Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Upgraded. At last all running flawless, sleep-wake, USB-C, power control, no log errors, etc. Thanks...

Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 11.51.29.png

Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 13.46.36.png

Last edited:
I would recommend the following
0. Under Energy Saver - Tick only "Put HDD to sleep when possible" and nothing else.
1. Do a cold reboot > plug out the power - leave it for a few minutes and then start
2. On boot - do you see any error related to Thunderbolt in your logs. Use Hackintool to search for Thunderbolt - error related to DROM ?
3. What kind of device is connected to the TB port ? Can the system sleep/wake without the device ?
4. Do you have another TB device to test sleep/wake with ? I have a TS3 dock and it works perfectly. I even have my primary monitor connected to it, network cable and a bunch of USB devices and it works perfectly.
5. You may want to try with the GPU pulled out and iGPU only. With this config - I discovered that Framebuffer patch is not needed. Try with my EFI. Delete the device-properties entirely for the iGPU (in my config folder ) - cold reboot with iGPU only and then try sleep wake.

Unfortunately there's a thread on macrumors that talks about the same issues in a genuine Mac - you may want to read that "MBP 16" Catalina - TB panic report crash page"

TB3 settings as per my PIC earlier are good.

I was/am getting the error even without the TB3 device (OWC Thunderbolt Dock) connected. I disassembled the system this weekend and tried a few combinations. Results below:
Combination
Result
i9-9900K iGPU Only​
Success
i9-9900K + 5700XT​
Kernel Panic
i9-9900K + RX Vega 64​
Kernel Panic
i9-9900K + RX480​
Success

So looks like something in the AMD Vega/Navi drivers combined with either our board or TB3 that causes the KP. Polaris seems to be fine. I saw a few comments online (including the one you posted above) that said something similar but the cause of these panics seemingly varies a lot.

Such a strange one. I'm going to try a few more things. Hope this helps someone else going through the same issue(s). If there's anything else I should try, please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help!

@onmybikedrunk

Hi mate and community !

Could anyone have a look at my EFI?

1. problem with Kernal boot panics from time to time. 2 out 5 times I will get boot panic. I think it could be related to TB3 as I'm using a tb3 audio interface.

2. changed to iMacPro1,1 as jpeg was not working with preview.

3.BCM94352Z(DW1560) installed but not detected not sure if its the settings or a damaged chip, currently using TP Link dongle for WIFI no bluetooth atm, would love getting AIRPORT to work!

4. USB mouse not working in Clover Boot screen

Mojave 10.14.6 / Clover
Asrock Z390 phantom gaming
CPUi7-8700K
RX590 8gb

Would be grateful if anyone could give me some help & directions to fix the problems I have with this build. Pls let me know if you need additional info!

Many Many Thanks !

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    41 MB · Views: 211
Edit: Ignore this for now !

Last edited:
I thought my honeymoon was over! I booted OS X and got "no drivers" for my TB3. Oddly enough, I also wasn't able to control my keyboard and mouse anymore on boot up and the TB3 wasn't recognized in windows either.

Somehow my TB3 disappeared from my system altogether!

Turned off my PC and also turned off the surge protector and then hit the power button. This discharged the MB completely.

Turned back on and all is well again. Really odd this happened, but, glad it was a simple fix. It didn't make sense that I couldn't see anything plugged into the dock in any OS or bios. This helped alleviate my concern that is was an OS X issue.

Last edited:
Dear Guys,
I have been following this thread quietly from the first post. Today I have managed too to set up a working thunderbolt solution. I am using Clover, and following @candurin 's EFI and config settings finally TB is working. I hooked up a Lenovo TB3 hub - TB2 Apple adapter - Akitio TB2 external case with an Pcie UAD card - Motu TB2 audio interface + external USB 3.1 RAID case. If this lenghty chain works, I think everything should. It is used for audio production, you may imagine how grateful I am, so the last thing i could say is a big thank you for all of you.

@moronim Sorry, didn't see your request for me. I am using the OP BIOS settings, nothing out of the ordinary.

@hrzsolt Glad it worked! I can't take credit though, I think I have a combination of everyone else's EFI folders :)

I thought my honeymoon was over! I booted OS X and got "no drivers" for my TB3. Oddly enough, I also wasn't able to control my keyboard and mouse anymore on boot up and the TB3 wasn't recognized in windows either.

Somehow my TB3 disappeared from my system altogether!

Turned off my PC and also turned off the surge protector and then hit the power button. This discharged the MB completely.

Turned back on and all is well again. Really odd this happened, but, glad it was a simple fix. It didn't make sense that I couldn't see anything plugged into the dock in any OS or bios. This helped alleviate my concern that is was an OS X issue.

I can confirm that this has been happening to my machine too. After a period of time - it does not recognise the device connected to the TB port - but the devices themselves seem to work. I think this is one of the drawbacks of the SSDT method.

I was/am getting the error even without the TB3 device (OWC Thunderbolt Dock) connected. I disassembled the system this weekend and tried a few combinations. Results below:
Combination
Result
i9-9900K iGPU Only​
Success
i9-9900K + 5700XT​
Kernel Panic
i9-9900K + RX Vega 64​
Kernel Panic
i9-9900K + RX480​
Success

So looks like something in the AMD Vega/Navi drivers combined with either our board or TB3 that causes the KP. Polaris seems to be fine. I saw a few comments online (including the one you posted above) that said something similar but the cause of these panics seemingly varies a lot.

Such a strange one. I'm going to try a few more things. Hope this helps someone else going through the same issue(s). If there's anything else I should try, please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help!

The cause of this could be this - I have noticed that with the SSDT method, the System information under Thunderbolt shows - no device connected after a random amount of time. The TB dock connected to the port continues to work. Even the tbpatch command shows no device connected which makes me believe something is wrong.
Anyways I read through OSY's page on the Thunderbolt saga, and I realize that hardware patching method should deliver the best results. I am going to revert to that over the weekend and see how it goes. With that method - I would not be able to see any devices behind the dock after waking from sleep - lets see if that persists.

The cause of this could be this - I have noticed that with the SSDT method, the System information under Thunderbolt shows - no device connected after a random amount of time. The TB dock connected to the port continues to work. Even the tbpatch command shows no device connected which makes me believe something is wrong.
Anyways I read through OSY's page on the Thunderbolt saga, and I realize that hardware patching method should deliver the best results. I am going to revert to that over the weekend and see how it goes. With that method - I would not be able to see any devices behind the dock after waking from sleep - lets see if that persists.

@mango1122 I see. I plan on running the same combination tests on the native firmware over the next few days. Curious to know your results!

QQ => Can I use tbpatch to flash back to the native firmware using the same patch.plist, but with the restore command?

Back