Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Yes - I did that to test the SSDT. If you want to flash the original firmware back - use the tbpatcher from GitHub

sudo ./tbpatch patch -p RP@21 -f patch2.plist.
or you can use the external programmer as before or boot into Windows and update the firmware for the TB device.

The only benefit I see is that USB-C devices are getting detected connected to the TB port. I haven't tested extensively so do not know the other benefits.

@mango1122 So I was able to restore to the original firmware using tbpatch. Thank you for the patch and the tip! Saved me the hassle of removing the MB from the case to flash back.

I tried both DC & D8 versions of the SSDT. Mine's at RP21@1B,4 but curiously just like @fontanero the System Report > Thunderbolt section gets populated only with the D8 version of your SSDT.

With the new SSDT however, I'm facing kernel panics (see attached for details) when resuming from sleep. In most cases, the system goes to sleep just fine but I always get this panic when waking up.

I do not get KPs when using @CaseySJ's version of the SSDT but TB3 stops working after sleep until a restart.

I've tried my Clover EFI as well as your OC EFI and get the same results. I've tried various BIOS Settings (related to Above 4G Decoding & CSM) with the same results. The only thing I haven't touched yet are the TB3 Settings. They're set to the ones you recommended for the modded patch. Those are next on my list.

Any ideas as to what might be going on? If not, given everything I've tried, I'm going to disassemble the system this weekend and do a clean install with minimum devices e.g. iGPU only vs my 5700XT etc.

Attachments

• Z390_TB3_KPv2.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 80
I was curious as well - 33 secs from cold via Clover. Have a bunch of USB/TB stuff connected so maybe impacts a tiny bit.
I'd love to try OpenCore but I've read that it doesn't work well dual booting Windows 10?
I'm really sorry if I'm being slow @mango1122 , but is the SSDT for native TB just for OC?

@Joshmo I think you can use the SSDT in Clover as well. Just be sure to port over the relevant config.plist patches

I was curious as well - 33 secs from cold via Clover. Have a bunch of USB/TB stuff connected so maybe impacts a tiny bit.
I'd love to try OpenCore but I've read that it doesn't work well dual booting Windows 10?
I'm really sorry if I'm being slow @mango1122 , but is the SSDT for native TB just for OC?
You can use that with Clover too. As in the instructions add the SSDT and the DTGP.aml to ACPI/Patched and Add replacement for E2C to XE2C.

@mango1122 So I was able to restore to the original firmware using tbpatch. Thank you for the patch and the tip! Saved me the hassle of removing the MB from the case to flash back.

I tried both DC & D8 versions of the SSDT. Mine's at RP21@1B,4 but curiously just like @fontanero the System Report > Thunderbolt section gets populated only with the D8 version of your SSDT.

With the new SSDT however, I'm facing kernel panics (see attached for details) when resuming from sleep. In most cases, the system goes to sleep just fine but I always get this panic when waking up.

I do not get KPs when using @CaseySJ's version of the SSDT but TB3 stops working after sleep until a restart.

I've tried my Clover EFI as well as your OC EFI and get the same results. I've tried various BIOS Settings (related to Above 4G Decoding & CSM) with the same results. The only thing I haven't touched yet are the TB3 Settings. They're set to the ones you recommended for the modded patch. Those are next on my list.

Any ideas as to what might be going on? If not, given everything I've tried, I'm going to disassemble the system this weekend and do a clean install with minimum devices e.g. iGPU only vs my 5700XT etc.

I would recommend the following
0. Under Energy Saver - Tick only "Put HDD to sleep when possible" and nothing else.
1. Do a cold reboot > plug out the power - leave it for a few minutes and then start
2. On boot - do you see any error related to Thunderbolt in your logs. Use Hackintool to search for Thunderbolt - error related to DROM ?
3. What kind of device is connected to the TB port ? Can the system sleep/wake without the device ?
4. Do you have another TB device to test sleep/wake with ? I have a TS3 dock and it works perfectly. I even have my primary monitor connected to it, network cable and a bunch of USB devices and it works perfectly.
5. You may want to try with the GPU pulled out and iGPU only. With this config - I discovered that Framebuffer patch is not needed. Try with my EFI. Delete the device-properties entirely for the iGPU (in my config folder ) - cold reboot with iGPU only and then try sleep wake.

Unfortunately there's a thread on macrumors that talks about the same issues in a genuine Mac - you may want to read that "MBP 16" Catalina - TB panic report crash page"

TB3 settings as per my PIC earlier are good.

No OP BIOS settings,I have Samsung 960 NvME 512Gb
Is a lot of time boot...

I have a question and I need your help...
The Thunderbolt tree shows me that nothing is loaded because I don't have any TB devices loaded, or can you see it without having any TB devices connected?

Captura de pantalla 2020-05-07 a las 19.11.15.png

In the LOG it does not show any fault and considers it to be recognized by the TB:
Captura de pantalla 2020-05-07 a las 19.13.06.png

In extensions show it loaded:
Captura de pantalla 2020-05-07 a las 19.15.48.png

Thanks for your help...

@fontanero my TB populated with information in system report with nothing connected.

I am not using DGTP.aml. What does that do?

Hi, thanks for your answer, I do use that DGTP.aml, I'll try to remove it right now and let you know how it goes.

I've just made all possible combinations with SSDT-TbtOnPch_PINI_D8.aml and SSDT-TbtOnPch_PINI.aml with DTGP.aml enabled and disabled.

Always error in log as I don't load DTGP.aml and with neither I get to see the TB tree with nothing connected.
Anyway, nothing TB and the USB-C works for me, I'll let it be.
In one of my collections it worked, there is my screenshot in a previous post, but not anymore.

Also wanted to share my experiences with the SSDTs @mango1122 provided

First, updated to BIOS 4.40C and enabled Force Power.

I initially tried SSDT-TbtOnPch_PINI.aml, DTGP.aml, and E2C to XE2C patch on NVM 14. It worked with proper display in system information!!! However, upon sleeping the system I got a crash, and upon booting it was back to "No drivers loaded". Additionally, windows reports "ACPI Error" and won't boot.

During this process, I discovered that I was able to update to NVM 20 only if I use the Windows Boot Loader without the OpenCore boot loader. So, I'm now on NVM 20, which is great.

I've since tried all possible combinations of SSDT-TbtOnPch_PINI_D8.aml, SSDT-TbtOnPch_PINI.aml, DTGP.aml, and the E2C to XE2C patch. IOReg reports "dc" for my system. Still seeing "No drivers loaded" for all conditions unfortunately. If I have SSDT-TbtOnPch_PINI_D8.aml or SSDT-TbtOnPch_PINI.aml and DTGP.aml loaded in OpenCore and try to boot into Windows I get an ACPI error.

Any thoughts?

Back