Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Hi @rj510 and all, long time lurker first time Hackintosher.
Firstly, thank you so much for all your hard work to get this up and running and your continued interest.
Im coming from a MBP 11,3 and now there isn't a Mac to buy that's suitable for me, so I'm going down the Hack route. Excited and anxious about it as it's my first time trying this, but I'm planning to take my time transitioning to this new system to take off the time pressure to get it working.
A quick question regarding Thunderbolt - I'm going to be using a UAD Satellite Octo - this is Thunderbolt 2. Can I just use an Apple TB3>TB2 adapter rather than having to use the TB3 Dock? I've scoured the entire thread several times without seeing if this is answered so apologies if it has!

Hi @rj510 and all, long time lurker first time Hackintosher.
Firstly, thank you so much for all your hard work to get this up and running and your continued interest.
Im coming from a MBP 11,3 and now there isn't a Mac to buy that's suitable for me, so I'm going down the Hack route. Excited and anxious about it as it's my first time trying this, but I'm planning to take my time transitioning to this new system to take off the time pressure to get it working.
A quick question regarding Thunderbolt - I'm going to be using a UAD Satellite Octo - this is Thunderbolt 2. Can I just use an Apple TB3>TB2 adapter rather than having to use the TB3 Dock? I've scoured the entire thread several times without seeing if this is answered so apologies if it has!

I don't know if the adapter works straight out of the mobo. I do know that it can work with a TB3 dock (which you're trying to avoid). My guess is that it may work. Since you'd need the TB3->TB2 adapter in either case, why not try it first using the adapter directly from the mobo.

If it doesn't work, then buy the TB3 dock.

I'm updating the BIOS for this mobo with modified versions (one for each v1.6 and v4.2). This is simply cosmetic and will do nothing for the mobo aside from replacing the stock ASRock BIOS image with the one below.

They can be downloaded from the first post on this thread. The BIOS files will need to have their names adjusted; follow the manual for details. All BIOS mods are used at your own risk.

For a complete description of what I did, see these posts (here and here) from the ASUS X299 Support thread.

Image1-160-new.jpg

Last edited:
I did an update to my hack some days ago (Newest Mojave, BIOS to 4.2, patches and Driver).
Everything went smoothly except the newest virtualsmc doesnt work somehow.
Im happy with the system now and looking for the catalina release, and yes the power off button still doesnt work, i think this should be something for rehabman and his skills. Hes the godmaster in this scene, i glady would pay 5 dollars for a fix, maybe we can get a bucket full of some dollars and donate him for a fix.

Also i attached my custom made Case from china ; )IMG_8942.JPGIMG_8940.JPGIMG_8920.JPG

I did an update to my hack some days ago (Newest Mojave, BIOS to 4.2, patches and Driver).
Everything went smoothly except the newest virtualsmc doesnt work somehow.
Im happy with the system now and looking for the catalina release, and yes the power off button still doesnt work, i think this should be something for rehabman and his skills. Hes the godmaster in this scene, i glady would pay 5 dollars for a fix, maybe we can get a bucket full of some dollars and donate him for a fix.

Also i attached my custom made Case from china ; )View attachment 427157View attachment 427158View attachment 427159

Looks great!

So from what I can see Bios 4,2 can be used without issues now.
Does everything work with such bios?
I'm planning a build that uses 2x32GB 3000Mhz stick from Corsair that are supported in ASRock Memory QLV.
I probably need Bios 4,2 for those to work.

Thanks

I'm updating the BIOS for this mobo with modified versions (one for each v1.6 and v4.2). This is simply cosmetic and will do nothing for the mobo aside from replacing the stock ASRock BIOS image with the one below.

They can be downloaded from the first post on this thread. The BIOS files will need to have their names adjusted; follow the manual for details. All BIOS mods are used at your own risk.

For a complete description of what I did, see these posts (here and here) from the ASUS X299 Support thread.

View attachment 427154
Thanks for this & other reply. Boot logo looks great!

Thank you so much for this guide. Everything works as expected, even Thunderbolt 3, which is connected to a external DAS and the speeds say the truth. I choose the non SSDT pathed Thunderbolt port because for me that was the most reliable one, even if it's without HotPlug. My BIOS is currently 1.6 and works like a dream.
My Hack build:

i7 8700
Asus RX 580 8GB
AsRock Z390 Phantom ITX
32GB RAM
Silverstone SX 650W PSU
DanCases A4

Even the USB ports worked as expected. Thank you so much again! Cheers!

I choose the non SSDT pathed Thunderbolt port

Could you explain me the difference? Which file was it? Maybe i oversaw something ; )

In the guide, check out Spoiler: Look: No TB SSDT.

Back