Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

I’m really curious. How long does it take you guys to boot from off (cold boot) to OSX desktop?

I want to know if it is worth reinstalling my build and going from clover to OC. Everything is working, but will do it for science and faster boot times.

Unless of course bios settings improve boot times in which case, would you all mind sharing whatever bios settings you can?

Those who has the hardware flashing tools could you try to update the TB firmware via the FwUpdateTool V1.0.4 with the patched file ASRock_z390_ITX_Patched_NVM20_try1 ? It seems the FwUpdateTool v1.0.4 did not block the update.

Yes - I did that to test the SSDT. If you want to flash the original firmware back - use the tbpatcher from GitHub

sudo ./tbpatch patch -p RP@21 -f patch2.plist.
or you can use the external programmer as before or boot into Windows and update the firmware for the TB device.

The only benefit I see is that USB-C devices are getting detected connected to the TB port. I haven't tested extensively so do not know the other benefits.

@mango1122, could you explain the use of tbpatcher a bit more?

Using this tool can you flash the full original NVM20 in macOS?

@mango1122, could you explain the use of tbpatcher a bit more?

Using this tool can you flash the full original NVM20 in macOS?

If you are on the stock NVM20 firmware you don’t need this.
This is for people to undo the modifications done to the firmware when we patched it to get TB working. After the tbpatch tool they would get the firmware restored to the stock NVM20.
The tool does selective patching of bytes. If you don't understand what you are doing - I wouldn't recommend using it.

You want to be on the stock firmware to use a SSDT to enable thunderbolt ( yes you no longer need to patch the firmware). Details are in my post above. With the SSDT thunderbolt would work in macOS and also in Windows.

I’m really curious. How long does it take you guys to boot from off (cold boot) to OSX desktop?

I want to know if it is worth reinstalling my build and going from clover to OC. Everything is working, but will do it for science and faster boot times.

Unless of course bios settings improve boot times in which case, would you all mind sharing whatever bios settings you can?

Although we've had some good times Clover, in my case there's not much difference in start-up times, but the reasons for switching to OC are:
Updated tool along with the memory manager
It is less invasive to the operating system
It is simpler and more intuitive to configure
System Boot disk selection works
System updates are safer than breaking anything

and finally this helps a lot: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/

At the beginning you can help from OpenCore configurator taking care that it is well updated to the OpenCore version, but I like to do it more with ProperTree

26 seconds from turning on to Catelina login screen (skipping the count down timer on the Clover boot screen).

29 seconds for me...

I have to do some BIOS tweaking or something. I'm at 52 seconds, and I have a 970 EVO NVMe drive and 32GB of RAM.

Are you all using the OP BIOS settings?

Either that or there is a OpenCore reinstall in my future. How does that affect Windows dual boot? Right now my Win10 is on a separate NVMe drive and working rock solid with Clover boot options.

I have to do some BIOS tweaking or something. I'm at 52 seconds, and I have a 970 EVO NVMe drive and 32GB of RAM.

Are you all using the OP BIOS settings?

Either that or there is a OpenCore reinstall in my future. How does that affect Windows dual boot? Right now my Win10 is on a separate NVMe drive and working rock solid with Clover boot options.
I was curious as well - 33 secs from cold via Clover. Have a bunch of USB/TB stuff connected so maybe impacts a tiny bit.
I'd love to try OpenCore but I've read that it doesn't work well dual booting Windows 10?
I'm really sorry if I'm being slow @mango1122 , but is the SSDT for native TB just for OC?

Back