Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

I have a Radeon 570 that I'm planning on using. But for the install, I physically pulled it out of the mobo and enabled onboard graphics. I have gone through all of your B IOSsettings, including CFG Unlock, and I am also using v 1.6. I did not swap the BT card, but don't need WiFi working on this build. After playing around with things for a while, I got passed the first stage of the installation (although there was a reboot during '2 minutes remaining'). I am now stuck on the second stage of the installation. I get to where it says 'installing' - 'about 15 minutes remaining'. Previously, it was restarting, but adding debug=0x100 prevents the restart but it is frozen.
Mojave version 14.5.02
I did install the patches inside the ACPI folder.

One thing I was confused about. Inside your kexts.zip. The kexts inside the 'in LE folder' don't get installed until after the initial install, right? There's no other hidden place inside the EFI partition that I need to put those, correct?

Also, also strange, when I open Clover, I can no longer see the 'install mac os' partition to get back into the main installer. I have another physical drive with Windows 10 on this system, and if I check out the drive that supposedly has Mojave installed on it, it is still completely full; leading me to believe that the initial first stage was unable to do write operations for some reason. I'm using a Samsung EVO 970 NvME so that should be fine. I dunno...i've spent way too long on this.

Hi. So yeah, went through all your BIOS and definitely match there. Didn't swap out the BT card, using iGPU, pulled out my hardware GFX card (RX570). Installed patches folder. Tried the boot arguments...they prevent the restarts but now things just freeze. I'm using a Samsung EVO 970 NvMe drive. I've never had this much trouble with a hackintosh installation.

If you have time for a quick phone call or something I know that may be out of the ordinary but I could really use a hand! I'm a competent programmer and this has really stumped me! PM me if you're able to do that.

Thanks for your help so far! Hopefully I'll get it....

OK, I found out what's going on. Samsung NVMe drives are not created equal! I have the 970 EVO Plus....the 970 EVO is compatible but the Plus version is not...

OK, I found out what's going on. Samsung NVMe drives are not created equal! I have the 970 EVO Plus....the 970 EVO is compatible but the Plus version is not....

Yes, the Plus version is a no-go. Sorry, but you'll need a different drive. I've been happy with the WD Black drives; a little less expensive than some of the Samsungs.

As for the /L/E/ kexts, these files are transferred once you've finished the install.

Open your primary drive, click on the Library folder (not the one inside the System folder), then click and open the Extensions folder. Copy the contents of the 'in LE folder' into this Extension folder. Then ,you want to re-build the caches using something like the "Kext Utility" app. After that re-boot.

So lucky me...after about 16 hours of straight hair pulling out. Samsung decided to release a firmware update for the 970 EVO Plus. Crazy timing. Just released yesterday. Fixes the issues, and I installed with no problems :)

1 question left for you...I have my build in a Fractal Node case, and it's quite big for my needs (touring with a band)...I opted for this case because I could fit a big Noctua cooler in there, but I was wondering how your thermal performance is with the tiny case & cooling rig. Can you get 5GHz?

VirtualSMC is reporting CPU voltage and FAN speeds on the Designare Z390! But it requires HWMonitorSMC2 to display those values. The latest HWSensors3 package includes HWMonitorSMC 2.4.2, but you have the newer 2.4.5 which I tried to download from post 1 of this thread, but that's a 1KB alias and not the actual App.

Can you please provide a download URL or upload the actual file? If this works, it can be a very good update to the Designare build guide!

VirtualSMC is reporting CPU voltage and FAN speeds on the Designare Z390! But it requires HWMonitorSMC2 to display those values. The latest HWSensors3 package includes HWMonitorSMC 2.4.2, but you have the newer 2.4.5 which I tried to download from post 1 of this thread, but that's a 1KB alias and not the actual App.

Can you please provide a download URL or upload the actual file? If this works, it can be a very good update to the Designare build guide!

I'd not verified that the HWMonitorSMC download worked. So thanks for finding the error in the download! It's now working.

Oddly enough, I'd changed to VirtualSMC a couple of days ago on your Designare build, but was so busy trying to re-fix TB3 on this mobo, that I forgot to post on your thread my findings. As I showed on the "HWMonitorSMC Report" spoiler on this post, VirtualSMC with its own sensors, better reports the number of fans, than FakeSMC. The sensors are within the Kexts download.

I'm sure you know, but perhaps others may not have noticed, that VirtualSMC.kext and its sensors, also require the presence of VirtualSMC.efi in the drivers64UEFI folder (also present in the download section on the first post). And finally, VirtualSMC requires that one removes FakeSMC.kext (along with its sensors) and SMCHelper.efi.

Last edited:
1 question left for you...I have my build in a Fractal Node case, and it's quite big for my needs (touring with a band)...I opted for this case because I could fit a big Noctua cooler in there, but I was wondering how your thermal performance is with the tiny case & cooling rig. Can you get 5GHz?

I've not yet installed into the Dan case. I hope to do this tomorrow. I'll be adding a 120mm AIO, so thermals should be good even in a SFF case. Presently the small fan is open so thermals are misleading.

As for 5GHz, what little testing I did (not optimizing voltages), led to crashes. (Unlike on the larger Z390 Designare build, which easily tolerates 5GHz.) I've left it at 4.3GHz for now and unless you're doing something fringe like Prime95 runs, the temps at 4.3GHz are in the 40's, but again, an open, breadboarded mobo.

I'm trying your config file on mine since yesterday. I have exactly the same but a Radeon VII.
So far for good. The system seems more stable that using iMac Pro 1,1.

Back