Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

@mango1122 and for anyone else trying to get TB3 to work reliably.

I saw this post from @CaseySJ here and figured I'd give that SSDT a shot. Switched back to the original (NVM20) firmware using tbpatch and to my surprise, it has been working rather great. I'm testing with an OWC 12-port TB3 dock but the following works:
  • Hot Plug
  • Sleep & Wake
  • Cold Plug (plug in dock after the machine has booted)
BIOS is set to the recommended settings that can be found earlier in this thread. I do have GPIO3 Force Power set to "Enabled" in the BIOS.

No local/native Thunderbolt bus activation of course i.e. "No drivers" under Thunderbolt in System Report but the above was all I've been looking for since I got this setup.

Hope it helps. Curious to see others test and report back with results. Thanks as usual to @CaseySJ :)

@mango1122 and for anyone else trying to get TB3 to work reliably.

I saw this post from @CaseySJ here and figured I'd give that SSDT a shot. Switched back to the original (NVM20) firmware using tbpatch and to my surprise, it has been working rather great. I'm testing with an OWC 12-port TB3 dock but the following works:
  • Hot Plug
  • Sleep & Wake
  • Cold Plug (plug in dock after the machine has booted)
BIOS is set to the recommended settings that can be found earlier in this thread. I do have GPIO3 Force Power set to "Enabled" in the BIOS.

No local/native thunderbolt bus activation of course i.e. "No drivers" under Thunderbolt in System Report but the above was all I've been looking for since I got this setup.

Hope it helps. Curious to see others test and report back with results. Thanks as usual to @CaseySJ :)
Can you post a picture of IOReg file with RP21 and devices under it like UPSB, DSB0, NHI0

Can you post a picture of IOReg file with RP21 and devices under it like UPSB, DSB0, NHI0

Here you go. Let me know if this works.

TB3_11.png
TB3_22.png

Last edited:
Here you go. Let me know if this works.

View attachment 496283View attachment 496284

Thank you. From the pic it looks like you do not have native Thunderbolt support. With the SSDT the Thunderbolt device gets detected as a generic PCI bridge device and the devices get set up, enumerated, and show up on the bridge.

Now this works for most of us - however what is missing is "the matching of OSX's Thunderbolt controller drivers and along with it any power saving functionalities, cable detection, updating of device firmware, and compatibility with TB devices that require special drivers"

Most of us do not need this stuff and so if the SSDT works for you then great !

@mango1122 Thanks! Yes I saw this post here and figured as much. Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone haha!

I went to the HackinDROM website and selected ASRock Z370/390. Replaced RP05 w/RP21 for our ASRock Z390 board and, well, here are the results:

Cold Boot without Dock connected:

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 4.29.18 PM.png

With TB3 Dock connected:

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 4.29.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 4.29.51 PM.png

Looking better right?

Last edited:
IOReg shows that the Thunderbolt controller is properly configured but I guess the Thunderbolt properties would be empty, the PCI section would show the info. Thats one of the draw backs of using only the SSDT. (if I remember correctly, the SSDT only method breaks sleep - the PC does not sleep) - can you confirm if sleep works ok for your system.

IOReg shows that the Thunderbolt controller is properly configured but I guess the Thunderbolt properties would be empty, the PCI section would show the info. Thats one of the draw backs of using only the SSDT. (if I remember correctly, the SSDT only method breaks sleep - the PC does not sleep) - can you confirm if sleep works ok for your system.

Yes, even with this SSDT, System Report > Thunderbolt still says "No drivers". It shows up in the PCI section. However, sleep does work fwiw => macOS Big Sur 11.0.1

Does anyone know if this thread's solutions would also apply to Asrocks z370 itx boards?

Does anyone know if this thread's solutions would also apply to Asrocks z370 itx boards?
If your question is for activating the Thunderbolt node , the answer is yes - Both boards use the same TB controller.

Hi Guys; Am joining your thread and reading around....
I have an ASRock Z390 Extreme board BIOS 4.2 running for quite some time now on Mojave 10.14.6. Very stable and recently, because I have work with Universal Audio equipment, I purchased an Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC r2.0 card. Would somebody be willing to help me make it work ? I would really appreciate not having to redo my whole system again as I have so many projects running on it....

Back