Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

So I took a look... Now let me preface by saying that unfortunately I didn't keep much of my own personal hack's EFI data from Mojave... A bit of this had to come from some quick and dirty research. Give this EFI a try... I did update your SMBIOS to iMac19,1 with the use of both your iGPU (headless) and dGPU - so keep that in mind... If you're already signed into iServices then you can boot from the new SMBIOS and it'll ask you for your iCloud password again - everything should continue working. If not, make sure you clear out everything listed here. I also removed USBInjectALL and replaced it with a custom kext for our motherboard. It is specific to iMac19,1 and it also probably doesn't have the ports active the way you want them but we can figure out the exact ports later and I'll edit for you. I also installed TB3 SSDT so that should also be usable as TB3/USB3 but no hot-plug yet.

Also, the community has now fixed NVRAM via an SSDT to replicated it being native to Z390 boards, you need to update your EFI so it's fully supported. For now, I just left it as is with EMUvariable driver in place. If you want to fix your board so it supports native NVRAM, follow the instructions here. I realize both of those guides are for OpenCore but you can relate the info just as easily to a Clover install.

NOW, it is extremely hard to come up with a fresh EFI on the fly without sitting in front of the computer/hardware so use the posted EFI with caution - I would format a USB thumb drive and boot from the EFI of that or use a separate vanilla install so your original stays intact in case you want to go right back to it... DON'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT A BACKUP! ALWAYS!

Honestly your original EFI was a bit of a mess. There was a ton of unnecessary stuff in there. Going forward I'd love to help, but let's take it to Discord or another method so we don't hijack the thread entirely. My username is the same on Discord.
Hi onmybikedrunk

First of all, thank you very much for spending time helping me
Your new EFI fixed 2 USB port from the back. Now all the back ports are working, the only one that does not work is the single front port and it’s the most important for me.
TB3 does not work as TB and USB and does not charge too. Maybe I have to change something in the bios. By the way the bios is V1.2
I did not update my main EFI and boot drive yet (NVMe). I did test on an external SSD boot drive on a USB port
About the Nvram I do not know what that for
Thank’s again

@onmybikedrunk
I Updated my boot drive and just found out that Ethernet does not work ... Since WiFi was turned on I had connection with WiFi and did not realize Ethernet was not working.

Does anyone know a trick to prevent the "USB not ejected" and TB3 device losing communication on wake from sleep? (I've tried reducing memory speed to 2666 and 2400 without success). Its the only real bug bear left for me (thanks for great work on implementing NVRAM btw).

Hello there. I am trying to build a machine with only iGPU, using i5-8400 on this motherboard, BIOS is 4.30. I tried a lot of different config files from the guide and always end up with kextd stall (iGPU). I can only boot with fakeid 123456789 and such
things I tried:
OP EFI folder with iGPU config file
OP EFI folder with iGPU config file without device properties for IGP, letting WEG do its things
OP EFI folder with iGPU config file without device properties for IGP and old "graphic" injection for 3E9B0007
All the above with 32 64 and 128MB pre allocated
All of these with MacMini and iMac19.1 SMBIOS
BIOS configured as guide, but also tried some boot with CSM on

I'm wondering why the guide is not using the MacMini SMBIOS, is there any special reason I am unaware of? It seems to me the most accurate for an iGPU config on this motherboard.

-- SOLVED: i had migrated fakepciid from my old disk and that somehow interfered with igpu initialization, i don't understand the reason. I get some very strange flickering at boot but all ok during normal use. Still wondering about the iMac Smbios

Last edited:
This is very frustrating, I have a very similar config to the original poster:
  • ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
  • Intel Core i5 8600K
  • PowerColor Radeon AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DH (n.b. this works fine even though it's a PowerColor)
  • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Windows)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (Ubuntu)
  • Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA (Mac OS)
  • 32Gb Corsair RAM

Whenever I boot with FileVault enabled I just instantly get a black screen with:
ERROR _LoginUIInitializedGraphics Can't install updated AppleEvent protocol
ERROR FEDLoginUIInitializeUsers _LoginUIInitializeGraphics failed err: 1
When I have FileVault disabled it works fine. Adding AptioInputFix-64.efi driver doesn't fix it.

Also, using OpenCore to boot it while encrypted works fine.

Any suggestions on a fix?

This is very frustrating, I have a very similar config to the original poster:
  • ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
  • Intel Core i5 8600K
  • PowerColor Radeon AXRX 5700 XT 8GBD6-3DH (n.b. this works fine even though it's a PowerColor)
  • Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Windows)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (Ubuntu)
  • Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA (Mac OS)
  • 32Gb Corsair RAM

Whenever I boot with FileVault enabled I just instantly get a black screen with:

When I have FileVault disabled it works fine. Adding AptioInputFix-64.efi driver doesn't fix it.

Also, using OpenCore to boot it while encrypted works fine.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Please try this EFI from a USB Flash drive and see if it works for you.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.9 MB · Views: 120
Please try this EFI from a USB Flash drive and see if it works for you.
Perfect, that seems to have fixed it! Thanks.

Looking at it there are a lot of changes from the original EFI. Which actual change fixed this may I ask for my own knowledge?

Perfect, that seems to have fixed it! Thanks.

Looking at it there are a lot of changes from the original EFI. Which actual change fixed this may I ask for my own knowledge?

I didn't even look at the original EFI. Lol. This is basically just the EFI from my Z390 build thread.

Back