Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Still my USB-C device does not show up, only if I attach it before I boot. Then if I unplug it and plug in again it is not recognized.

In light of what was written above regarding the internal ports, I've re-worked your iMac18,3 USBPorts.kext, turning off all internal HSxx but leaving on the internal SSxx ports. This puts you at the 15 port limit.

I've listed these ports as 9 (USB-C). If you still have connect problems, re-write SS07 and SS08 as 255 instead of 9 and see if that improves re-connects.

Attachments

• USBMap-iMac18,3-ASRock-Z390-ITX-IntHSxxOff.kext.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 115
While on the USB topic, have you had any luck with USB-C through the TB port? (I can get power to a USB-C drive, but the disk won't appear on the desktop.)
No, but honestly I didn't even try as I didn't need it on Mac.

What I did notice (under Windows), is that that port is connected to an altogether different XHCI controller.
The main XHCI controller is VEN_8086&DEV_A36D (Cannon Lake PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller)
And that USB-C port is on VEN_8086&DEV_15C1 (USB 3.1 XHCI) which comes from VEN_8086&DEV_15C0 (JHL6240 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge).

As mentioned, I didn't investigate it, but perhaps it needs some further tinkering with TB or maybe even a FakeID to get that second XHCI controller detected.

Last edited:
In light of what was written above regarding the internal ports, I've re-worked your iMac18,3 USBPorts.kext, turning off all internal HSxx but leaving on the internal SSxx ports. This puts you at the 15 port limit.

I've listed these ports as 9 (USB-C). If you still have connect problems, re-write SS07 and SS08 as 255 instead of 9 and see if that improves re-connects.

View attachment 409847
Hi, I tested with the new kext and get the same result. Also when changing 9 to 255. If I have plugged in USB-C HD on startup it is mounted. If I remove it it will not mount again if I plug it in again. I tested with a Satechi USB-C HUB and I can unplug and plug in again a USB and works fine. If I unplug the USB-C HUB it does not show up again if I plug it in. Like you say it seems to get power but does not show up.

Hi, concerning USB-C/TB I wonder if this is informative. In Hackintool under USB and PCI I have attached screenshots. I see 13 Canon Lake entries in PCI. There is one with ?? and also in USB. Look at the PCI devices window. When I boot with the Satechi USB-C hub connected I see lines for TB. Booting without any USB-C device and the last line is the Broadcom card. I can see the USB3 device connected to the USB-C hub but not any USB2 device. I can unplug and plug in a USB3 device, works. But if I unplug and plug in again the USB-C hub it does not show up again. So it seems
- USB-C is not recognized on TB port if nothing is present at load
- USB-C connection is lost once you unplug anything
- USB-C port can not connect to any USB2 device

PCI TB connected.png

PCI system information.png

PCI devices.png

USB controllers.png

Last edited:
Hi, concerning USB-C/TB I wonder if this is informative. In Hackintool under USB and PCI I have attached screenshots. I see 13 Canon Lake entries in PCI. There is one with ?? and also in USB. Look at the PCI devices window. When I boot with the Satechi USB-C hub connected I see lines for TB. Booting without any USB-C device and the last line is the Broadcom card. I can see the USB3 device connected to the USB-C hub but not any USB2 device. I can unplug and plug in a USB3 device, works. But if I unplug and plug in again the USB-C hub it does not show up again. So it seems
- USB-C is not recognized on TB port if nothing is present at load
- USB-C connection is lost once you unplug anything
- USB-C port can not connect to any USB2 device

View attachment 409974

View attachment 409971

View attachment 409972

View attachment 409973

Thanks for this input; this is helpful! I've started looking at the SSP1 (there is only one port, so TB3 must use either SSP1 or SSP2, and I've only seen devices connect to SSP1). XHC3, the IOReg Name with the ??? for Device name is where SSPx are branched.

I'm working on it and want to resolve this problem ASAP. One difficulty we face is this mobo uses an Alpine Ridge rather than a TItan Ridge TB chip. One of the cleanest TB3 working mobos is the GB Designare. Hot-plug TB3 works; it uses a Titan chip.

While comparing the two setups, using Hackintool as you suggested, there are some differences and I'm trying work on the SSDT file to see if this is the factor preventing hot-plug functionality. The mobo BIOS settings are different and that complicates things too, leaving many re-boot permutations to explore.

Last edited:
I think my motherboard has an issue. I haven't successfully get it running:

- no display output using HDMI (i don't have displayport monitor)
- the LED lights is slowly "breathing"
- keep restarting after approx one minutes

I tried to push the clear CMOS button while unplugging the power supply, disconnect all the cables, RAM, still nothing

Does anybody knows how to troubleshoot this kinda error?

Thanks in advance :)

I think my motherboard has an issue. I haven't successfully get it running:

- no display output using HDMI (i don't have displayport monitor)
- the LED lights is slowly "breathing"
- keep restarting after approx one minutes

I tried to push the clear CMOS button while unplugging the power supply, disconnect all the cables, RAM, still nothing

Does anybody knows how to troubleshoot this kinda error?

Thanks in advance :)
Sounds like hardware problems which is not really the scope in this discussion. You should replace - it I hope you have some guarantee! Then we can help.

Sounds like hardware problems which is not really the scope in this discussion. You should replace - it I hope you have some guarantee! Then we can help.

Thank you, @asleb. My bad. It turned out because I hadn't plugged the CPU power cable into the mobo.

Hi, rj!

Currently installing Mojave (created using UniBeast), but stuck on the boot process (black background, white apple logo, with progress bar already full).

I copied all of your attachments to the EFI folder of my Mojave USB installer:

- NoSN-config-19,1-Mojave10-5
- drivers64UEFI
- kexts
- patched

Am I missing something? This is my 1st hackintosh build.

My specs:

- Mobo ASRock z390 Phantom Gaming itx/AC
- CPU i3 8100
- RAM Kingston Hyperx fury DD4 2666 8GB (1x 8GB)
- SSD Adata SU650 120GB

Last edited:
Thank you, @asleb. My bad. It turned out because I hadn't plugged the CPU power cable into the mobo.

Hi, rj!

Currently installing Mojave (created using UniBeast), but stuck on the boot process (black background, white apple logo, with progress bar already full).

I copied all of your attachments to the EFI folder of my Mojave USB installer:

- NoSN-config-19,1-Mojave10-5
- drivers64UEFI
- kexts
- patched

Am I missing something? This is my 1st hackintosh build.

My specs:

- Mobo ASRock z390 Phantom Gaming itx/AC
- CPU i3 8100
- RAM Kingston Hyperx fury DD4 2666 8GB (1x 8GB)
- SSD Adata SU650 120GB

It sounds like a graphics card issue. Are you using iGPU? Also, carefully re-check all BIOS settings.

Maybe upload your EFI folder (removing SNs from the config file).

Last edited:
I've now spent many hours going reading many threads and trying many variations to get hot-plug to work with the Alpine Ridge that's built into this mobo. No luck.

Along the way, I tried removing all SSDTs. When I did, I found the following info in IORegistryExplorer (No TB SSDT). This suggested that some of the SSDT values being used were not needed. It also suggested that perhaps XHC1 might be a better value.

So I re-worked a previous SSDT, trying to make it as customized for this mobo as possible. Before booting the computer, you must have the dock powered and and devices like the UAD Apollo already powered and connected to the dock. This SSDT will allow hot-plugging of a USB-C drive to the dock, but the dock itself cannot be un-plugged and re-plugged. (But does anyone really need that?)

I'm uploading this TB3 SSDT here, but also re-doing the patches folder which contains it on the first post of this thread. Remember to re-check the TB BIOS section if you're still having problems with TB.

Attachments

• No TB SSDT.jpg
    No TB SSDT.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 116
  • SSDT-Z390-AR-TB3-ASRock-Z390-ITX.aml
    6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Back