Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

@mango1122 I see. I plan on running the same combination tests on the native firmware over the next few days. Curious to know your results!

QQ => Can I use tbpatch to flash back to the native firmware using the same patch.plist, but with the restore command?

You can use the tbpatch to flash between the native firmware and the modified firmware. Use this to patch the native firmware to a modified one. After flashing - don't forget to remove the SSDT, _E2C patch and add the TBROM-SSDT.
P.S - This is not a recommended method - keep a USB flasher handy in case something bad happens.

Attachments

• patch.plist
    2.1 KB · Views: 87
I can confirm that this has been happening to my machine too. After a period of time - it does not recognise the device connected to the TB port - but the devices themselves seem to work. I think this is one of the drawbacks of the SSDT method.
I'm beginning to suspect an actual hardware issue (not awful, just a design/implementation issue). Reason being is that I had lost TB connectivity and TB altogether even when loading into windows directly. It also happened in bios where my bootable SSD was not recognized in BIOS nor Clover. If it was simply an SSDT, this would only be an OS X issue.

A power down with discharge solved it immediately and then TB was recognized in BIOS, Windows and OS X again.

I'm beginning to suspect an actual hardware issue (not awful, just a design/implementation issue). Reason being is that I had lost TB connectivity and TB altogether even when loading into Windows directly. It also happened in bios where my bootable SSD was not recognized in BIOS nor Clover. If it was simply an SSDT, this would only be an OS X issue.

A power down with discharge solved it immediately and then TB was recognized in BIOS, Windows and OS X again.
No it’s a SSDT issue. Because you warm booted into windows you saw the same behavior. This is a documented behavior.

@mango1122 I see. I plan on running the same combination tests on the native firmware over the next few days. Curious to know your results!

QQ => Can I use tbpatch to flash back to the native firmware using the same patch.plist, but with the restore command?

So back on native firmware and the TB devices don’t connect after a sleep wake. Not very exciting news. I don’t suppose anyone has solved it yet.

No it’s a SSDT issue. Because you warm booted into windows you saw the same behaviour. This is a documented behaviour.
A cold boot (from powered down) directly into Windows when selecting my Windows NVMe drive from the UEFI boot loader produced the same TB issue.

So back on native firmware and the TB devices don’t connect after a sleep wake. Not very exciting news. I don’t suppose anyone has solved it yet.
Fwiw on native firmware NVM20, old skool not using the new SSDT, so long as I keep my TB device (UAD Satellite Octo via Apple TB3>TB2) powered on, its detected fine on sleep/wake.

I've noticed another issue with this SSDT. If I try to boot into Windows from OpenCore with this SSDT enabled I receive an ACPI error. If I boot into Windows from the Windows 10 boot loader there's no issue.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I'm using an older version of OpenCore.

The cause of this could be this - I have noticed that with the SSDT method, the System information under Thunderbolt shows - no device connected after a random amount of time. The TB dock connected to the port continues to work. Even the tbpatch command shows no device connected which makes me believe something is wrong.
Anyways I read through OSY's page on the Thunderbolt saga, and I realize that hardware patching method should deliver the best results. I am going to revert to that over the weekend and see how it goes. With that method - I would not be able to see any devices behind the dock after waking from sleep - lets see if that persists.

I do not see any TB3 connected under system report, but my TB3 audio interface is still working.

Even I'm back to the native firmware. For me though, TB just dies after sleep & wake (TB link status changes to 0xe00002eb from 0x07/0x01). This is with all the combinations of iGPU vs iGPU & DGPU. I switched back so I could use my 5700 XT w/o kernel panics. I'll have to give up sleep :( but even if I put the device to sleep, I can restart gracefully.

I'll give the SSDT only approach a try again in a few weeks. I'll post my experience over in the Designare thread. Maybe @CaseySJ and others will have some insights.

It would be good to find out if this SSDT-only approach works on the Z390 itx/ac as it might then work on the new Z490 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3...

@dgsga FWIW => The new Z490 board might have JHL7340 Thunderbolt 3 i.e. Titan Ridge controller. Will have to wait for the reviews but they're advertising it as 40gbps which is what they did with the X570 TB3 board (AMD) The X570 one has JHL7340.

Back