Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

I have no knowledge using the i3 9100. Hopefully someone else can contribute.

If you do need to use BIOS v4.0, Qres earlier on this page, seems to have v4 working after changing to FakeSMC.
Thanks, I keep that in mind. More and more CPU's are listed with 4.0 requirement.
Don't know if 4.0 is mandatory for these 2018-2019, CPU's (with our z390 Phantom gaming atx/ac) or just strongly? advised. Ref.- https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#CPU. (Thank you rj510 for your meticulous magic contribution -as well as others). I could not have a hackintosh without you. Even though I painted myself in a corner right now hehe.

First of all thank you very much for posting this builds @rj510! It helps me so much on my first time installing macOS on this motherboard :)

So I follows every steps provided in the post and my build works almost flawlessly (although I don't have any thunderbolt devices to test that capability) however it seems that my system can only detect USB devices after waking up from sleep... Very strange

I keep the kexts on the Other folder (as per update on 25 May 2019). I'm on BIOS 1.6 if that helps

First of all thank you very much for posting this builds @rj510! It helps me so much on my first time installing macOS on this motherboard :)

So I follows every steps provided in the post and my build works almost flawlessly (although I don't have any thunderbolt devices to test that capability) however it seems that my system can only detect USB devices after waking up from sleep... Very strange

I keep the kexts on the Other folder (as per update on 25 May 2019). I'm on BIOS 1.6 if that helps

Turns out it only happens when I try to plug in USB storage devices.. Other kinds of USB works normally from boot, so I assume this has something to do with the custom SSDT. Still, strange thing that my USB storage does work after waking up from sleep.

So I see from v1.6 if everything works well is not necessary to move to v4.0, or brings some improvement?
As I see with the patch the v4.0 works well not?

Turns out it only happens when I try to plug in USB storage devices.. Other kinds of USB works normally from boot, so I assume this has something to do with the custom SSDT. Still, strange thing that my USB storage does work after waking up from sleep.

Are you using USBPorts or the SSDT-UIAC variant? If the former, then try changing to the latter set-up (which uses USBInjectAll). There is a discussion of both methods on the first post and a spoiler section.

So I see from v1.6 if everything works well is not necessary to move to v4.0, or brings some improvement?
As I see with the patch the v4.0 works well not?

As for v4.0, my set up is working and I'm not going to update. Unless the CPU won't POST, then I see no need to update the BIOS.

Please note a slight change to the Config.plist file in the Clover/Devices/Arbitrary section. See the Edit/Updates section at the bottom of the first post for more details. It's best if only STRING values are in the description (no DATA entries).

This change may help with lingering BT/Wifi issues that may in turn be affecting iMessages and AirDrop.

How this came about is that I noticed a lost of Wifi on the Z390 Designare build and finally tracked it down to the DATA entries for the Broadcom Arbitrary description, and so am applying this finding to the ASRock mobo. I'm now going to re-visit other DATA sections, including those inside SSDTs, to see they might be influencing, or preventing, various functions (such as TB3).

To re-clarify the whole Arbitrary section: it's main purpose is to provide 'cosmetic' descriptions for the System Information section, specifically, the PCI tab on the left. The computer will work fine without these descriptions, but it is useful to have them. In fact, its presence, in the PCI section, is what gave me the clue as to the DATA section being at fault.

Last edited:
Hello @rj510

With the new "v2" config.plist and patched folders, I'm not seeing all the audio output sources that I was seeing before and I am unable to use or select Digital Out as my audio selection. The screenshots below will show the differences.

The screenshot on the right is using the "USBPorts" config.plist and patched folder - which correctly lists all of the audio output options, and the other on the left is using the "v2" which has some of the audio selections missing.

View attachment 411232View attachment 411233

I was able to repair the audio output device issue by updating the following in the v3 config.plist using suggestions from the Idiot's Guide to Lilu thread (AppleALC Section):

1. In Clover config, changing CLOVER/Devices/Audio/Inject to "No"
2. Changing the device-id for the Realtek ALC1220 from 48A30000 to 70A10000
3. Changing the layout-id for the Realtek ALC1220 from 10000000 to 01000000
4. Enabling the layout-id for the Realtek ALC1220 (was disabled in v3)

This now provides all the audio output devices that were available originally.

Hopefully this helps point things in the right direction, and may be able to be incorporated into an updated config.plist.

@rj510, I tried the same UEFI settings for Thunderbolt that you have along with your SSDT.aml Thunderbolt file but my System Information under Thunderbolt shows "Thunderbolt: No hardware was found." Does that mean the port isn't being recognized? OR would I need to plug in a Thunderbolt device to have this section show info on the port? I'd like to buy Sonnet's Thunderbolt 10Gb Ethernet adapter, but it's almost $200, so don't want to buy it if I can't get Thunderbolt working. Thanks.

@rj510, I tried the same UEFI settings for Thunderbolt that you have along with your SSDT.aml Thunderbolt file but my System Information under Thunderbolt shows "Thunderbolt: No hardware was found." Does that mean the port isn't being recognized? OR would I need to plug in a Thunderbolt device to have this section show info on the port? I'd like to buy Sonnet's Thunderbolt 10Gb Ethernet adapter, but it's almost $200, so don't want to buy it if I can't get Thunderbolt working. Thanks.

Ignore the "Thunderbolt: No hardware was found." This is usual for Hackintoshes and does not reflect TB functionality. Please read the first post spoilers on TB. In System Information, what is important is the PCI section, not the Thunderbolt section.

Back