[Success] Asus Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K with working iMessage and FaceTime

Discussion in 'High Sierra Desktop Guides' started by subbame, Sep 20, 2017.

1. subbame

subbame

CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790K
    Sep 20, 2017 at 5:49 PM #1
    subbame

subbame

CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790K
    I am sorry about my English as I am bad in English. I am a freelance developer and I have been using my hackintosh for all my coding works. I did not have any issue. Since I have learned so many things from tonymacx86 forum so I finally decided to write a tutorial that might help someone. If you have any questions make sure to leave them in the thread. I will try to reply as much as I can.

I have never touched a real macOS device so I had to start from Virtual macOS. Now I always have one dedicated USB with all the installation files ready if I need it anytime. I am planning to do a tutorial on how to do it using a Virtual Machine but due to my English and writing skills, I have not started.

What is working:

1. Ethernet
    2. Facetime and iMessage
    2. HDMI (I have monitor connected via HDMI port and it has speakers), Front Panel and Back panel Audio
    3. All US 2 and 3 (Front and Back) ports. I have 1 Mouse, 1 Keyboard, 1 External 3.0 hard drive, 1 TP link Wifi adaptor and 1 HP printer are connected all the time. I did not have any issue so far.
    4. No issue with Sleep and Wake.
    5. I also have two 1tb each internal hard drive, one 128GB SSD (Where macOS High Sierra is installed) and two 500GB disks attached to the motherboard.

My System Configuration:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
    Ram: 2 x 8GB Corsair

Preparation:

Since I already had macOS Sierra installed and working I just downloaded the High Sierra by enrolling as a developer. Once downloaded I formatted a 16GB USB device using Disk Utility. I set the name of the volume as USB, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as format and GUID Partition Map Scheme.

Download the latest version of clover bootloader from https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/ and Clover Configurator from http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/ (I always use Classic Edition, not Vibrant Edition but not sure what is the difference between the two editions)

Download only the required Kext files. I downloaded AppleIntelE1000e and
    FakeSMC from https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/kexts.11/ and do not forget to download KextBeast from https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-1.310/ as this is required to install Kext files post installation.

Post Installation files:
    Once everything is downloaded copy FakeSMC, AppleIntelE1000e, clover bootloader, Clover Configurator and KextBeast to a separate Hard Drive or USB device that you can access after installation. Do not connect to the internet after installation as this can cause an issue with iMessage and FaceTime activation.

Once everything is ready as mentioned above disconnect internet completely and make sure that your machine does not make any connection to Apple server during installation and post-installation without completing the steps below and assigning proper serial and GUID. You should only create a local user during install.

Copy High Sierra to USB:
    I copied the High Sierra installation files using below command. Please do not copy the command and past it to TextEdit and to the terminal. TextEdit will mess up the format. You need to either directly past to the terminal or use a text editor like Sublime Text. It will take 2 to 5 minutes to complete the copying.
    Code (Text):
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction
    Once everything has been copied run clover bootloader and change the installation location to the USB and under customize select Install for UEFI booting only and under Driver64UEFI select OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 and hit install.

Once the bootloader is installed to USB go to EFF partition of the USB and from inside Clover directory open config.plist with Clover Configurator. If you don't see the EFI partition, mount it with Clover Configurator. Please note that no other EFI partition should be mounted or config.plist is open at this time.

In clover configurator, go to ACPI and uncheck all the fixes in both 1 and 2 pages and also uncheck Generate PStates and Generate CStates

In devices, section uncheck Inject, AddClockID under USB and under Audio ResetHDA

In GUI page you can set Screen Resolution to match your monitor resolution so you can see the entire error during boot.

Under Graphics page set ig-platformid to 0x0d220003

In Kernal and Kext Patches select only Apple RTC

In RT Variables set ROM to UseMacAddr0 , MLB should be empty, Booter Config to 0x28 and CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 .

In SMBIOS select iMac15,1 or MacPro6,1 by clicking up down arrow icon. This will auto-generate all the details but still click Generate New button under Serial Number. Once the new serial number is generated go to http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/ and do a lookup of the newly generated serial number. If the serial is valid you should see something like below.
    [​IMG]

Now go to https://checkcoverage.apple.com and do the lookup for the same serial number. If you see a message that says "We’re sorry, but this serial number isn’t valid. Please check your information and try again." (screenshot of the message below) then you are good to go. Please do not use a serial number that is active and currently in use. I am sure you don't like if your wife is sleeping with someone else. This is same as using someone's serial number. You will also not be able to activate iMessage and FaceTime. The device also becomes dormant in your apple account as soon as you add iCloud account. Which means you will have to wait up to 90 days to remove the device from your account if you are lucky or if you are unlucky you cannot remove the device.
    [​IMG]

If https://checkcoverage.apple.com says the serial is valid and exist then re-generate the serial from Clover Configurator and if http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/ says the serial is invalid then also generate a new one.

Once you are ready with the serial save the config.plist file and make a copy of it and place it on the hard drive or USB where you have saved all the files for Post Installation. Also copy FakeSMC and AppleIntelE1000e to USB EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other directory.

Now open a finder and from Application right-click the macOS High Sierra and Show Package Contents and navigate to Contents/SharedSupport/ and double-click BaseSystem.dmg file. It should mount OSX Base System. Inside it go to usr/standalone/i386/ and copy apfs.efi file to your USB installation and place it in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ directory.
    [​IMG]

Now reboot your system and keep pressing Delete key until you reach Bios setup. In bios setup go to Exit menu and select "Load Optimized Defaults" option and hit enter. Now click Save Changes and Reset. This should reboot your PC and again keep pressing Delete button until you reach Biso Setup. Now go to Boot option menu and select Secure Boot and hit enter and set Windows EFI to Other OS.

Again save and exit the bios and restart the machine. Keep pressing Delete key and go to Boot options menu and under Overwrite Boot select the EFI partition of USB and hit enter. Now it should take you to Clover Bootloader menu. Here select the Install High Sierra Beta and hit enter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the tricky part is that I kept getting AppleHDA(Something) and AppleIntelCPU(Something) timeout error message. I was not worried about the error message as it was not a kernel panic. I did not do anything and just waited for almost 30 minutes. Finally, it loaded the installer. Also if you get kernal panic or taking more than 30 minutes to load the installer reboot the PC and go to Bios setup and select the EFI partition of the existing install from Overwrite Boot option and hit enter. When you reach Clover Boot Menu select the External USB Drive and hit enter.

Make sure to format the disk as APFS where you want to install it.

During the install, it will reboot for 2 to 3 times and you should be there to hit Delete key and enter BIOS setup and select the preferred EFI partition. You should also note that you will need to select Install macOS High Sierra from the internal drive during normal install reboot.

Once the installation process is completed and you are logged into the system eject the USB and remove it. Now run once again run the clover bootloader and select macOS hard drive as location. Under customize, option select save options as we did before. Since we selected macOS hard drive as installation destination we need to move EFI directory from root of macOS and move it to it's own EFI partition. You will have to mount the EFI partition using Clover Configurator.

Now copy all mandatory Kext files from Post Installation device to desktop and run Kest Beast which will install them. Also, replace config.plist of EFI partition with the one that we had made a copy to Post Installation.

Now reboot your brand new macOS using the installed EFI. After successful bootup mount EFI partition and open config.plist file with Clover Configurator. Now open the terminal and run uuidgen command several times which will generate unique UUID. Copy any one of the generated code and past it in SmUUID field that is under SMBIOS in Clover Configurator.

[​IMG]

Reboot the system.

Now delete some directories and files of Cache and Preference as mentioned at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/ and reboot the system.

I normally do not connect my apple account at very first. I usually wait few hours. Restart the system several times. Also, avoid connecting any USB device or addition hard drive that has Clover Bootloader in it as I noticed that several times my system booted from the duplicate EFI partition even when I had set boot device to the correct one in BIOS. This can cause issues.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wenquanlion and Brachiator like this.
  2. hpsychedelic

hpsychedelic

Mobo:
    GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
    CPU:
    i7 4790k
    Graphics:
    GTX 1080ti SC2
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Sep 23, 2017 at 1:20 AM #2
    hpsychedelic

hpsychedelic

Mobo:
    GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
    CPU:
    i7 4790k
    Graphics:
    GTX 1080ti SC2
    Mac:
    MacBook Air
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Nice to see it working on a 4790k, will try mine soon.
    Question did you install on top of Sierra or was it a clean install?
    Also AFPS? I would stay away from it on hacks per PikerAlpha's post and comments.

3. subbame

subbame

CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790K
    Sep 23, 2017 at 4:00 PM #3
    subbame

subbame

CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4790K
  4. Jonnyrock

Jonnyrock

Mobo:
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT
    CPU:
    Core i5-4690K
    Graphics:
    ASUS GTX 970 DC Mini
    Sep 27, 2017 at 2:52 PM #4
    Jonnyrock

Jonnyrock

Mobo:
    ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT
    CPU:
    Core i5-4690K
    Graphics:
    ASUS GTX 970 DC Mini
    Is WIFI or bluetooth working?

5. daranto

daranto

Mobo:
    Asus Maximus Hero Vii
    CPU:
    I7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Geforce 1070
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Oct 3, 2017 at 1:51 AM #5
    daranto

daranto

Mobo:
    Asus Maximus Hero Vii
    CPU:
    I7-4790k
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Geforce 1070
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Hello,
    I followed your Guide and I could install High Sierra on my SSD. Can you please explain me, how I get the sound working? I have the same Motherboard. So the sound card should be 1150.

Thanks!

Daranto

6. blazinsmokey

blazinsmokey

Mobo:
    Maximus VII Hero, 4790k, 32GB 1866MHz, MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Graphics:
    XPS 9560, FHD, 7700HQ, 16GB 2400MHz, 512GB Samsung PM961
    Oct 3, 2017 at 4:10 AM #6
    blazinsmokey

blazinsmokey

Mobo:
    Graphics:
  7. drutyper

drutyper

Mobo:
    Windows/Mac
    CPU:
    i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    GTX 970
    Oct 3, 2017 at 10:59 AM #7
    drutyper

drutyper

Mobo:
    Windows/Mac
    CPU:
    i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    GTX 970
    I was able to install High Sierra properly but the EFI partition has me puzzled. I can't boot from the EFI partition even though its mounted.

I'm stuck here trying to figure out how to properly set up EFI to boot when I pick it in the BIOS. When I do boot from that drive, I only see my windows drives, the newly installed OSX drive does not appear in the bootloader.

The only way to boot it properly is from the USB

8. blazinsmokey

blazinsmokey

Mobo:
    Graphics:
    Oct 3, 2017 at 11:03 AM #8
    blazinsmokey

blazinsmokey

Mobo:
    Graphics:
    Do you have the apfs driver installed in clover on the drive?

9. drutyper

drutyper

Mobo:
    Windows/Mac
    CPU:
    i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    GTX 970
    Oct 3, 2017 at 11:19 AM #9
    drutyper

drutyper

Mobo:
    Windows/Mac
    CPU:
    i7-4790k
    Graphics:
    GTX 970
    How do I know if I have that installed or where is it located?

10. blazinsmokey

blazinsmokey

Mobo:
    Graphics:
    Oct 3, 2017 at 11:30 AM #10
    blazinsmokey

blazinsmokey

Mobo:
    Graphics:
    It's brought up in the guide as well as this page and plenty of places. Search apfs and you'll see.