Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Thank you for this - but I can't for the life of me update the firmware. The Intel FW Updater moaned about Thunderbolt service not found, despite it up and running according to Thunderbolt Control Centre (app v1.0.22.0, controller driver v1.41.769.0). Thought maybe its because using DCH drivers so tried using Lenovo's DCH compatible version, but then got a BIOS assist mode error. Tried turning on Native TB support in BIOS but no dice...

Follow the steps below in Windows
Code:
1. Please download the latest Thunderbolt driver by below link and install it.
Intel® Thunderbolt™ driver ver: 17.4.80.550: http://download.asrock.com/TSD/Desktop/Driver/thunderbolt%28tm%2917.4.80.550_19h1.zip

2. After the latest driver be installed, please restart and go to BIOS/Advance to set [Thunderbolt support] to [Enable]

4. Open the “FWUpdateTool.exe” . The link to this is in the PDF linked above

5. Select the FW Image [ASROCK_Z390_PG_ITX_ac_LP_HR_2C_A1_rev20_TI_170628_noUVP_CNL], we have include it in the attached file.

6. Click the [Start Thunderbolt™ firmware Update]. The utility will flash the firmware image.

7. After Firmware was updated successfully, please read the warning message and click the “OK”

8. Please shutdown the system and remove the power cord to enter the G3 state for 1 minute.

9. The Thunderbolt™ firmware will be updated in next boot.

Follow the steps below in Windows
Code:
1. Please download the latest Thunderbolt driver by below link and install it.
Intel® Thunderbolt™ driver ver: 17.4.80.550: http://download.asrock.com/TSD/Desktop/Driver/thunderbolt%28tm%2917.4.80.550_19h1.zip

2. After the latest driver be installed, please restart and go to BIOS/Advance to set [Thunderbolt support] to [Enable]

4. Open the “FWUpdateTool.exe” . The link to this is in the PDF linked above

5. Select the FW Image [ASROCK_Z390_PG_ITX_ac_LP_HR_2C_A1_rev20_TI_170628_noUVP_CNL], we have include it in the attached file.

6. Click the [Start Thunderbolt™ firmware Update]. The utility will flash the firmware image.

7. After Firmware was updated successfully, please read the warning message and click the “OK”

8. Please shutdown the system and remove the power cord to enter the G3 state for 1 minute.

9. The Thunderbolt™ firmware will be updated in next boot.
Thank you for this. Yep the problem is I'm using the latest DCH drivers and accompanying Thunderbolt Control Center. Rolling back to the old software is a bit of a faffe apparently - I'll see how it goes!

Urgh. Changed over to the legacy drivers and followed the instructions - still ended up with "Error: 0x224 SDK_NATIVE_MODE_MISMATCH Native/BIOS-Assisted mode mismatch between the controller and the image file". I've enabled Native TB support in the BIOS as per the instructions. Are there other BIOS settings that might help?

@mango1122, @Joshmo, this looks promising!

I've just installed driver 17.4.80.550 from your link above, but don't see the ASROCK_Z390_PG_ITX_ac_LP_HR_2C_A1_rev20_TI_170628_noUVP_CNL firmware file. Could you link us to it?

Thank you!

Last edited:
@mango1122, @Joshmo, this looks promising!

I've just installed driver 17.4.80.550 from your link above, but don't see the ASROCK_Z390_PG_ITX_ac_LP_HR_2C_A1_rev20_TI_170628_noUVP_CNL firmware file. Could you link us to it?

Thank you!
Here's the original post >

@Joshmo and @mango1122
I've tried using FWUpdateTool.exe but am getting an error that the thunderbolt controller is not present. I've tried installing both the driver above (17.4.80.550) as well as the one that's available for download on Asrock's driver page for this motherboard. I've booted with a device attached and it definitely works in macOS, so not sure what is going on on the Windows side. Any other tips or BIOS changes that need to be made for FWUpdateTool.exe to recognize the thunderbolt controller?

@Joshmo and @mango1122
I've tried using FWUpdateTool.exe but am getting an error that the thunderbolt controller is not present. I've tried installing both the driver above (17.4.80.550) as well as the one that's available for download on Asrock's driver page for this motherboard. I've booted with a device attached and it definitely works in macOS, so not sure what is going on on the Windows side. Any other tips or BIOS changes that need to be made for FWUpdateTool.exe to recognize the thunderbolt controller?
Does your TB device (which) work on Windows side? For me getting that up and running was pretty much plug and play. You need to have a device attached and running for the controller to be recognised/active. Also TB needs Windows 10 native control active in the BIOS for firmware update. There are also different FWUpdateTool versions out there - the Intel ones linked are for the legacy drivers, and there's also DCH compatible versions (I found one at Lenovo) - but they are incompatible with the others driver set (trying the DCH version with legacy drivers installed will chuck an error of not finding a suitable controller).
Anyways thats as far as I've got - getting the FW to actually update is stumping me.

Last edited:
@Joshmo, alright some progress on my end, I was able to get the FWUpdateTool to continue with my thunderbolt 3 device plugged in. However, before flashing it complains about non-native control mismatch between firmware and the BIOS. You mention that "TB needs Windows 10 native control active in the BIOS for firmware update"-- however, this option seems to be not available! I remember that this option was available on an older BIOS version, but is not an option on 4.40. Do you know which BIOS versions support enabling windows 10 native control? Is it possible to downgrade the BIOS?

Thanks

@Joshmo, alright some progress on my end, I was able to get the FWUpdateTool to continue with my thunderbolt 3 device plugged in. However, before flashing it complains about non-native control mismatch between firmware and the BIOS. You mention that "TB needs Windows 10 native control active in the BIOS for firmware update"-- however, this option seems to be not available! I remember that this option was available on an older BIOS version, but is not an option on 4.40. Do you know which BIOS versions support enabling windows 10 native control? Is it possible to downgrade the BIOS?

Thanks
You can use BIOS 4.00 - downgrade from 4.40 to 4.00 is possible

@jonisign @mango1122 The native control option is still there in BIOS 4.30, which I'm on, but its certainly worth a punt trying out 4.00 to see if that works.

Back