Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Introduction
When building my PC a few years ago, it had never crossed my mind that I would be using it as a hackintosh. Yet here we are, with a system that works on El Capitan 10.11.2 as if it was made for it.

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 05.49.13.png

Components
As they are far from new, I doubt most of them will still be in production, so no links will be included. (I would also recommend buying newer, more energy efficient components, which will probably be better value for money also.)

Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Processor: Intel i5 3570k
RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance and 8gb G.skill RipjawsX
Graphics: 2gb Nvidia GTX 670 FTW Edition
SSDs: 120gb Kingston (for El Capitan) and 256gb OCZ Vertex 4 (for Windows)

I won’t list the other parts (case, PSU, cooler, monitor etc.) as they are of little importance to the OS, and I wouldn’t recommend them. (Also, they are really a matter of personal preference.)

Z68 Extreme4 Gen3(L3).jpg

Comments
The CPU has been on a stable 4.4 GHz overlock (@ +0.080V core, along with numerous other voltage tweaks) for the majority of its lifetime, along with the RAM running at an increased 1866 MHz (@ 1.650V). The graphics card is overclocked out of the box, and doesn’t like being pushed any further. My monitor runs at 120 Hz, which makes animations and responsiveness in-game, as well as on the desktop, brilliant.

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 05.52.08.pngIMG_20151212_060157.jpg

Installation
I followed tonymacx86’s guide (featuring UniBeast and MultiBeast) entirely. The first time around, I was left without support for my GPU, ethernet, audio, and booting directly from my SSD.

You’d be correct in thinking that I slightly changed what I was doing.

To fix the issue with booting directly from my drive, I simply changed both UniBeast and MultiBeast settings to Legacy boot mode. For GPU issues, I disabled injecting graphics in both UniBeast and MultiBeast. Audio was fixed after reading this thread. Finally for ethernet, this person’s post fixed my issue.

IMG_20151212_0605052.png

Wrapping Up
We’re left with a system that runs in complete harmony with El Capitan. My GPU is detected as it should, audio works fine, SATA 3 works fine, sleep works fine, even my audio controls on my keyboard work fine (contrary to them not working at all in Windows 10).

This has been the first time that I’ve ever used a OS X for an extended period, let alone to build with one. I thank all of the guys at tonymacx86 for making this a reality!

Hi tonydale, you have modded your bios? I have your same mobo with bios v2.30 I need to mod for install mac os x? I have read about power management problem and I don't know how to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back