Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

I'm trying your config file on mine since yesterday. I have exactly the same but a Radeon VII.
So far for good. The system seems more stable that using iMac Pro 1,1.
I'm trying your config file on mine since yesterday. I have exactly the same but a Radeon VII.
So far for good. The system seems more stable that using iMac Pro 1,1.

Good to hear!

So the iMac19,1 works better than the iMac Pro1,1 setting? Interesting.

Good to hear!

So the iMac19,1 works better than the iMac Pro1,1 setting? Interesting.

I had a few slowdown and reboot in the last week with iMacPro1,1

I'm not sure if it was related to something else.

Great Work rj510!
Is the Thunderbolt dock (CalDigit TS3) required for TB3 functionality>? Or will the Apollo show up without it ?

Great Work rj510!
Is the Thunderbolt dock (CalDigit TS3) required for TB3 functionality>? Or will the Apollo show up without it ?

Thanks!

The CalDigit dock is not needed. Any TB3 dock is optional with a TB3 device.

However, if you're trying to connect a TB1 or TB2 device, you'll need a TB3 dock as an interface. There are a number of docks listed on CaseySJ's thread that should work.

Your CPU has the same UHD 630 as the i9-9900K. So the graphics section, the most critical, will be the same. I think the only change might be a cosmetic one regarding the CPU Type shown in the attached Clover page.

The type entered ("0x01005") is for an i9-9900K. This simply used to allow the About Mac menu item to displaying the correct processor type. It is informational only, not a functional issue. I would leave as is and see what is displayed. If not correct, then simply delete "0x01005" and leave blank (or possibly someone knows another value to try).

The short answer is all should work as is.
Hi @rj510 I can't say how impressed I am with your guide, one of the most complete guides I have seen on tonymacx86! Maybe also because I have the same mobo. I returned the Aorus Z390-i Wifi because I could not replace the CNVi wifi/bt card. With the ASRock Z390 Phantom I just swapped the CNVi with a Dell DW1560. BT and WIFI just works out of the box!

I first upgraded BIOS to 1.6 from 1.2. My original setup did not work then so I copied first your setup before doing the adjustments noted below.

So here is my question(s). I am struggling to get TB to work. If I boot with a TB device attached, I can see it. Remove it, and it will not show when I plug in again.

So my difference from your setup is:
- i7-8700K
- Gigabyte RX 580 8GB
- Louqe Ghost S1 case and Scythe Big Shuriken 2 rev.b cooler so I do not use any internal USB
- I want to use all back USB ports

I took your config and changed these things:

- Disabled the internal USBs instead of the 2 back like you. So I changed this:

config ->Boot->
uia_exclude=HS07;HS08;HS09;HS12;HS13;SS05;SS06;SS07;SS08;USR1;USR2

1) Removed internal USB (HS01, HS02, HS10, HS11, SS08, SS10) from DSDT and added HS08, HS09, SS05, SS05 to SSDT-UIAC-ASRock-Z390-ITX.aml. I confirm the 2 USB ports work now with USB2 and USB3.

2) Changed SMBIOS to iMac18,3

3) Added to config -> Boot (for better performance IGX 630 and RX580) :
shikigva=4
- rad4200

4) config -> Devices -> IntelGFX: 0x59128086

5) config -> Graphics -> ig-platform-id: 0x59120003

My problems are:
-No ThunderBolt again if I unplug it once
-USB-C on TB port does not work if I unplug the USB-C device
-Long startup (stays long at "Graphics Driver failed to Load: could not register with frame buffer driver") but then loads finished

Should I stick with SMBIOS 19,3?
Is the ig-platform-id and the boot settings a problem? If I remove the ig-platform-id or change it, remove Devices->IntelGFX and remove the Boot settings for AMD I boot fast (still no TB) and performance in FinalCut Pro is much much worse.

Any suggestions? Attached the patched config.plist and SSDT

##update## I noticed in IORegistryExplorer that there is no RP05 like you wrote for TB. I only see RP06, RP09, RP17, RP21

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-ASRock-Z390-ITX.aml
    697 bytes · Views: 140
Last edited:
Hi @rj510 I can't say how impressed I am with your guide, one of the most complete guides I have seen on tonymacx86! Maybe also because I have the same mobo. I returned the Aorus Z390-i Wifi because I could not replace the CNVi wifi/bt card. With the ASRock Z390 Phantom I just swapped the CNVi with a Dell DW1560. BT and WIFI just works out of the box!

I first upgraded BIOS to 1.6 from 1.2. My original setup did not work then so I copied first your setup before doing the adjustments noted below.

So here is my question(s). I am struggling to get TB to work. If I boot with a TB device attached, I can see it. Remove it, and it will not show when I plug in again.

So my difference from your setup is:
- i7-8700K
- Gigabyte RX 580 8GB
- Louqe Ghost S1 case and Scythe Big Shuriken 2 rev.b cooler so I do not use any internal USB
- I want to use all back USB ports

I took your config and changed these things:

- Disabled the internal USBs instead of the 2 back like you. So I changed this:

config ->Boot->
uia_exclude=HS07;HS08;HS09;HS12;HS13;SS05;SS06;SS07;SS08;USR1;USR2

1) Removed internal USB (HS01, HS02, HS10, HS11, SS08, SS10) from DSDT and added HS08, HS09, SS05, SS05 to SSDT-UIAC-ASRock-Z390-ITX.aml. I confirm the 2 USB ports work now with USB2 and USB3.

2) Changed SMBIOS to iMac18,3

3) Added to config -> Boot (for better performance IGX 630 and RX580) :
shikigva=4
- rad4200

4) config -> Devices -> IntelGFX: 0x59128086

5) config -> Graphics -> ig-platform-id: 0x59120003

My problems are:
-No ThunderBolt again if I unplug it once
-USB-C on TB port does not work if I unplug the USB-C device
-Long startup (stays long at "Graphics Driver failed to Load: could not register with frame buffer driver") but then loads finished

Should I stick with SMBIOS 19,3?
Is the ig-platform-id and the boot settings a problem? If I remove the ig-platform-id or change it, remove Devices->IntelGFX and remove the Boot settings for AMD I boot fast (still no TB) and performance in FinalCut Pro is much much worse.

Any suggestions? Attached the patched config.plist and SSDT

##update## I noticed in IORegistryExplorer that there is no RP05 like you wrote for TB. I only see RP06, RP09, RP17, RP21

I think you might not need items 3-5 if you're using Mojave 14.5. So, I removed them and also removed the Devices/Property section for the iGPU. I assume you've enabled PCIe for the graphics card, but did you leave enabled the iGPU (further down on the same page)? It is my understanding that you want to leave it enabled for best FCP behavior.

As for the TB settings, I used RP21, changing from RP05 (RP05 does not work with this mobo), as this SSDT file was borrowed from a GB z390 Designare build. USB-C on the TB port has not worked consistently for me. I also had some issues with TB connections after updating Clover from r4934, as I mentioned in an update post last week. Did you make any changes to the SSDT for TB? If so, upload this file and let me look it over. The other issue might be the TB BIOS settings; we might need to tweak them. Also, can you upload a screen shot of the IORegistryExplorer's RP06 to RP21 sections?

For item 1, the port definition for SS05 and SS06 was incorrect. I fixed and uploaded.

Regarding SMBIOS 19,3; your setting of 18,3 should be okay, but missing were some values on the Clover "Rt Variables" page. I entered a value for the ROM, but you need to supply your SN plus 5 random characters to create the MLB.

Next, go to the SYMBIOS page and re-fill in your SN and BSN (which I removed so as not to reveal your SNs on this thread; and you should delete your config.plist from your last post since it contains a SN and BSN). And maybe re-generate a new SmUUID.

Finally, try re-booting with this new config.plist. As for BIOS Fast boot, this should be disabled for all Hackintoshes.

Depending on how this responds, perhaps re-test FCP with a re-introduction of IntelGFX. However, my understanding is that IntelGFX should be left blank with Mojave 14.5. Another thread (here), from someone more knowledgeable than I, may be more helpful for this topic.

Attachments

• config-4.plist
    11.1 KB · Views: 186
  • SSDT-UIAC-ASRock-Z390-ITX.aml
    697 bytes · Views: 137
Last edited:
I think you might not need items 3-5 if you're using Mojave 14.5. So, I removed them and also removed the Devices/Property section for the iGPU. I assume you've enabled PCIe for the graphics card, but did you leave enabled the iGPU (further down on the same page)? It is my understanding that you want to leave it enabled for best FCP behavior.

As for the TB settings, I used RP21, changing from RP05 (RP05 does not work with this mobo), as this SSDT file was borrowed from a GB z390 Designare build. USB-C on the TB port has not worked consistently for me. I also had some issues with TB connections after updating Clover from r4934, as I mentioned in an update post last week. Did you make any changes to the SSDT for TB? If so, upload this file and let me look it over. The other issue might be the TB BIOS settings; we might need to tweak them. Also, can you upload a screen shot of the IORegistryExplorer's RP06 to RP21 sections?

For item 1, the port definition for SS05 and SS06 was incorrect. I fixed and uploaded.

Regarding SMBIOS 19,3; your setting of 18,3 should be okay, but missing were some values on the Clover "Rt Variables" page. I entered a value for the ROM, but you need to supply your SN plus 5 random characters to create the MLB.

Next, go to the SYMBIOS page and re-fill in your SN and BSN (which I removed so as not to reveal your SNs on this thread; and you should delete your config.plist from your last post since it contains a SN and BSN). And maybe re-generate a new SmUUID.

Finally, try re-booting with this new config.plist. As for BIOS Fast boot, this should be disabled for all Hackintoshes.

Depending on how this responds, perhaps re-test FCP with a re-introduction of IntelGFX. My understanding is that IntelGFX should be left blank with Mojave 14.5. Another thread which is useful is here (from someone more knowledgeable than I).
Thanks @rj510 for your fast reply and great help! I can not express how thankful I am for guys like you. I installed the files and boot time is very good now. Also in FCP I have great results like before but now without the extra IntelFGX entries. Now I wonder if my TB hard drive is broken and my TB expansion box suddenly does not work on another Mac so I have to get another one to test. But I did not get any response from a USB-C drive. I have an Icy Box with a NVMe drive that works fine on a MacBook Pro with TB. I have to test this and get back to you when I have at least a TB device that I am sure is OK. I have attached the IOReg screenshot of RP21. Is this correct?

Also I did not change anything in the original TB aml file. So it should be good to go?

I also deleted and uploaded again my config.plist without serials!

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2019-06-02 kl. 22.44.50.png
    Skjermbilde 2019-06-02 kl. 22.44.50.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 239
Thanks @rj510 for your fast reply and great help! I can not express how thankful I am for guys like you. I installed the files and boot time is very good now. Also in FCP I have great results like before but now without the extra IntelFGX entries. Now I wonder if my TB hard drive is broken and my TB expansion box suddenly does not work on another Mac so I have to get another one to test. But I did not get any response from a USB-C drive. I have an Icy Box with a NVMe drive that works fine on a MacBook Pro with TB. I have to test this and get back to you when I have at least a TB device that I am sure is OK. I have attached the IOReg screenshot of RP21. Is this correct?

Also I did not change anything in the original TB aml file. So it should be good to go?

I also deleted and uploaded again my config.plist without serials!

Your uploads look good. I'm happy to hear it's all booting and running well!

I think your TB3 will work just fine once your TB dock, etc., is working. As for the USB-C, you can try adjusting the BIOS USB support to see if that works for you. I have a USB-C drive on this mobo, and it won't connect via the TB connector. (It gets powered, but won't load the drive onto the Desktop.) I've tried various USB settings with the SSDT but without any help.

Your uploads look good. I'm happy to hear it's all booting and running well!

I think your TB3 will work just fine once your TB dock, etc., is working. As for the USB-C, you can try adjusting the BIOS USB support to see if that works for you. I have a USB-C drive on this mobo, and it won't connect via the TB connector. (It gets powered, but won't load the drive onto the Desktop.) I've tried various USB settings with the SSDT but without any help.
Just a question, should I see Thunderbolt in System Information? How does your Thunderbolt menu look like? See attached screenshot. It says: No hardware found.
thunderbolt.png

Just a question, should I see Thunderbolt in System Information? How does your Thunderbolt menu look like? See attached screenshot. It says: No hardware found.
View attachment 409518

This field is always blank on Hackintoshes—even on real Macs sometimes.

You should see TB data on the PCI entry about 8 spots up from this Thunderbolt entry. See the System Information spoiler in the first post on this thread for an example.

BTW, today, I added a USBPorts method for USB activation. See the USBPorts spoiler for details.

Last edited:
Back