HIS 6850
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
6th's Build: [email protected] - Asrock Z68 Extreme4 GEN 3 - 8GB GSKILL RAM - HIS 6850

desktopkul.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K -> Amazon / Newegg

CPU Heatsink: Corsair H100 -> Amazon / Newegg

Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 -> Amazon / Newegg

Graphics: HIS 6850 -> Amazon / Newegg

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 1600Mhz DDR3 (8GB) -> Amazon / Newegg

Case: NZXT Phantom -> Amazon / Newegg

Power Supply: NZXT HALE90 -> Amazon / Newegg

Optical Drive: Pioneer CD/DVD 24x Burner -> Amazon / Newegg

Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB -> Amazon / Newegg

Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB x2 -> older drives which are not listed anymore

Apple OS X Lion @ Mac Apps Store
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-lion/id444303913?mt=12

Comments:

Disconnected all SATA drives minus the boot drive and set drive to AHCI. Utilized Unibeast to install Lion from a clean slate

MultiBeast provided all kexts minus the network kext for my Broadcom BCM57781 which can be found here
http://www.osx86.net/view/1883-broadcom ... _lion.html

The DSDT for the Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 was created utilizing MALdon's patches available from his forum. I have included the DSDT for this board linked below

http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/90465040/file.html

You may follow Samisnake's guide on how to create your own DSDT if you wish to do so.

Multibeast configuration

screenshot20120220at507.png

Note: Linked DSDT as an attachment if zippy share decides to remove it for whatever reason

HD3000 (optional)
Select "macmini" as your SMBIOS under system definitions in Multibeast and enable "onboard graphics" via UEFI. Double check to see if the "Graphics Enabler" string is present in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist via textedit. Which should look like this (this is to ensure you get full resolution supported by your monitor)

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

You should not have any discrete card present during boot or it will kernel panic. Ensure "onboard graphics" is enabled before turning it off and removing the discrete card from your system. Save your UEFI settings exit, turn off your system, remove the discrete card, plug in your HDMI or DVI to HDMI and you should be good to go.

screenshot20120319at119.jpg

To enable AirDrop input the following in terminal and enter

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

EDIT:

Updated Multibeast screenshot
Updated HD3000 notes

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    32 KB · Views: 391
Re: [SUCCESS] Asrock Extreme4 GEN3 * 2600k * ATI 6850

nice build. i really like that board.
the black and gold go really well together

you havent mentioned how you got around the power management issue.
did you use nullcpu, or speedstepper, or what?

samisnake said:
nice build. i really like that board.
the black and gold go really well together

you havent mentioned how you got around the power management issue.
did you use nullcpu, or speedstepper, or what?

Hello Samisnake, I'll be using Flaked's Speedstepper patch The verdict is still out if it's stable enough to use on 10.7.3 You can go ahead and try it out yourself and tell me how it is :D I had it working on my Asus G73 via 10.7.2 Although next week most likely i'll have sleep and what not working (it's currently disabled). I'm still doing testing in regards to using this system as a DAW. cheers

Note: Samisnake, Oh that was you that made that DSDT guide ! I was wondering "ive seen this guy before" very detailed guide thank you very mich

im not using speedstepper, i patched the bios instead.
you should add that info to the first post though, helps give a broader picture of what is needed to have a working system like yours.

really hope to see more people jumping on asrock boards for builds.
they really do make some great mobos

glad the guide helped

I have the same board and same video card. On Lion 10.7 (11a511), I followed the instructions and downloaded the kext. No luck here, only thing working right is XFX 5850 video. Networking is not working with Broadcom BCM57781 and link above. Above sound method does not work for me. What version of Lion do you have? Anyone out there have any hint? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Where did you get that version of Lion?

ntnher said:
I have the same board and same video card. On Lion 10.7 (11a511), I followed the instructions and downloaded the kext. No luck here, only thing working right is XFX 5850 video. Networking is not working with Broadcom BCM57781 and link above. Above sound method does not work for me. What version of Lion do you have? Anyone out there have any hint? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry I've been quite busy. I'm using 10.7.3 straight from the app store. My apologies for not responding sooner, but you will need to boot utilizing the 32 bit bootscreen (32 bit kernel) in order for networking to work and enable the device after reboot via the network pane in system preferences. In regards to audio, enable all 3 options under audio in multibeast and select ALC892. Make sure to repair permissions after running multibeast via system tools in multi beast. If you have trouble installing the kext for the broadcom try using Kext Wizard

Thank you very much OP! This guide really helped me get my ASrock Extreme Gen3 up and running fast!

Everything works now. Audio, Ethernet, Graphics, etc. Haven't tried sleep but don't really care for it anyway. Haven't tried the OSX sleep function yet either :lol:

OP would you mind posting your GeekBench benchmark results here? I'm curious what the difference that your [email protected] makes to my [email protected].

Here are my stats:
Intel i5-2500 @ 4.1 (no k)
ASrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
G-SKILL 16gb DDR3-1333 CAS 7-7-7-21
Nvidia GTS 250 1gb
Crucial SSD 6gbs 64gb & OSX 10.7.3

Overclocked i5 from 3.3 to 4.1 ; BCLK from 100mhz to 102mhz
GeekBench Score @ 64-bit SingleTest=11028; 64-bit StressTest peak=14468

(PS- I upgraded from an i5-750 2.6 OC to 3.2; Gigabyte P55mUD2; 10.6.8; GeekBench 8916)

I'm glad I could help someone, after countless bookmarks and reading I was able to make this mini success guide thanks to the hackintosh community. Thanks for adding the Asrock Z68 EX4 to the osx86 wiki. Hopefully one day Asrock will be added to Multibeast and what not.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back