Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Possible success with onboard ThunderBolt port (Alpine ridge JHL6240 Series - "Alpine Ridge LP" ) :headbang: (thanks to @Elias64Fr, @CaseySJ)

Edit: Look here for updated info

Last edited:
Possible success with onboard ThunderBolt port (Alpine ridge JHL6240 Series - "Alpine Ridge LP" ) :headbang: (thanks to @Elias64Fr, @CaseySJ)

Must boot with device connected.

@rj510
@jonisign
@fangf2018

I have used the SSDT from here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2063008
  1. Renamed RP23 to RP21
  2. Changed Root port as instructed in the post above to \_SB.PCI0.GPCB (), 0x000D8000
I am not front of the PC and cannot test by plugging in devices. Will update status later.
Screenshots below.
To test in your system, place SSDT-test.aml in ACPI/Patched for Clover. For OC - place in ACPI and call in config.plist

Edit: I'm struggling to collect logs using the ACPIDebug.kext. I have it placed correctly and the RMDT method applied to the SSDT. Still no logs !!

Edit2: I have SIP enabled. Will disable and try collecting the logs. No luck !

Nice work @mango1122!!
Does this work with a USB-C device, or must it be a TB3 device?

I will try with both later today.

Hi @mango1122, alright I've tried both your SSDT-test.aml and compiling the dsl above and placing/calling them in ACPI. I've tried booting with a USB-C and a TB3 device attached and both result in this message in the thunderbolt section of system information:
Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.

In Hackintool, all of the relevant JHL6240 devices are loaded properly.

This is slightly different than booting without a device connected, which results in Thunderbolt: No hardware found.

Any other tricks to getting your aml to work?

What are your BIOS settings? Which other SSDTs do you have loaded to enable TB3? Does the one above conflict with any other ones in your EFI?

Last edited:
Hi @mango1122, alright I've tried both your SSDT-test.aml and compiling the dsl above and placing/calling them in ACPI. I've tried booting with a USB-C and a TB3 device attached and both result in this message in the thunderbolt section of system information:
Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.

In Hackintool, all of the relevant JHL6240 devices are loaded properly.

This is slightly different than booting without a device connected, which results in Thunderbolt: No hardware found.

Any other tricks to getting your aml to work?

What are your BIOS settings? Which other SSDTs do you have loaded to enable TB3? Does the one above conflict with any other ones in your EFI?

For me the SSDT-test.aml works fine. I am on BIOS 4.40 (I think). The other SSDT's are the same one from my folder before so nothing special (in the following order on OC).

SSDT-PMC.aml
SSDT-test.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-AWAC.aml
SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-Z390-ASRock-ITX-AR-TB3-V8.aml disable this

On windows I updated the TB driver to the following version - Intel-Thunderbolt-Controller-Driver_TBT79_WIN_17.4.79.510_A12.EXE

Edit : I do not have a TB device handy to test but of you're using Clover then try plugging in the device at the clover boot screen during the countdown.

Last edited:
@mango1122 Aside from the obvious (SSDT and updated call-out on your config) has anything else changed in your config.plist or otherwise (boot flags etc) since you last posted your EFI a few pages back?

The only issue I'm having so far is when the computer goes to sleep it "wakes" back up in a fresh state (as if it was restarted) with a "your mac had to restart because it encountered a problem" reporting pop-up. Any idea on how to fix? I'm more than happy to test your TB3 SSDT as soon as I get a few other kinks worked out.

@mango1122 Aside from the obvious (SSDT and updated call-out on your config) has anything else changed in your config.plist or otherwise (boot flags etc) since you last posted your EFI a few pages back?

The only issue I'm having so far is when the computer goes to sleep it "wakes" back up in a fresh state (as if it was restarted) with a "your mac had to restart because it encountered a problem" reporting pop-up. Any idea on how to fix? I'm more than happy to test your TB3 SSDT as soon as I get a few other kinks worked out.

Does it wake up automatically and crashes or does does that happen when you wake it ?
  • Check the reason for Wake by - sudo pmset -g log | grep -e "Wake.*due to"
  • If you have NVRAM enabled you will have crash logs - check them for the crash reason
  • I have HS14 disabled in my USB port definition (the onboard WIFI/Bluetooth module). I use a PCI based Wifi card so I don't need it. I also have disabled this in the BIOS.
  • You can also try removing all usb devices and testing sleep. Then connect the devices back 1 by 1.
The EFI is pretty much the same but I'll can post the version im running now (just in case you want to check). - will do so in an hour.

For me the SSDT-test.aml works fine. I am on BIOS 4.40 (I think). The other SSDT's are the same one from my folder before so nothing special (in the following order on OC).

SSDT-PMC.aml
SSDT-test.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-AWAC.aml
SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-Z390-ASRock-ITX-AR-TB3-V8.aml disable this

On windows I updated the TB driver to the following version - Intel-Thunderbolt-Controller-Driver_TBT79_WIN_17.4.79.510_A12.EXE

Edit : I do not have a TB device handy to test but of you're using Clover then try plugging in the device at the clover boot screen during the countdown.

Got it-- I've tried disabling SSDT-Z390-ASRock-ITX-AR-TB3-V8.aml and just using SSDT.aml and still am not seeing the drivers load. I haven't updated the TB firmware though, maybe that could help. Where did you obtain the EXE file above?

Also, another issue I'm having is that during boot in the OC menu if I try to use the keyboard I'll get a freeze using your EFI. Haven't seen this effect using fangf2018's implementation. Is there a keyboard setting that I might need to change?

Got it-- I've tried disabling SSDT-Z390-ASRock-ITX-AR-TB3-V8.aml and just using SSDT.aml and still am not seeing the drivers load. I haven't updated the TB firmware though, maybe that could help. Where did you obtain the EXE file above?

Also, another issue I'm having is that during boot in the OC menu if I try to use the keyboard I'll get a freeze using your EFI. Haven't seen this effect using fangf2018's implementation. Is there a keyboard setting that I might need to change?

UEFI>Drivers>KeySupport - YES (to use the OC's built in keyboard support). I use this because it supports my Apple keyboard in the boot menu (Wired to the pc). Cannot be used together with UsbKbDxe.efi

If it doesn't work for you - turn this setting off and add UsbKbDxe.efi to your drivers (and to the config.plist).

I don't remember where I got the firmware from but I'll test it with a TB dock tomorrow.

So the KP I was experiencing was GPU related. Evidently there is an issue with macOS drivers and the reference 5700 XT that affects some users. Happens on real Macs as well. It’s all over the forums. I put my 580 back in and all is well. I have some more troubleshooting to do tonight.

I'm updating the BIOS for this mobo with modified versions (one for each v1.6 and v4.2). This is simply cosmetic and will do nothing for the mobo aside from replacing the stock ASRock BIOS image with the one below.

Any chance to get that nice Apple BIOS boot image on latest 4.4 BIOS?
Thanks!
g\

Back