888
3. As the instructions state, always select: System Utilities

Since you are not using a DSDT at this point, you need the patched AppleHDA and the Enabler, you do not need the rollback. (NOTE: you need to understand what you are doing here...you are loading the patched AppleHDA to work with your audio chipset/codec and you are using an enabler for it as you are not using a DSDS. Don't simply pick random versions of the various ways to get ALC888 working. If you are using a DSDT, you do not need the enabler).

Rebooted...(I tested each kext to make certain I did not need to back out of the install).

I did not install the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Multibeast, but had one from here. I assume they are the same.

I then used migration assistant to move my applications and user accounts from my existing 10.7.2 drive to the new 10.8 drive. This overwrote my patched AppleHDA and I had to reinstall it.

The system works as expected (as well as 10.7.2), has full access to iCloud and the App Store. I hope to get another year out of this rig!

I will run it for a few days and if satisfied use carbon copy cloner to copy this working system back to my boot SSD (my user directories are on an independent drive so I am only dealing with OS and Applications).
 
Top