Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

I'm using someone else's EFI as a root and modified it to fit my setup.
I'didnt have to map the USB ports.

I'm just kind of lost here. I cant see any of the front USB ports in Hackintool. Tried to follow this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
So basically it's like this... Apple put a limit on the USB ports allowed to work on a single machine. That number is 15. A physical USB 2.0-only port counts as a single port but USB 3.0+ counts as TWO ports because it has dual functionality of both USB3 and USB2. The kext that you've borrowed from another EFI probably only has the 15 active on the back and maybe one internal... who knows. It really is a personal preference thing to your machine and your workflow.

You wouldn't be able to see the other ports using Hackintool because you only have the 15 ports active and the rest MacOS is blind to. If you really want to do a port discovery and see ALL the ports available with the limit removed you would need to install USBInjectALL.kext along with a port-limit-removal patch while removing the custom USB kext you have installed now - this is the only way you would see those ports in Hackintool. That being said, all the ports have been mapped out on this thread numerous times. If you want, I'll activate the ports you want in your kext, just tell me which ones are important, front and back and what headers are occupied for the front USB ports on your case.
Note: It is ok to keep a USB3 port functioning ONLY as a USB3 port and NOT a USB2 port (using one out of the 15 but this means if you plug in a USB2 device to that port tho it wouldn't show up). You have to keep the amount of ports you want "open" to 15 for the sake of MacOS stability. Does that make sense?

Possible success with onboard ThunderBolt port (Alpine ridge JHL6240 Series - "Alpine Ridge LP" ) :headbang: (thanks to @Elias64Fr, @CaseySJ)

Must boot with device connected.

@rj510
@jonisign
@fangf2018

I have used the SSDT from here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2063008
  1. Renamed RP23 to RP21
  2. Changed Root port as instructed in the post above to \_SB.PCI0.GPCB (), 0x000D8000
I am not front of the PC and cannot test by plugging in devices. Will update status later.
Screenshots below.
To test in your system, place SSDT-test.aml in ACPI/Patched for Clover. For OC - place in ACPI and call in config.plist

Edit: I'm struggling to collect logs using the ACPIDebug.kext. I have it placed correctly and the RMDT method applied to the SSDT. Still no logs !!

Edit2: I have SIP enabled. Will disable and try collecting the logs. No luck !
Just to let you know the SSDT-test.aml didn't work for me either. Thunderbolt is working but it still says no drivers are loaded.

@jonisign @SonicArt

The SSDT has major issues. I'm still working to solve it. I have updated a new version of the SSDT-test.aml in the original post. Please try testing it with a cold boot (remove power after you switch off). Boot with device connected. For now it works only a MAC and not with my TS3 plus dock. This may or may not work for you.

I also tinkered with the BIOS to enable Thunderbolt Force Pwr.

So basically it's like this...
Thanks for your detailed answer. I have USBInjectAll.kext installed and following patches (dont know why there is so many) which all i disabled (other than External Icons Patch):
Screenshot 2020-02-02 at 14.26.06.png

And after reboot Hackintool looks like this:
Screenshot 2020-02-02 at 14.26.33.png

I cant see any of the external ports HS10, HS11, SS07, SS08.
Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I'm just probably missing the right patches or just the port-removal-patch for 10.14.6.

I'm just probably missing the right patches or just the port-removal-patch for 10.14.6.
That is correct. You need to activate the correct port limit removal patch for the correct version of MacOS you are using.

That is correct. You need to activate the correct port limit removal patch for the correct version of MacOS you are using.
Found some instructions for Mojave 10.14.6 but still can't see the front USB ports. Also installed XHCI-unsupported.kext as mentioned in instructions.

Mojave 10.14.6: (4 Patches)
  • Patch #1:
  • Name*: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
  • Find* [HEX]: 83FB0F0F
  • Replace* [HEX]: 83FB3F0F
  • Comment: USB Port Limit Patch 1 PMHeart/DalianSky
  • MatchOS: 10.14.x
  • Patch #2:
  • Name*: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
  • Find* [HEX]: 83E30FD3
  • Replace* [HEX]: 83E33FD3
  • Comment: USB Port Limit Patch 2 PMHeart/DalianSky
  • Patch #3:
  • Name*: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
  • Find* [HEX]: 83FB0F0F
  • Replace* [HEX]: 83FB3F0F
  • Comment: USB Port Limit Patch 3 PMHeart/DalianSky
  • Patch #4:
  • Name*: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
  • Find* [HEX]: 83FF0F0F
  • Replace* [HEX]: 83FF3F0F
  • Comment: USB Port Limit Patch 4 PMHeart/DalianSky

@jonisign @SonicArt

The SSDT has major issues. I'm still working to solve it. I have updated a new version of the SSDT-test.aml in the original post. Please try testing it with a cold boot (remove power after you switch off). Boot with device connected. For now it works only a MAC and not with my TS3 plus dock. This may or may not work for you.

I also tinkered with the BIOS to enable Thunderbolt Force Pwr.

@mango1122 , thank you for sharing your progress on this! Have tried your latest SSDT-test.aml, but am still seeing "No drivers loaded." Have tried a combination of different BIOS settings for TB3, as well as a cold boot with a device (USB-C disk) plugged in before power on.

Looking forward to hearing if you're able to solve the issues you're noticing with this SSDT.

@rj510 , Man, you can't even imagine how thrilled I was to see this thread last week when I installed this mobo into my machine. I've utilized your EFI (but upgraded Clover) and have been able to get through the first two boots of my Catalina install. However, on my last boot, I only see part of the screen on the top left corner. I can see the mouse move around but no clue what's going on elsewhere on the screen and the part I see is just like a white gradient background. My CPU and Mobo are identical to yours. The difference with my build is that I have the reference XFX Radeon 5700xt (blower).

My EFI is the same one you posted (but with the clover upgrade, of course). Could I trouble you for some advice on how to proceed? This is as close as I've been able to get. I know I'm almost there!

@rj510 , Man, you can't even imagine how thrilled I was to see this thread last week when I installed this mobo into my machine. I've utilized your EFI (but upgraded Clover) and have been able to get through the first two boots of my Catalina install. However, on my last boot, I only see part of the screen on the top left corner. I can see the mouse move around but no clue what's going on elsewhere on the screen and the part I see is just like a white gradient background. My CPU and Mobo are identical to yours. The difference with my build is that I have the reference XFX Radeon 5700xt (blower).

My EFI is the same one you posted (but with the clover upgrade, of course). Could I trouble you for some advice on how to proceed? This is as close as I've been able to get. I know I'm almost there!
Did you add the boot flag
Code:
agdpmod=pikera
to your config?

Back