Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Hello, I’m having issues with installing Mojave with this motherboard. I have the same motherboard and I have a i7 9700k and my Hackintosh is getting stuck at VM subsystem is one. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Hello, I’m having issues with installing Mojave with this motherboard. I have the same motherboard and I have a i7 9700k and my Hackintosh is getting stuck at VM subsystem is one. Does anyone know how to solve this?
I don’t need the help anymore. All I had to do was update the BIOS to 4.20.

5700 XT works good on Beta 2

Sounds good!

I've read that some people are having GPU issues with RX5700 and 10.15.1-ß2, requiring them to remove WEG to avoid a dark screen when using a Navi GPU (like the RX5700). If they do remove WEG, then they need to add a Clover/Boot argument of "agdpmod=pikera". (I don't have a navi GPU to test; nor am I using any betas of Catalina.)

Or, they can use a special kext for injecting proper Graphic Power Management (AGPMInjector.kext) instead of WEG. It can be created by using the app by Pavo (here). When you run the app, select your SMBIOS from the pop-up and whether you've activated the iGPU. Place this kext into the kext/Other folder. I'll attach a kext for the iMac19,1 below. (I've been using this AGPM kext on my X299 build for some time, but have not used it on the ASRock ITX mobo.)

Attachments

• AGPMInjector-iMac19,1.kext.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 79
Thank you @rj510. I tried to set the boot argument accordingly.
It resulted in a very short systems report of WIFI. The country was still set to "US" and the frequency was still "149".

I have wondered why the region code was "US" when Ive set all the
region settings to "DE" (German). Then Ive read that by default AirportBrcmFixup.kext sets the region for WIFI as "US".
I also remembered that my BCM943602CS is supposed to work OOB so I removed

-AirportBrcmFixup.kext
-BrcmFirmwareData.kext
-BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

from kexts/other folder.

After reboot the systems report of WIFI showed region code "DE" and frequency "44".
Bluetooth and WIFI are still working. Do you think I can leave things that way?

This is good news!

If it's working without those kexts, it's fine. So leave them out.

To try to get rid of the electric whistle of the coil (Coil Whine), you need to change the following parameters. Does anyone know what they are called in the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard in the BIOS?

1. CPU Power Phase Control
2. CPU Power Duty Control
3. CPU VCore Voltage
4. CPU VRM Switching Frequency
5. CPU Core Clock

CPU Settings:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Power Settings:

3.jpg

4.jpg

Sounds good!

I've read that some people are having GPU issues with RX5700 and 10.15.1-ß2, requiring them to remove WEG to avoid a dark screen when using a Navi GPU (like the RX5700). If they do remove WEG, then they need to add a Clover/Boot argument of "agdpmod=pikera". (I don't have a navi GPU to test; nor am I using any betas of Catalina.)

Or, they can use a special kext for injecting proper Graphic Power Management (AGPMInjector.kext) instead of WEG. It can be created by using the app by Pavo (here). When you run the app, select your SMBIOS from the pop-up and whether you've activated the iGPU. Place this kext into the kext/Other folder. I'll attach a kext for the iMac19,1 below. (I've been using this AGPM kext on my X299 build for some time, but have not used it on the ASRock ITX mobo.)
Thanks @rj510. 5700XT can work without WEG and AGPMInjector.kext

You are my hero.

Have searched all forums here in Germany ... Unfortunately, I had enormous throughput problems with the BCM94360CS2 exact 200 Mbit download, then with your EFI 430 Mbit as ordered! :)

I have used and updated your EFI. Huge improvement. It's all right. Thank you very much!

Hi there,
Almost my first post on this forum. First I would say a huge THANKS to @rj510 and everyone else who helped him set his config. I was planning SFF build since several months and eventually bought everything a week ago. As you might guess it's based on the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac.
Other parts:
Intel Core i7-9700
2x8GB 3200MHz C16 Corsair Vengeance running at full speed without issue so far
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 (running with iGPU activated)
500GB MP510 NVMe for macOS 10.14.6
500GB MX500 M.2 SATA for Windows
Wifi/Bluetooth adapter not switched yet, waiting for a cheap BCM94350ZAE/DW1820A

I will do a more in-depth post later, but for now I just wanted to raise a few points and once again say THANK YOU as I was able to run my machine in a couple of hours (including both Window and macOS installation).

Now it's time for fine tuning. First thing is to modify activated USB ports, as I don't have USB ports on my case so I wanted to disable all internal USB port and enable HS09/SS06. I wanted to use the same method Rj510 use, ie create a custom USBPorts.kext. I tried two methods : starting from scratch using USBMap script, then modifying Rj510's custom USBPorts kext. When I understood all the additionnal stuff he added to the plist file I couldnt get from USBmap (at least I dont know how), I ended up with a mix of both, with Rj510's one as the base, from which I deleted unwanted internal USB ports then added HS09 and SS06. I also changed the port-count key (under iMac19,1-XHC) from GAAAAA== to FgAAAA== (as the last listed port is not SS08 anymore but SS06 with FgAAAA== as data value). The resulting kext is attached below. So far it seems to work as expected.

So here are my questions:
  • Does my modification seems fine to you ?
  • Could you explain why HS03 appears two times, under iMac19,1-XHC2 as an internal port (255) and under iMac19,1-XHC as an USB 3 port (3) ?
  • When trying to make my own usbports kext using USBMap, the script listed several times a USR01 port which does not appear in Rj510 configuration. I still dont get what thit USR port is about and would like to have further explanantion if anyone have enough time and knowledge
  • Can you confirm that there is actually 3 ways of correctly mapping ports:
    • Using a custom USBPorts kext
    • Using USBInjectAll kext with uia_exclude boot argument to exclude unused ports and stay below the 15 ports limit
    • Using USBInjectAll kext with custom SSDT-UIAC and maybe SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX ?
I would like to go deeper about the last question. You said about the USBPorts.kext method:
Essentially USBPorts injects only the USB ports that you want and leaves all other ports disabled
while Corpnewt (author of USBMap) says (at the bottom of this page)
The former will attempt to build a USBMap.kext injector (which does not require USBInjectAll.kext) - this will only add ports that don't show up without USBInjectAll.kext, though - so if your system is like my Asus Maximus X Code (which already detects HS01-HS14 and SS01-SS10 without USBInjectAll.kext), you'll already be above the 15 port limit and adding more ports will do no good
Isn't it a bit contradictory ? Or am I missing something ?

Again, thanks Rj510 and eeveryone else who helped for your time and efforts !

Attachments

• USBPorts-z390-ASRock-PhGmITX-iMac19,1-NoInternal.kext.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 82
Hi there,
Almost my first post on this forum. First I would say a huge THANKS to @rj510 and everyone else who helped him set his config. I was planning SFF build since several months and eventually bought everything a week ago. As you might guess it's based on the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac.
Other parts:
Intel Core i7-9700
2x8GB 3200MHz C16 Corsair Vengeance running at full speed without issue so far
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 (running with iGPU activated)
500GB MP510 NVMe for macOS 10.14.6
500GB MX500 M.2 SATA for Windows
Wifi/Bluetooth adapter not switched yet, waiting for a cheap BCM94350ZAE/DW1820A

I will do a more in-depth post later, but for now I just wanted to raise a few points and once again say THANK YOU as I was able to run my machine in a couple of hours (including both Window and macOS installation).

Now it's time for fine tuning. First thing is to modify activated USB ports, as I don't have USB ports on my case so I wanted to disable all internal USB port and enable HS09/SS06. I wanted to use the same method Rj510 use, ie create a custom USBPorts.kext. I tried two methods : starting from scratch using USBMap script, then modifying Rj510's custom USBPorts kext. When I understood all the additionnal stuff he added to the plist file I couldnt get from USBmap (at least I dont know how), I ended up with a mix of both, with Rj510's one as the base, from which I deleted unwanted internal USB ports then added HS09 and SS06. I also changed the port-count key (under iMac19,1-XHC) from GAAAAA== to FgAAAA== (as the last listed port is not SS08 anymore but SS06 with FgAAAA== as data value). The resulting kext is attached below. So far it seems to work as expected.

So here are my questions:
  • Does my modification seems fine to you ?
  • Could you explain why HS03 appears two times, under iMac19,1-XHC2 as an internal port (255) and under iMac19,1-XHC as an USB 3 port (3) ?
  • When trying to make my own usbports kext using USBMap, the script listed several times a USR01 port which does not appear in Rj510 configuration. I still dont get what thit USR port is about and would like to have further explanantion if anyone have enough time and knowledge
  • Can you confirm that there is actually 3 ways of correctly mapping ports:
    • Using a custom USBPorts kext
    • Using USBInjectAll kext with uia_exclude boot argument to exclude unused ports and stay below the 15 ports limit
    • Using USBInjectAll kext with custom SSDT-UIAC and maybe SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX ?
I would like to go deeper about the last question. You said about the USBPorts.kext method:

while Corpnewt (author of USBMap) says (at the bottom of this page)

Isn't it a bit contradictory ? Or am I missing something ?

Again, thanks Rj510 and eeveryone else who helped for your time and efforts !

Attachments

• USBPortsALL.kext.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 84
Back