Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Sleeping not working well on my machine too. When I sleep my machine,
1. It may sleep correctly. Fan stops.
2. The screen turns black for a minute then come back to the login screen.
3. The screen turns black but the fan doesn't stop.

See this earlier post here and this one here regarding Mac settings that can help with sleep/wake function.

Another issue might be your Clover/Boot argument settings. Darkwake can affect this; I've set mine to "darkwake=8".

See this earlier post here and this one here regarding Mac settings that can help with sleep/wake function.

Another issue might be your Clover/Boot argument settings. Darkwake can affect this; I've set mine to "darkwake=8".

I don't think darkwake=8 is valid anymore, FYI. In this file only 1, 2, and 3 are valid values, with the default being 3. Unsure what happens with a setting of 8.

C++:
// gDarkWakeFlags
enum {
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleEarly      = 0x01, // hid tickle before gfx suppression
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate       = 0x02, // hid tickle after gfx suppression
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleNone       = 0x03, // hid tickle is not posted
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleMask       = 0x03,
    kDarkWakeFlagAlarmIsDark         = 0x0100,
    kDarkWakeFlagGraphicsPowerState1 = 0x0200,
    kDarkWakeFlagAudioNotSuppressed  = 0x0400
};

I don't think darkwake=8 is valid anymore, FYI. In this file only 1, 2, and 3 are valid values, with the default being 3. Unsure what happens with a setting of 8.

8 is a combination (hex addition) of the some of the above values.

8 is a combination (hex addition) of the some of the above values.

I don't think that's right:

0x01 + 0x02 = 0x03 = 3 (base 10) and 0000 0011 (base 2).

8 base 10 is 0000 0100 (base 2) = 0x08 (hexedecimal).

The other values, like 0x0100 and 0x0200 are 256 and 512 (base 10), respectively. I don't see how you can get from 8 to any of the valid values by various base conversions. Am I missing something?

Have you empirically observed a difference in behavior between `darkwake=8`, `darkwake=3` (the default), and omitting the flag altogether?

I don't think that's right:

0x01 + 0x02 = 0x03 = 3 (base 10) and 0000 0011 (base 2).

8 base 10 is 0000 0100 (base 2) = 0x08 (hexedecimal).

The other values, like 0x0100 and 0x0200 are 256 and 512 (base 10), respectively. I don't see how you can get from 8 to any of the valid values by various base conversions. Am I missing something?

Have you empirically observed a difference in behavior between `darkwake=8`, `darkwake=3` (the default), and omitting the flag altogether?

I've not tested other settings as sleep/wake works.

I believe hex and decimal values below 8 amount to the same when added:

kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate = 0x02
DarkWakeFlagGraphicsPowerState1 = 0x0200
kDarkWakeFlagAudioNotSuppressed = 0x0400
-------
sum= 8

Here are the pop-up options in Clover:

darkwake-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @rj510. I will try that as soon as I receive the components :)
How did it go? I also will be using an i5-9600K.

Considering that your current configuration is working would it be possible to clone yours so others can 'seed' your build ?

I've not tested other settings as sleep/wake works.

I believe hex and decimal values below 8 amount to the same when added. I'm busy at work and can't look up, but I seem to recall something like this:
kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate = 0x02
DarkWakeFlagGraphicsPowerState1 = 0x0200
kDarkWakeFlagAudioNotSuppressed = 0x0400
-------

Something like this is easy to check with a tool like wolframalpha, if you want to be extra sure: link. The only other explanation I can think of is that the words of the bytes are being flipped, as in the Arbitrary Device settings you used, but that wouldn't really make sense in this context. Were you able to find the CorpNewt post?

Hi @rj510,

I recently got rid of my GPU and started using the Intel HD Graphics for this board.
Since then I am experiencing random reboots, so it clearly has to do something with the Graphics. Have you had this? Any idea what it can be?

Hi @rj510,

I recently got rid of my GPU and started using the Intel HD Graphics for this board.
Since then I am experiencing random reboots, so it clearly has to do something with the Graphics. Have you had this? Any idea what it can be?

I used also for some time the iGPU because I wanted to test if I can get the Display signal through TB3 to a TB3 Dock and than to a Display using DisplayPort. I'm using BIOS 4.0, and I had to do Shared Memory to AUTO for the iGPU. For the patching of the HDMI and Displayoutput I used this Guide and oriented my Clover on the Z390 Designare build. : )

Used also for some time the iGPU because i wanted to test if i can get the Displaysignal through TB3 to a TB3 Dock and than to a Display using Displayport. Using BIOS 4.0, and i had to do Shared Memory to AUTO for the iGPU. For the patching of the HDMI and Displayoutput i used this Guide and oriented my clover on the Z390 Designare build : )

Oh, were you able to get the Kensington dock's DisplayPort port working with iGPU?

Were you able to get it working with a discrete GPU as well? (Can the motherboard even route display buffer data from the GPU to the TB3 port to the DisplayPort port on the dock?) Just curious.

Back