Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Upgraded to 10.15.1 using OpenCore - EFI folder in my post from earlier

Attached is the EFI. It's based on the good work of @fangf2018 - Keep in mind

1. Config is with IGPU only, no eGPU. Monitor is attached via a DVI (not HDMI)
2. I have a Dell DW1560 card - so Items 8 to 11 (under Kernel) are for that
3. Add your own serial number for MLB, ROM, System serial number and System UUID. Very important - don't forgert the ROM - otherwise your iMessage won't work. For rom use your Mac ID and add as Type 'Data' Value "<xxxx>". Don't miss the "<>"

EDIT: Sidecar now works after AirportBrcmFixup was updated to 2.0.3. Updated EFI is attached.
Edit2: Sidecar is not very stable. Sometimes it fails to connect.

Asrock z390 Phantom ITX
i9-9900K
UHD 630

Yes CSM disabled seems to be the most efficient way with modern hardware. But I don't get why disabling it prevents macOS and Windows from using the iGPU in conjunction with a dGPU.

I just figured something that seems weird to me: when idling on macOS, iStat/HWMonitor shows about 95W of power consumption for my RX590 (Sapphire Nitro+, "silent" BIOS with 0dB option), while it's more about 37W in Windows. I can also observer higher temps in macOS when idling/surfing the web (no video) (easily reaches +50°C turning fans on from time to time) while in windows it never exceed 45°C when doing same tasks. In Windows I have Wattman but I do not apply any overclock, all settings are stock. Maybe power consumption is misread by VirtualSMC but temps seem true as fans regularly turn on in macOS while they don't in Windows (unless doing gpu intensive tasks of course). Any idea to sort it out ?
However idle CPU temps are similar (about 35-37°C)

I had no problem with iGPU + dGPU in MacOS or Windows with CSM disabled.

And I've had no unusual power reporting with VirtualSMC and HWMonitorSWC2 when using either an RX580 or a Vega 56. Both worked just fine. I never use FakeSMC. I don't know why you're having a different experience (although I've chosen to stay at BIOS v1.6 and Mojave using Clover, as previously stated).

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.55.38 AM.png

5700 XT still needs agdpmod=pikera. Sidecar works good.

Hey, Mango. I find OpenCore and Catalina very interesting. With now 58 pages on this site I find it pretty hard to keep track of all the subtopics. I, therefore, encourage you to create your own thread. I would love to follow it.

I had no problem with iGPU + dGPU in MacOS or Windows with CSM disabled.

And I've had no unusual power reporting with VirtualSMC and HWMonitorSWC2 when using either an RX580 or a Vega 56. Both worked just fine. I never use FakeSMC. I don't know why you're having a different experience (although I've chosen to stay at BIOS v1.6 and Mojave using Clover, as previously stated).

Still cannot get Windows to boot with iGPU enabled and CSM disabled. Now I stuck at the "preparing automatic repair"... Pretty sure it has something to do with either Windows and/or the way UEFI boot is handled by the MoBo. Example of another strange behavior: now in the boot BIOS menu, both Windows boot manager and Clover appear on the same disk, while it's actually not true.

I found some other people with weird power consumption and higher temps than in Windows using a RX580 or RX590. But still no further explanation.

Oh, and I just wanted to let you know that updating bios from 4.00 to 4.10 is seamless. I did this because my CPU was released after the 4.00 version and I thought that might be a good idea to use updated Intel microcode. I did not tried 4.20 however as it's said to only add 9900KS support.

Remove PPMC, replace RTC0 with AWAC to achieve stable boot (no memory allocation error) and auto sleep when system is idle.
thx

Hi @rj510, did you see this writeup this regarding TB3 hotplug?

Yes, I did see the sub-post on TB3 hot-plugging a few months ago.

I incorporated the "Method (NTFY, 1, Serialized)" into the TB SSDT (on my X299 build), but it didn't seem to help functionality on the ITX mobo:

Code:
REPLACE:

Scope (PXSX)
        {
            Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
        }

WITH:

Scope (PXSX)
        {
            Method (NTFY, 1, Serialized)
            {
                If (LEqual (Arg0, Zero))
                {
                    Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP21.UPSB.DSB0.NHI0, Zero)
                }
            }
        }

Yes, I did see the sub-post on TB3 hot-plugging a few months ago.

I incorporated the "Method (NTFY, 1, Serialized)" into the TB SSDT (on my X299 build), but it didn't seem to help functionality on the ITX mobo:

Code:
REPLACE:

Scope (PXSX)
        {
        }

WITH:

Scope (PXSX)
        {
            Method (NTFY, 1, Serialized)
            {
                If (LEqual (Arg0, Zero))
                {
                    Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP21.UPSB.DSB0.NHI0, Zero)
                }
            }
        }
Hi,rj510, Can you post your x299 EFI. I have a same build as yours, but I met white screen during the installation of 10.15.1, Thanks!

Back